Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / A Sticky Situation...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5886 days, 23 hours, 35 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 19, 2006 at 19:12 (GMT -5)

Alright, I'm ripping my hair out on this one (not literally, but...). I decided to start playing ADoM again several weeks ago and go for an ultra ending this time. Well, right now, I have a level 49 (almost 50) High Elven Archer, a Champion of Law, who is on his way to slay a certain lightning-fast foe in a very deep dungeon. However, it is past the 90-day limit, my character is currently circa level 110, and the lightning-fast foe is circa level 215. I just realized I have only 2 blessed SoCR, and about 16 corruptions. This is an awesome character (I have plenty of arrows, running out is not a problem), but I'm greatly fearing my inevitable doom of changing into a WMoPC. The rate of corruption gains have been making me more than a little nervous.

My question is, should I keep going and hope I get lucky (seeing as the deeper you go the luckier you get, I think?), or turn back while I still have a shade of a chance of surviving? Survival otherwise is not a problem. Also of note, I have learned a number of spells, including Teleportation and Magic Map. However, casting Magic Map doesn't seem to reveal much, and rarely does it show me where the down staircase is. I think if I had a reliable way of finding where the down staircase is and teleporting to it each level, I might be able to make it to the lightning-fast foe and take him out, and still make it back to the surface.

The foe won't be a problem, either. 56 unerring arrows have his name written all over them.

So, what do you people think?

(Btw, I'm being cryptic so I don't cause any spoilers. Just so you don't think I'm weird or something. Oh, wait... ha ha...)
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Portrait
FUNKtional Key
Registered user
A Die-Hard Tactician

Last page view:

5791 days, 6 hours, 53 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 07:42 (GMT -5)

incorrect 1st kill = no ultra ending
strictly imho, u won't make it, better go out, scum for black unicorns or wishes, cure the god-damn corruption, close the gate and then venture into ID as deep as possible=)
All roads lead to chaos, in the end.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

Yeah, that's probably what I'll have to end up doing. Oh well. Normal ending (if I can even make it) is better than no ending. And maybe I'll still grab the TotRR before leaving the chain...

If I can make it back to the surface...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 15 hours, 23 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 15:04 (GMT -5)

You've definitely gotten all the guaranteed SoCRs already? What about writing sets? If you have pickpocketing then you may survive the deep plunge by nabbing enough SoCRs and PoCCs, but I think you'll find that going that deep is very bad for your health in many other ways.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 20, 2006 at 19:01 (GMT -5)

Let's see... I got six scrolls from saving the guy, I got five scrolls from delivering the weird tome, and three more scrolls from a wish. So now I'm down to two left. I can't enter the bug temple because I foolishly started a new character without the requisite number of deaths. Unless I find a wand of wishing with several charges, I probably wouldn't survive making it down to level 215. I also forgot to mention that I rather foolishly let Guth'Alak die... so no greater white unicorn quest. Nor PoCC for slain guardians. An Ultra Ending for this character I guess is now rather out of the question, unless I want to spend an eternity in levels 8 and 9 (staying out of background corruption's influence) until I find enough wishes to stock up on tons of SoCR to survive a trip that deep...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: