Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Quick Question...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5886 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 23:11 (GMT -5)

Do most of you consider it cheating to use the guidebook to answer the stat-questions at the beginning of the game to gear your character in one direction or another? Like, say, answering lots of +St and +To questions for a fighter, and +Le and +Wi for a spellcaster? Or is it considered no worse than gremlin scumming?

And, if it is, then how about memorizing each of the questions and their answers, respectively? :D
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4241 days, 12 hours, 4 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

I don't consider it to be particularly cheating, no. The game has ways of turning it against you - early on you gain levels slower if you have very high stats, especially if they apply more to your class (eg Mana for spellcasters), so you may actually find it more difficult in the very early stages. Personally I find the question system way too tedious to bother dealing with, especially when you'll often end up with crap stats anyway, or the character will die within 15 minutes. Anyone who goes to the length of memorising the ansers is just, well, insane. I mean that in the best way possible of course ;)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Kirbot
Registered user
BattleHax0r of Devastation

Last page view:

5886 days, 20 hours, 16 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2006 at 16:00 (GMT -5)

Alright, thanks Darren. The reason I ask is because for wizards and other spellcasters, it can be difficult to train Learning, and if you start out with very low Learning, it can be very problematic. The only wizard I ever won with, I used the questions to get his starting Le above 20 so he could learn from books more easily. Everything else was pretty easily trainable.
Molach: "I like to have 200+ hp and over 5 good healin potions when I do [the fire] temple. AND some way of killing the Wyrm"

Morio: "Some way of killing the worm is recommended, yes :D"
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5143 days, 17 hours, 58 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 20:25 (GMT -5)

It's not cheating, its spoily. Because I suppose you could work out the meaning of all questions yourself, given enough time.

I don't think this is spoily, but you can buy up skills like Learning with cash you know...

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: