Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / David Gemmel passes away

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5056 days, 8 hours, 52 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 at 13:22 (GMT -5)

Heard today that my all time favourite author David Gemmell, died today after having a quadruple heart bypass a couple of weeks ago. His books, especially 'Legend' are some of the bestselling in England. Awesome fantasy writer. If you haven't read any of his works, I highly recommend them.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/28/2006 at 13:23 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 16 hours, 46 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 at 19:31 (GMT -5)

oh god tell me your joking, please please please pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease pleaseplease please say your joking? that this is some cruel taunt !
now i shall never be able to read shield of thunder, or the 3rd part of troy, i shall inshrine my autograped copy of legend
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

argh! its true! i will light a candle for him right know, that will lead him to the Source.
i feel so sad.
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 02:01 (GMT -5)

I feel exactly the same Chaos Muffin. It's a sad week. I'm going to have to start re-reading all his books again. But its sad to think, no more Druss, no more Waylander (who was the coolest), no more Rigante and no more more Jon Shannow. My autographed book is also going to be be put away for good. Truely, a great man.

------------
I feel so lost, David Gemmell has gone for good.
"Who the hell said I'm gone laddie?"

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/2/2006 at 02:05 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
ChaossyMuffin
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 at 20:09 (GMT -5)

One of the saddest things is he was mostly through a trilogy at the time (troy) the 2nd book should be finished because it was due out next month, but the third one? people keep telling me theyll get a 'ghost'writer in, but *no-one* makes charcters a cool and in depth as gemmell.
Waylander was awesome wasn't he? i especially like Hero in the Shadows (I am Yu-Yu Liang! feared from here to the Jian Seas!)
And something cool in one of his books (swords of night and day or white wolf) has a truley wicked map of the Drenai World> check it out if you havent already.
I still rate Legend as one of his finest works, i brought it brand new and now it very ragged and well read :)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 at 02:05 (GMT -5)

My copy of Legend is pretty old, but kept together by the weight of all his other boks pressed against it. It's a shame that his new series has been cut short, and it should always be left so now IMO. No one could do a job as good as he. Had I not got all his books already, I would have rushed out to buy every single one as a tribute to him. I'll just have to become the new 'Sieben', and dedicate my own writing to his honour.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

That would be Awesome, do some fanfic! ive checked out fanfic.com, but there is no gemmell fans there.
Ditto on my copy of legend, once was new and shiny, but now is tattered, yellowed, dog eared and sellotaped. :P
What did you think of Morningstar? was the first one i read, and its the only one written in the first person perspective (i did this, i did that...) quite a cool take on the robin hood style.
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 07:54 (GMT -5)

I really liked it actually. Favourite character had to be Wulf I think. He was rockin. A shame he didn't do more books like that.
My favourite series by him has to either be the Waylander series, or the Lion of Macedone one. Waylander is just a true badass IMO, and since I'm a history student, the Lion of Macedon books just fit so well. Echoes of the Great Song was good as well.

Of course, Legend is just awesome. Druss just has to be the biggest and most hardcore badass of all time.

Also, I loved the Sipstrassi Tales. Shame we don't have any to bring him back to life.

---
And I don't want the world to see me, cos I don't think that they'd understand.
When everythings made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 16:39 (GMT -5)

Dark Moon was good also, and waylander is indeed the unassailable, unbeatable, unshakable bad ass of herioc fiction. I thought Ravenheart was really really good> David based Jaim Grymach on his (step)father.
My favorite from Morningstar was Jarek Mace, followed by Piercollo, the giant tuscan guy, when he ripped the head of the Vampyre i said to my self, 'now that is a staunch mother bleeper'

*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

Going with the Rigante, Midnight Falcon was awesome, especially when Rage took it upon himself to fight Voltan, and the goes completely old school on him, before they start doing that Karate Kid thing, tapping stuff and he kills Voltan in true style. One of my favourite moments that.

I wasn't really a fan of Mace, he just never did it for me. Piercollo was cool tho, I'll admit, specially when he says to Mace 'You are in time to watch me eat MY lunch'. genius

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

haha 'if you had of wanted a one fall advantage, i would have given it to you' another classic from Piercollo.
Yes Midnight Falcon was an awesome book, have you been to Gemmellmania? they did a post which was pretty cool, it was a Deathmatch of Gemmell characters fighting off against each other round by round to see who would win (winners decided my popular vote), it was cool, so cool that they did another series of the DeathMatch and David Gemmell himself even voted in it :)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 11:56 (GMT -5)

Lol AWESOME. I've been to the site, not been through the deathmatch stuff though. But now I'm going to have to go and take a look at it. I hope Druss kicks everyones ass (not Waylander though). Although someone like Skilgannon must be one of the hardest I reckons.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

Yeah, in the first deathmatch the final bout ws between Druss and Culain Le'Feragh (the mortal immortal from Ghost King and Last Sword of Power)
Guess who won?
The fighters they picked were pretty random, due to peoples strange tastes, i remeber Pagan was in there (from King beynd the Gate?) Oooh and talking about king beyond the gate, Davids orginal story by that name was a futuristic take on the King Arthur story, but his agent took the story to the publishers, came back and said the Only thing they liked about the story was the title> so he did a Total rewrite and created Tenaka Khan, Ananias, Decado (who kicks ass) and the Dragon, and joinings. wOOt

Yeah, skillgannons pretty hard, not one of my favorite characters though> youve read the swords of night and day? awesome> a reborn Druss!
*<< Words go here >>*

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 8/8/2006 at 20:19 (GMT -5) by *Chaos Muffin*]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 02:14 (GMT -5)

I know, freaky as hell! But then, everyone loves Druss.

Agreed, Decado is just freakin cool as well. Arguably the best sworsdmen ever. Reading the deathmatches, I'd have to agree he goes over Skilgannon. I don't think there is a better swordsmena live. And what a cool name. 'The Ice Killer.'

I'd like to see Viruk and Waylanded get it on. I'd go with Waylander of course, but Viruk is just one menal nut job. Who likes flowers! And of course, he may be a god. But he's a god with a broken leg!

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, August 09, 2006 at 21:21 (GMT -5)

ha! viruk is cool as. Im sure he was in one of the deathmatchs though.
Have you made David Gemmell characters in Adom?
Ive made waylander of course (human assassin born in Candle (increased healing due to Kais healing) and i made Dace (human fighter with two swords of sharpness (his two 'enchanted' swords)
Druss (human barbarian who found a great axe in the pcs, used it constantly till got axe of minotaur emperor, which henceforth was known as Snaga)
Good Fun!
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 at 02:08 (GMT -5)

I've only done it once, and that was making Serbitar. Made him, a humna mindcrafter (not a priest, since the thirty don't really cast spells). In the month of the candle. He got mauled in about 4 seconds though lol.

I'll have to try making a Druss. And Waylander to.

Hmm, could make Mace as well. But would he be a fighter/a thief/ a bard (sicne he's a jack of all trades).

Wulf would be an archer for sure. Piercollo......hmm......a barbarian? Just for the strength and toughness.

*Chaos*Muffin*
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

No no no, Wulf would be a ranger, Jace should be an archer who learns all the Thief skills, and Piercollo should be a beastfighter! rah! take that were-joining-vampyres! :)
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 at 07:39 (GMT -5)

Lol,fair enough. I went with Wulf being an archer, primarily because he used a bow. And cos at the end his statue had a longbow. But I can see why he could also be a ranger. Mace as an archer? Hmmm, not sure on that one. I'd probably put him as a ranger if not a thief. Piercollo could easily be a beastfighter though. Owen Odell would obviously be a bard.

Made myself a Druss. He did very well, but died after he walked around a corner and met a Hivemind. Even got myself a Snaga, a great axe of penetration.

Might have to try and make myself a Pendarric, human wizard, and go for an Archmage ending. Kicking everyones ass before me and then plunging into the ID in order to discover 'the truth'

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

Heh, go all the way to Crowned Champ of Law, before being corrupted to the evil of C-, and eventually finding peace at N= :P

You found a great axe of penetration!? AWESOME

I picked Wulf to be a ranger because he was also a tracker, and Mace as an archer because he preferred to kill people with minimal danger to himself :)

I think ill make, ummmm, Dardalion> but not sure whether to make him a priest or a paladin> the thirty started at Priests but with there weaponship and so on, i think Paladin suits more?

and also every one pronounces Dardalion different, i say dar-dal-yon, and one of my mates called him dard-a-lion, yourself?
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 at 11:17 (GMT -5)

I pronounce it Dar-Da-leyon, so pretty much as you do.

I think Paladin would suit more. I never really knew what to pick when making a 'thirty' character. I mean, they're monks (due to them living in a temple and dedicating their lives to living a simple life), they're fighters (for all their ass kickery), they're also priests (because of the source) and could be paladins as well (for being technically righteous warriors). It's a hard one to go with, after all the thirty don't cast spells, and instead talk telepathically and do all that mind stuff, so they could be mindcrafters. As it is, I think it has to be the paladin really. But its very debateable.

Pendarric is going quite well at the minute. Lv 14, and got some decent spells, including Ice Ball, which shuld help with the worm. No healing spells yet though, or crystals of health which is annoying, as I figure he should some sort of 'Sipstrassi' healing.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 00:53 (GMT -5)

Man, check out Dardalion :P

Dardalion, unicorn born, Blue eyes pale skin and blonde hair (that was even Dardalions colours!)
st15 le25 wi18 dx13 to17 ch11 app17 ma8 pe13
awesome starter stats, but started wwith a longsword 1D8-2! switched to the mace pretty soon :P
Went to smc and got boxed between orc and orc, so first kill was.....orc!

killed kranach, failed to save puppy,but a N altar in the pc and exciting vault of orcs yielded an everburning torch, mithril scale and an orchish knife of mayhem.

While doing the Druid quest, i found a tower adamantium shield and bracers of resistance! yeah boi! resistant to fire, cold, sleep, shock and deathrays!

and while going to the UD for training pickpockets i found a room that smells like carrots!, and directly below on level two, i found another carrot smelly room, but will have to hunt around for another potion of carrot juice :P Dardalion is only level 10,and is doing well.

well didnt find a potion of carrot juice, and lack of food and stupid cats made me have to resurface..

Character level 11, trying for a precrown, killed a wolf and found a boomerang! and a spell book of hellish flames (paladin spells sound so much cooler than wizard spells)

Precrowned lvl 12 with the Fine Leather Armour, but am currently wearing cursed armour with no means of removal....yet.

UD2, wand shop, exhorbitant prices, but a wand of trap creation, paralyzation, poison and cold, and a pick axe from a pooey dwarf.

Ud5, a chaos altar, converted to balance, to bless my water, to remove my armour, to equip
the fine leather armour w00t
Ud6 a lawful altar
Ud7 herbs
Ud8 bees and another altar

So not a bad UD dive, but sadly, no exciting vaults :(

AND i lost my everburning torch some where Grrr, maybe it exploded from a trap, maybe its just the Rng messing ith me... so am dual wielding adamantium scimitars

On way to Caverns of Chaos jackal pack left me with worn boots> am hoping for the best, but Nooooo boots of dexterity..

D2> exciting vault of Undead and a N altar
D4> another altar
D9> exciting vault of more undead> hope i dont geat that later in the game...

Dwarven elder says: kill me a ratling fencer, which was easier than originally thought, found one on D1> now to collect loot, sell it and grow mighty!

Dardalion is level 14, is dual wielding shortsword of mayhem and dagger of mayhem

So yeah, Dardalions doing well, found some cool spells.

I also thought that maybe Mindcrafters sounded right as well> If Dardalion dies ill try again with a mindcrafter.
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 06:46 (GMT -5)

Bloody hell, seems like you've got it goinf well for you! A quick run down of Pendarric as he stands now.

St:20 Le:26 Wi:29 Dx:20 To:22 Ch:17 Ap:18 Ma:26 Pe:23

Lv:18 Human Wizard

Well, he's wielding the Sword of Nonnak and a large adamantium shield. Found Wymlance in Dark Forge, so a bit of extra fodder. Not crowned yet,. haven't attempted a pre-crown since he had a few rough and tumbles just staying alive. Got Acid Ball, and teleportation ability though, so he's zipping around quite nicely. Been taken down to 4 health a couple of times, once in the ogre cave where I was gangraped, and another in the ID when a group of (now uber) jakals tried to take his shoes. had to scum the ID in order to find a fire drake for Thrundarr. Took me ages, hence I got up to lv 18 without doing much else. Still yet to touch either of the temples, and I haven't found a ring of ice yet either, which could be annoying. Got 5 blessed SoCR (all from the Mystic) and bundles of arrows of slaying/hunting/darkness, which should be useful later on. Not killed a cat yet, and I'm just hoping I don't get the Staff of the Archmagi when I get crowned

Did you ever read the Hawk Eternal, or Iron Hands daughter? What did you think of them?

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

I liked them both, they kind of seem pre-rigante :) I liked the dwarf whose name i forget (starts with B?), was it hawk eternal that had Cormac, Lennox and Layne? because theres a book where lennox is good and herioc and another where hes a mindless bully.
You have read Lord of the Silver Bow? i reckon David got Oddysseus pretty well, one of his best novels (My girlfriend cried when Agurious died)

Anyway, Dardalion is dead> couldnt resist the lure of 'great treasure is buried here' and got blasted by an emperor lich (what where the chances???)

So i think ill givve it a whirl with a mindcrafter now, probally take a few (dozen) tries, as havent played them much.
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 02:02 (GMT -5)

Dead? Noooooo!

Pendarric is still going strong.

Lv 32

St:25 Le:31 Wi:46 Dx:50 To:22 Ch:20 Ap:20 Ma:30 Pe:23

Crowned with Brannalbin's Cloak of Defense. Got the ring of the master cat, and found bracers of war in a white dragon vault. Preserver was lying in the casino so I bought that as well. Three temples down, wiped out the library and learnt all spells. (3000 for Wish?? Crikey! I only have 477!)
8 blessed SoCRs, 3 blessed scrolls of Familiar Summoning, and Acid Ball through the roof (so the final level shouldn't be THAT hard). I've got my fingers crossed.

I loved the Hawk Eternal with the whole race set up. Lennox was cool, a big friendly giant, even stronger than Piercollo!

I don't rememeber a Cormac in the book. It was Gaelen, Agwaine, Lennonx, Layne and Gwalchmai (who turned out to be gay if I remember correctly. Rather weird when I read that for the first time).

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 03:32 (GMT -5)

Yeah thats right, Gaelan, cormac was in last sword of power, i think thats the one with the bully lennox in it.

If you want to be casting that wish spell youll need the mana battery corruption and a few hundreds of wands to absorb. :)

I just made a Jarek Mace today, and was doing well (got a hatchet of devastation from the carpenter) untill he was blinded and killed by an orc butcher (very sad as he was precrowned with bracers of war)

I dunno about lennox and piercollo... piercollo did rip the head off of a vampyre :p
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 13:42 (GMT -5)

WoooHoooo! Pendarric is Lv 50 and has wiped out everything going.

Right, now to set about this archmage business. Whats the best way to go about it? I've got a wand of wishing with 3 charges (so 4 wishes). Wish now only costs 1500, so I basically just need to double my PP.

Yeah Piercollo did rip the vamps head off, but Lennox carried the Whorlstone god knows how many feet! But then, didn't Ongist carry it even further without breaking sweat?

ChaOsMuffIIn
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 14, 2006 at 20:36 (GMT -5)

Ongist carried it around an extra 12 steps ?
sigh, my gemmell characters are dying! im going to make a Waylander/Dakeyras now.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: