Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Multiple crowning?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Eyeghost
Registered user

Last page view:

6486 days, 12 hours, 59 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 at 13:49 (GMT -5)

I play now adom 1.1.1 with a L+ Dwarf Healer I have been crowned once already, but I remember that when I played last time (some 2 yrs ago), it was possible to get many crownings. After my crowning I have sacrificed big amounts of money, some 250 000$ but my piety never goes higher than "*god* seems to be very close to you." and my prayer remains unheard. So, is it possible to get multiple crownings anymore?
Portrait
Armada
Registered user

Last page view:

1226 days, 5 hours, 39 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 21, 2006 at 23:03 (GMT -5)

Yes. But its not the same as an actual crowning. You get an artifact, but very specific conditions must apply.

I'm both extremely exhausted right now, and too lazy to list them out though. Its been discussed quite a lot on the forums, so browse around for Precrowning or Postcrowning
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 17 hours, 32 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

Hmm, the biggest problem for you is probably the number of artifacts that can be generated, since saccing 250k gold should certainly be enough for a dwarf. To get a postcrowning you must not be cursed or doomed, and you must be at a minimum lvel according to the number of artifacts generated in the game. The level you must be is 8 + an additional 3 per artifact generated. So if you've generated the si, the moon sickle, and your crowning artifact, then you must be of level 8 + 3*3 = 17. If you've had a bunch of other artifacts generated in the game (by doing the pyramid and several of the dwarven quests for instance) then you'll probably never have a chance to get a postcrowning. This is why most people go for precrownings early in the game.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Eyeghost
Registered user

Last page view:

6486 days, 12 hours, 59 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

brr i must be lvl 59 to get a crown :D
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 23 hours, 27 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

Pre- and postcrownings can only be awarded when:
Character level >= 8 + 3*n (n being number of articats generated so far). And this is the biggest problem to getting precrowns yes.

You need a fair amount of piety to get (pre/post)crowned, amount getting larger with each crowning. This usually stops me from getting more than 2. (2 + 1 normal crowning)

You need to NOT be at extreme alignment (L+, N=, C-) for precrowns (otherwise normal crowning will occur). Saccing at N altar will draw you fast to N= so you need some way to change alignment before you pray (not hard to do, but makes it harder to "test" if you have enough piety.

You need to not be doomed, but you never will be since you are saccing at altar to get piety (okay, I know of a cheap trick where this does not happen, but thats a bug...)

My own recommandations:
Aim to get one or two precrownings. And aim to get either Lawful or chaotic with live sacrifices (neutral is a pain due to all the neutral monsters). Of course supplement with herbfood or gold if dwarf, or cooked corpses (of summoned creatures because you would still sac live ones) if hurthling etc etc. If you HAVE herbalism you might do better by harvesting if you got a good garden. But you should not kill black druid before. (you can generate HIM, but an artifact is generated on his death)
. About herbs, the following pattern will grow pretty big in a (the) big room:

"oo
"""
o"o

If you find an altar in say Village/druid dungeon you could level up to 11 and then get 2 precrowns. Alternatively you could go to Dwarftown (generate the si on the way) so you can do some SI-multiplying cash-stat gains while you wait around to sac the sods. Then you must do it at level 14. Ive done both of these approaches, the Dwarftown is my usual now. Also because there is a guaranteed altar there if all else fails you can sac food and gold on that.

You could potentially get 4 precrowns at level 17, and then still do the pyramid for the artifacts there, but I'd never have the patience to. Artifacts dont kill monsters, PEOPLE kill monsters.

For me it depends a bit on which artifacts I'm given. One good weapon and I might just stick by it and carry on the game (odds are Ill get a crap weapon after). It depends on whether you want to please the ratling and need artifacts.

If a random artifact is generated along the way I thank my good fortune (WHY? Cause it was a lucky random and now I don't have to sac 100+ monsters) and settle for one less.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 17 hours, 32 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 13:40 (GMT -5)

Dooming is possible whilst saccing at an altar, if you're wearing an item that makes you doomed. Thus if for instance you were using a weapon of damnation to get a higher monster generation rate (and thus more live sacs) then be sure to remove it before praying for your precrowning.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5141 days, 23 hours, 27 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 18:16 (GMT -5)

Oh yes agreed. *whap* self.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: