Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Well snap, lost another one...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

6486 days, 8 hours, 40 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 19:37 (GMT -5)

Howdy. I'm fairly new to ADOM. I played it a while back and got completely frustrated with it. Recently I found it again, quite by accident but decided to give it another shot.

Well, several shots. I'm on my 28th character at this point and my best character is a level 8 Grey elf assassin who's currently lying dead on the second level of the chaos dungeon. He died from acute blood poisoning and a very angry bee hive..(notes to raise first aid more next time..).

Anyhow I got a few questions:

When talking to NPCs, how do you get more of their dialogue? I only get one line or so and have to go to my message buffer to read anything else they might have said. Surely there's a better way?

Also I've been playing Rangers and Assassin's a lot. I'm assuming it's possible to beat the game on any configuration? But I've been using the rangers and assassins because I don't like the shields and what not. I'd rather rely on my DV to avoid the enemy and hack em up instead of just absorbing their blows. But am I dooming myself by not using a shield?

*goes back to ADOM* Maybe I'll make it past level 2 this time (furthest I've gotten thus far lol).
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3119 days, 4 hours, 29 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

Heh, you don't like shields? Get used to them, assassins are fragile beings, they tend not to do well without protection.
Rangers on the other side are fragile beings, who tend to get killed early on if you don't be carefull.

Try something easy, like an orcish barbarian. Use a spear and a shield, and have fun.
With those I don't remember the last time something killed me while I was under 10th level.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 20:37 (GMT -5)

Yah but I don't like playing cookie cutter characters. However I may start using a shield because I just found a crystal one [+9,+4].

That's hard to turn down..
Sargoth
Registered user
Bard

Last page view:

4957 days, 19 hours, 23 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 21:48 (GMT -5)

Well, if you have enough offensive punch, the lack of shields won't be much of a concern. However, if you really want a high DV value, then shields is _the_ way to go. For every level you gain in the shield skill you gain two DV points, which adds up to quite a lot after a few levels..

http://tankefel.blogspot.com/

So far you have only killed one wild cat.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5886 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 22:45 (GMT -5)

I would also like to add: Don't get discouraged when a *lot* of your characters die when you start playing. And I mean a *lot*. It's part of the learning curve, and I really must say that ADoM does have a bit of a steep learning curve. For example, when I started playing, I thought some dungeon levels were impassable since I couldn't find the proper keys anywhere, and I didn't know you could kick down doors. Lots of things like that. However, as you play, you get used to the game, and it starts to get a lot easier, and funner.

If you really want to enjoy ADoM, keep playing, and don't get discouraged if you get really far and die. You'll make it even farther with another character eventually. That's just the way it works.

As far as shields and DV goes, I'm compelled to agree with pretty much everything that's been said here. Shields = higher chances of survival. Of course, that's sheer logistics. If you're going for style (and I agree that dual-wielding weapons is a lot more stylish than a weapon and a shield; and if ADoM is not about style, then what is it?) go ahead and wield 'em.

But, like you said, if you find a really good shield, at least pick it up. You never know when you may land in a bind...

[EDIT] Oh yeah, I love assassins, too. They may be weak, but they're so cool... I need to try to win at least once with an assassin sometime... Dark Elven assassin, maybe... ooooooo...
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/23/2006 at 22:48 (GMT -5) by Kirbot]
Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 00:40 (GMT -5)

Yah I just now got my new character (GE Assassin) to where my last died and then a bit beyond that.

A short sword of Vampirism and the crystal shield that I mentioned earlier has helped out tremendously. Alas, I lost my beautiful sword to a rust monster but found a mithril broadsword +5 not too far off. It doesn't heal me but it hits harder to compensate.

Anyways I **finally** made it to the Dwarven city and if I had been my character I would have kissed the sweet sweet ground many a time once I saw I was safe for a spell.

Now I just gotta decide whether I should buy this ring of controlled teleportation. It's 1000 gold but it doesn't tell me how many charges it has...
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 00:49 (GMT -5)

Ah. Rings don't have charges. That's probably a ring of teleportation control. It itself doesn't let you teleport, but if you're wearing it when something *does* cause you to teleport, it allows you to choose where you end up. Probably worth it, at least until you find and eat a blink dog.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 01:16 (GMT -5)

What does that do? I had a blink dog corpse earlier but was planning on saving it. Figured it did something, just wasn't in the place to find out what it did. By the time I got to a safer location, it had long rotted away.
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6109 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 11:01 (GMT -5)

my favorites are grey elf archers

usually, i dual weild tower shields (i find more than you would expect by getting the 'treasure hunter' talent before I go through the UD)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 9 hours and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

With regard to bees, closing doors on them really helps, as it does with all animals you want to avoid.

I'd recommend you use a spear + shield combo for every character. Forget being "cool", or even causing damage. The important thing is not to get hit, and you can get insane amounts of DV pretty quick with a good shield and a spear. Assassins are very frail, and grey elves even more so. You might find more luck with buffer characters. Hurthlings are a great starting class, and archers are known to be the best class in the game. Elven priests are a personal favourite class of mine, especially if they start off with an offensive spell.

As for the teleporting, normally if you teleport it takes you to a random place on the level. If you have teleport control (like the ring gives) then it lets you choose where on the level you can teleport to. Blink dogs corpses are one of the few rare ways to get this intrinsic permanently.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 00:22 (GMT -5)

I'm not concerned about being cool. Who would know anyways? What I wnated to avoid was playing the game in a way that everyone else does. IE the Shield and spear way. Or just a shield period.

But unfortunately that doesn't seem to be an option. Which makes sense, from a realistic standpoint. But it makes the game seem...lacking..when you only have a chance of beating it one set way, or a couple of set ways.
Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 01:01 (GMT -5)

Ok and one last question. I ate a blink dog corpse so how do I teleport now? Do I need another item?
nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6109 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 02:37 (GMT -5)

blink dog corpse does not make you teleport.

it just gives you control of it when you do teleport.

for example: if i set off a teleport trap, i will be sent to a random space on the level.

if i hav eaten a blink dog corpse, it will not send me to a random place, but rather: it will send me to wherever on the level I want.
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

Alynn, it's definitely possible to win without a spear/shield combo, or even a shield at all. It's just probably the easiest with them. But even that is debatable.

And earlier, I said "stylish" not "cool." There is a difference. At least there is in my twisted, chaotic and corrupted mind. I guess I meant that it's all about imagination anyway, so personally I find it neater to imagine my guy wailing away at goblins with a long sword in each hand.

On a last note, some possible methods of teleportation include:
- Wands of teleportation (be sure to press '5' after using it so you target yourself)
- Scrolls of teleportation (not sure if the same applies as for the wand)
- Casting the teleportation spell (on yourself, using '5')
- Teleportation traps (stand on one and press Ctrl-T)
- Teleportitis (an intrinsic you gain from eating pixie corpses or from drinking pools, etc.)
- A certain corruption

There are probably even a few others, but I can't think of them at the moment. There are a few specialty cases, like when you try to go down a certain staircase in a certain dungeon without doing a certain other thing first. Hah, that was cryptic...

Alynn
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

Ah, so I don't need my ring of teleport control any more, then?

Eating a pixie corpse, though, gives you control over teleporting?
Silfir in the States
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 15:50 (GMT -5)

If you've eaten a blink dog corpse, you probably won"t need it anymore, but be careful, as it is possible to lose teleport control again. Keep it, just in case. That one stone won't bug you down greatly.

A pixie corpse doesn't grant teleport control, it will only teleport you around randomly. Without teleport control, that is *very* annoying. With teleport control, it's pretty cool, but less useful than you'd think, since it *never* kicks in when you need it ;)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5054 days, 5 hours, 43 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 at 18:14 (GMT -5)

I've currently got a Dark Elven Ranger, who has yet to even touch a shield. Two swords all the way. Lv 29, kicking some keister, wiped out 2 greater undead vaults and a greater giant vault (you know, the truly exicted jobbies). I'm loving him. Two temples to go, you just KNOW he'll kark it somehow....
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5143 days, 14 hours, 54 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 20:10 (GMT -5)

Sooooo

You got a lvl 29 Dark Elven Ranger who killed a greater undead vault while dualwielding? How on earth? Lich Kings are bad enough, but there should be Emperors too...

I finish the game with characters who are afraid of emperor liches (at least hand to hand)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5054 days, 5 hours, 43 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

Crowned with Suns Messenger......just stayed in the wilderness till I had a ton of arrows, and then stood there and blasted away for an eternity. Only two emperor liches killed (one in each), but a lot of lich kings.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: