Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / cats and litter training

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5029 days, 17 hours, 10 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

my sister got two little cats and we're trying to figure out a way to litter train them properly. at first they started using the litter box properly, but now they sometimes pee in the most inconvenient places (my bed... twice). anyone else has cats? have you ever had this kind of problem? what did you do? note that i live in the school dorm during the week and only go back at weekends, so if the solution is something complicated, my mom probably wont agree to train them all by herself.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5769 days, 19 hours, 48 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

I've never had this problem with my cats, but here are a few questions and suggestions anyway.

How old are the cats? Young kittens (6 weeks or so) may just not be able to make it to the litter box on time. Try keeping them confined to one room with their litter box. Older kittens (4 months or older) may be reaching puberty and having an increased tendency to mark their territory as a result. Neutering or spaying will help.

If that doesn't apply, take them to the vet before you do anything else. Sometimes this is a medical problem and sometimes it is a behavioural problem, but the vet should be able to tell you which it is.

Clean up the mess very thoroughly with a citrus-scented cleaner (citrus smells unpleasant to cats). If either cat can still smell that it has peed there, it is likely to go there again. Don't use ammonia as this smells similar to urine.

For many many more tips, see http://www.fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3121 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 at 11:01 (GMT -5)

You know, they MAY have a reason to do that. Cats are vengeful creatures, they will punish you when they feel like it. They may just punish you for leaving them - cats hate that, if they didn't get enough time to love you.

Unfortunatly, if your mother doesn't want to train them, the cats will do as they please. They need to be punished by the person they feel attached to.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5009 days, 20 hours, 49 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

I myself can't bring anything intelligent to this discussion, but do not, in any case, kill the cats... ;)
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5449 days, 7 hours, 13 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

Your cats may just hate you. I have two cats, one who doesn't move around and the other is an evil genius. Both of them run around puking in the house, and pee on my clothes (they used to). I think you should just leave them in the room with litterbox for several weeks, then let them out. If they don't get trained, then accidently,like in adom, "bump" into them in the dark. Or, just keep them out of your room.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 02:57 (GMT -5)

thanks for all the useful, the so-so useful, and completely not useful advice :-D

they're 2 to 2.5 months old now, i think. and yeah, now they're allowed to roam the house and my room is pretty much the furthest you can get from the litter box. i guess that keeping the room door closed for a couple of weeks ought to do it.

the funny thing is the first time one of them peed on my bed was the same day that i left for the dorm. it's almost like he knew i was leaving and wanted to claim the bed for himself...
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5145 days, 20 hours, 7 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 at 14:20 (GMT -5)

Oh yeah you need to keep the litter-box clean as a whistle and fresh and inviting. If it looks like Edinburgh's worst toilet, they will go anywhere but there...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3121 days, 9 hours, 42 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

Yup, forgot about that too. Yesterday... Nothing wakes you up better then going to the toilet right out of bed and stepping (barefoot) into something wet. I could just hear my cats laughing they asses of ;P
Ofcourse, they try their best to look like innocent little angels... Cats can be a pain.

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3902 days, 12 hours, 29 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 at 03:49 (GMT -5)

I've never had a cat, but I've heard that if you start serving their food in the places they pee, they'll stop
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 at 03:50 (GMT -5)

slept at home last night. my mattress still has cat pee smell if i sleep turned to one side... so i had to sleep turned to the other side, bah.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 22 hours, 57 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 at 15:33 (GMT -5)

Use an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the cat pee. It gets rid of the smell; and the cat can't smell the pee and think it's OK to pee there again.

Turn your mattress over so the cat pee is on the bottom.

If worst comes to worst, confine your kittens to a room with food in one corner and litter box in the other. They should get to the litter box in time. Kittens have small bladders.

Yes, keep that box clean... not only does it smell better, but the cat is more likely to use it.

When they are old enough, get your kittens fixed. Territorial spraying (as well as other problems) can be alleviated by getting a cat neutered. And you really don't want them making kittens, anyway--there are enough cats in the world as it is. Trust me; I volunteer at a cat shelter and all those unwanted cats need owners, while people stil let their cats breed... it's really stupid.

Can your kittens get into the litter box properly? You could use an old baking pan for a while; or put a makeshift ramp leading up to the box. Their little legs may not be quite up to jumping in, or else they don't want to make the effort and use the floor instead.

Anyway, expect accidents this early on, just like you would from a puppy. They've got small bladders, they're still getting used to the house and the box, and they were just separated from their mom... naturally they are pretty confused at this point.

Remember: Kittens grow up into cats, and cats are not nearly so crazy as their young...
Die Gedanken sind Frei
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 17:57 (GMT -5)

This has got to be one of the most interesting threads I've ever seen. Oh, and Iridia and Ekaterin are completely right.Cats are evil lil devils though :D
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
jeremiah
Registered user

Last page view:

5711 days, 4 hours, 59 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 at 19:17 (GMT -5)

I have used a trick once where I dumped the cat poop in the littler box than the cat. Cats are really clean animals most the time. If you place the poop in the box the cat might get the idea this is where the poop goes. This only works in a case where the cat just is not making a connection on to what the littler box is for.
"THE TH TALENT SUCKS!!!!!!" - Gut

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: