Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Peanutgod, and D.gemmell fans

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6128 days, 17 hours, 48 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 at 19:27 (GMT -5)

I just got shield of thunder (david gemmells last book)
I read it straight through in one sitting (as i always do with his books) its about Kalliades and Banokles, and i have to say that it didnt compare to lord of the silver bow.
I pray that somehow we can get the third book.
*<< Words go here >>*
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5449 days, 6 hours, 10 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 at 19:59 (GMT -5)

Are those any good? I'm looking for books, and have heard of them. If so, what are they about?
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5056 days, 9 hours, 53 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 02:24 (GMT -5)

I got it for my birthday the other week. It's superb! Although, I think I prefer Lord of the Silver Bow.

Also, I heard a rumour somewhere that David did have a lot of the third book written, so with any luck, it might be finished off and put into print. We can only hope!

Cat Lord - David Gemmell's books are absolutely amazing. The Troy saga deals with.....well.....Troy and that tiome period. They're good reads, but in no way are they Davids best work. I suggest you get hold of 'Legend' - as it absolutely awesome.

A list of his better books are:

Legend
Waylander
Waylander II
Ravenheart
Midnight Falcon
Legend of Deathwalker
Winter Warriors
Echoes of the Great Song
Knights of Dark Renown
Dark Moon (DACE DACE DACE!)
King Beyond The gate (DECCCCAADDOOO!)
First Chronicles of Druss the Legend
Hero in the Shadows

And a load other. I highly HIGHLY recommend him.

-------

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 20:16 (GMT -5)

Hey pnut god, its my birthday tomorrow, and catlordlord, read morningstar, legend, lion of macedon and dark prince, midnite falcon, quest for lost heroes, king beyond the gate, hero in the shadows, waylander, raven heart and knights of dark renown.
and srords of night and dday.
actually, just read them all :P
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 02:09 (GMT -5)

Sweet! Happy Birthday for tomorrow dude!

------

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 17:54 (GMT -5)

I got Ironfists daughter, and the next one. They any good?
-My brother
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 18:37 (GMT -5)

You mean 'Ironhands Daughter' and 'The Hawk Eternal'

Yeah, okish books. I do like the Hawk Eternal. Caswollan is pretty cool, as is Lennox.

Still, IMO, the best book that sums up how awesome DG was, is Legend. I can read it over and over and over again.

------

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 02:08 (GMT -5)

The rigante series are good, similar to the highlanders of Ironhands daughter and hawk eternal.
In order of reading they are:

sword in the storm
midnight falcon
raven heart
stormrider

In order of goodness
Midnight falcon (bane!!!!!!!!!!!)
raven heart (Grymach!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
sword in the storm (Ruathain!!!!!!!!)
stormrider. (Letttttttt dowwwwwwwwwwwwwn!!!!)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 02:18 (GMT -5)

Grymauch is the dude! Although I'd loved to have seen a book about Huntsekker. He was interesting.

------

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 at 00:36 (GMT -5)

oooooh, huntsekker rocked> i pictured him looking like Kevin Nash the wrestler.
Huge, but in proportion.
*<< Words go here >>*
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 16:38 (GMT -5)

Just started Ironhand's daughter. Read half of it in one day, very good. Great at portraying characters different from typical hero/villian.
-My brother
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 at 23:55 (GMT -5)

exactly! that is davids main strength
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 at 11:54 (GMT -5)

Thats one of the great things about a lot of Davids work. You can always sympathise with his villans, as well as be pissed off at his heros at various times.

For example, the Nadir (in various books) are usually the enemy, but you can't help but like them, especially people like Tenaka Khan.

I'm currently re-reading the Swords of Night and Day. The way he has created Harad, it makes you feel like he's sitting right next to you.

----

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 02:14 (GMT -5)

Yay harad!
And Insane Decado was awesome.

Ok quick matach up for you, who would win between these fights.

Insane Decado Vs KingBeyondGate Decado
Culain Le Feragh Vs Skillgannon
Dace Vs Viruk
Bison Vs Piercollo (fist fighters yay!)
Connavar Vs Bane
Grymach Vs Huntsekker
Kaelin Ring Vs Antikas Karios

*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 12:17 (GMT -5)

Hmmm,

Match 1 - King Beyond the Gate Decado

I've always rated Decado (the normal one) as the greatest swordsman Gemmell ever created. So it has to be him.

Match 2 - Culain le Faragh

Skilgannon is awesome, but Culain is THE Lord of the Lance, and is a total badass who has lived for thousands of years. I think he could take Skilly down, although it would be sad to see.

Match 3 - Dace

Although Viruk rocks the house down, Dace is arguably the greatest swordsmen ever, plus he likes to kill people, plus he's insane. I think that pretty much tips it in his favour.

Match 4 - I really love Bison. I think he's cool. Especially when he farts in front of the demon. But I think Piercollo would beat him in a first fight, because he is a lot younger, and probably even bigger.

Match 5 - Connovar.

Bane is good, no doubts about it, but I'd put Connovar on the same level as Rage, Voltan and Druss. He is THAT damn good. Even Bane openly admited to himself that he would never have beaten Voltan, so he would never beat Conn.

Match 6 - Grymauch.

Merely because he has a huge glaive, and he is a badass. Plus we never really find out much about Huntsekker unfortunately.

Match 7 - Antikas

Not a fan of Ring, and Antikas managed to take down a Krayakin, and also be known as one of the best swordsmen ever. Not really a contest. Ring would be dead before he knew what was happening.

Who's the better archer? Wulf, Kebra, Dakeryias, Askari or Bowman?

-----

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

Peanutgod, i agree with all of your points, and the best archer out of your selection would be Kebra, followed by Dakeryias, askari, bowman then wulf.
We never really got to see how good Bowman was with the bow, We now Kebra was awesome even when his eyes failed (I can shoot the testicles off a fly at 100 yards' 'oh, do flys have testicles?' 'Not when im around..')
Dakeryias (waylander) He wasnt an awesome archer, but was an awesome killer- in a contest kebra would win.

OK, semi finals:

KbtGate Decado Vs Culain
Grymach Vs Connavar
Antikas Vs Dace
Piercollo Vs No One, because i didnt plan this out right and i ran out of opponents, oh well, he can cook for the victors :p
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 at 09:05 (GMT -5)

Arghh, this is tough.

Match 1 - Decado......just.

I just can't vote against him. Culain is tough, he's experienced, but something just niggles at me for going against Decado. His speed and his skills are on another level. He doesn't care about death, and just continues attacking. And since he can fight and BEAT someone who can read his thoughts and knows all the attacks he is going to make, I vote for him.

Match 2 - Connovar.

Well, the man can take out a bear with a dagger, and was reputed to be worth ten thousand fighting men. Grymauch is hard, no doubts about it. And as we know, he has huge heart in which lies the magic of the land. But it lies in Conns as well. For Conn to win, he needs to get within range of Grymauchs huge glaive, so I don't think the battle would last that long. But since Conn is a fighting King, and has fought lots of battles, I think he would edge it.

Match 3 - Antikas, no....Dace.....no Antikas......no......Argh......Sod it, Dace.

This one really bugged me. Antikas is cool, but Dace is just a killing machine who does it for fun. Antikas killed a Krayakin, Dace killed a Daroth which is also a mind reader. PLus he's nuts. So lets go for Dace.

Match 4 - Piercollo vs Beltzer

They're both huge, both extremely strong. Piercollo doesn't like fighting, Beltzer loves smashing things with his axe. Piercollo is younger, whilst Beltzer is getting on in years. Hmmm......Belzter.....cos I really liked him, and he went down fighting by god.

I notice Druss wasn't in these fights. Is that because we're jsut declaring him God of all, since he is all out bloody awesome?

-----

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 at 00:04 (GMT -5)

Ha, I couldnt bear to have druss kill al my favorite characters! :P

I agree that Decado would win against Culain.

I say Grymach would win against connavar (conn didnt kill the bear, he just stabbed it), grym would win because he has a biiig heart, and the bigger the heart of a gemmell character, the more unbeatable he (or she) is.

Antikas Vs Dace.... hmmmm.
They both are very arrogant and very skilled, I think they'd kill each other, stabbing each other as they fell.

Piercollo Vs Beltzer.
I agree, beltzer would win (he did kill a hell load of nadir/nadren didnt he :)

Farmer match!
Bregan Vs Kiall (i would have had Gilad Vs Kiall, but Gilad would have owned)

*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

I'd go for Bregan. After he loses his sword, he becomes pretty good with an axe, and fighting alongside Druss, he would have picked up a few tips. Plus, Kiall is a numpty.

Gilgamesh vs Samildanach
Uther Pendragon vs Bodasen
Oleg Hammerhand vs Borcha
Sigarni vs Karis

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 at 19:13 (GMT -5)

ooooh fun.

Gilgamesh would win against Samildanach hands down, Gilgs the son of an aging immortal, undead and horrendously skilled, Samildanach is a skilled knight that was afraid of inclosed scary places

Uther Vs Bodasen: Uther, bodasen was skilled enough, but Uther was trained by Culain of the Feragh

Oleg Hammerhand (Awesome man, awesome) Vs Borcha
I go with Oleg here, Borcha was mainly a fistfighter, but evn here i think Oleg would have a chance - why else was he callled the Hammerhand? and he stood next to Culain (god of war, among others) on a narrow bridge and fought their enemies to a standstill (how many was it? 19+ men?)

Sigarni Vs Karis

hmmm, interesting.
In a hand to hand, blades to blades fight, then Sigarni would win, she seems more skilled in that respect. But in a pitched battle, with both of there armies, then id put my money on Karis, she held of an army of Daroth, mind readers and giant powerhouses.
(Karis was the Ice Queen/Whore of War, And Sigarni was the Battle Queen?)
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

Ok, how about these.

Anharat vs The Crystal Queen vs Deresh Karany

Tenaka Khan vs Manannan

Shannow vs Waylander

Rek vs Forin

Decado (KBTG) vs Kysumu

Also, would you rate Parmenion as a better General than either Karis/Tenaka/Ulric, Jasary etc?

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 11/6/2006 at 13:30 (GMT -5) by PeanutGod]
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 at 15:59 (GMT -5)

Cool.

Match One:
Anaharat, Ultimate Windborn, the original twin, the demon lord> Deresh Karany was just a human (who got devoured by Anaharat) and i think that the Crystal queens powers would be useless against a Windborn.

Match Two:
Tenaka Kahan would win against Mannannan, Hes the blade dancer, the Kahn of Shadows.
I got it wrong before, Samildanach would have won against Gilgamesh, i was thinking of mannannan there.

Match Three:
This is a hard one, ive always thought they had some similarities, both haunted by some on theyve killed (King Niall, and the Nameless child who was in the wrong place)
I really couldnt say who would win this, they both seem unbeatable, they never lose, no matter what the odds.

Match Four:
Rek Vs forin, the answer would of course be Regnak, He had mad skills - comparable to members of the thirty, Forin was a tough b@stard, but lacking in the skills needed to take on a truely great swordsman.

Match Five:
I would indeed rate Parmenion as a better general than Karis/tenaka.ulric and Jasarsy.
I think the closest match to him would be Jasasry.

Heres some gemmell info for you, He owned Snaga! a full size replica, as well as other swords and daggers and so on, but from his own words '...am very sad that i still dont own a double crossbow'

And Gemmel was approached many times over the years to have Legand made into a movie, but always refused because the Movie People would have owned the rights to Druss, and gemmell didnt wand a series of crappy ass sequels destrying his most loved character.

*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, November 17, 2006 at 14:28 (GMT -5)

Thing is though, who would you cast to play Druss. He needs to be someone with a bloody good voice, and a presence and size. The only person I can think of is Brian Blessed, but he's a bit too old. It's certainly not a role the average pretty boy could play

-----

Kaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 at 04:19 (GMT -5)

Maybe the guy that played Hellboy?
He played it pretty staunch, and Druss is pretty staunch (heh, thats like saying the sun is pretty hot :p)
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4701 days, 7 hours, 31 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 at 16:27 (GMT -5)

Curses on all of you. Do you know how many books he has written? I was hoping for some peace and quiet, but now I have ~20 books that I must read.

I read Sword in the storm, then Midnight Falcon. Now I have to buy Ravenheart. Do you know how much you are going to cost me?

From now on, you are only allowed to bring up authors if

a) they have a limited repetoire (Such as George R.R. Martin) so that I can finish them all quickly and not be committed for months and months

or

b) their books are bad (such as Terry Goodkind) so I can throw them out in disgust and not be committed for months and months.
Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

But... he.. he is.. awesome!
and after ravenheart (a very good one) you have stormrider- then youve finished the Rigante series.
Then read Morningstar.
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 12:20 (GMT -5)

You really like Morningstar don't you dude?

------

Chaoss
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

I do. i really do. :P

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: