Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Question about spell usage.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Kos
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

This is something that I'm having a hard time undertanding.

I read that if the number of available castings drop below zero you lose the ability to cast the spell. Sometimes I can only cast a spell once before it disapears from my spell list so how is it possible to increase spell rank as well as the avaialabe casting number? And does constantly depleting available spell casting to zero, each level, eventually make you unlearn the spell? Thanks for any info.

I play an elementalist btw.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 18:52 (GMT -5)

You increase spell ranks most of the time by reading spellbooks.

Elementalist is a special case, as they get automatic castings each levelup.

For normal characters, they need a spellbook to begin any casting. They need to successfully read the book once. This grants them the ability to cast a spell (from memory, using 'Z'). You get a certain number of casting from each reading, depentant on some factors. Learning must important. If you cast the spell enough times, you reach zero castings and the spell is gone from memory. Then you have to read the book again to learn it (while an elementalist gains a level, different thing)

However, while you have knowledge of the spell, you can 'r'ead the book again. Now you get a choice of 'l'earn or 'c'ast it. If you 'c'ast it from the book you wont lose any castings, hence you get unlimited spells as long as you carry the book. However this will cost 5* the power points of casting from memory (there are talents that can cut this cost) and 3*the time. And you efficiency will not go up while book-casting. However, it remains a good way for certain classes with low spell-proficiency (barbarian, mindcrafter, beastfighter) to be able to use some nice utility spells (invisibility, strength of atlas, teleportation).

You normally gain castings from reading the appropriate spell book, but you will gain casting in a random spell from potions or wands of wonder....
Kos
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 at 19:15 (GMT -5)

My problem was that I drank a potion of wonder and aquired magic missiles and had no way of keeping the spell from being lost. How would I deal with this kind of scenario when the book is not available?

And thanks for the info on book casting, that's another topic that I knew very little about. As you can guess, I mostly play melee characters.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 07:41 (GMT -5)

In your scenario:
If you never find a book, you get 1 or 2 free castings of the spell. Not very useful for magic missile. If you find the book it's all okay, but a smart elementalist would have no problem learning it from hte book anyway, hence not much need to keep the magic missile in memory.
Next bit might be a bit spoily...

Spoiler

However, mindcrafter can use this trick as they NEVER (i think) will be able to read the book, so they have to book-cast after some wonder. Mindcrafters were not meant to have spell-ability due to the powerful mindcraft, so this can make a really powererful character. You need a wand of wonder, and then as much recharge-ability as you can get your hands on. Then go hunt for the books to match (library should hold some I think)
This also goes for those all-stupid classes like barbarian and beastfighter, but mindcrafter will have nice PP and "concentration" due to being a "caster" class. And the book-casting talents are somewhat expensive if one doesn't need the PP talents you have to take to get them.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5031 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 10:43 (GMT -5)

another question about learning spells.

when it says you learn spells 10% (or was it 20%?) better, does that mean your chances of learning (or improving your knowledge of) that spell are increased by that percentage, or does it mean you get a higher number of castings when you read the book?
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user
Sick Burdened Stunned Confused

Last page view:

5971 days, 56 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

Guess its referred to the number of castings

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: