Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Newcomer

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user
Sick Burdened Stunned Confused

Last page view:

5970 days, 22 hours, 6 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 11:32 (GMT -5)

Hey there, this is to say hello to everyone here..im a newcomer in this forum though ive been playing adom for nearly a year now..got completely addicted to that and now its great to find other adom maniacs! I never (yet) used any guide or spoiler, so i think its time to make some questions at least..i usually get my chars(fighter type mostly..orcish barbarians to be honest!) up to lvl16 or 17. After that i found that the difficulty of the game increases drastically. I guess its because, at a given point, youve got to face more experienced monsters..but hell its so frustrating to see your lvl16 orcish barbarian killed by a pack of wild dogs!! Also, it takes you a lot to get your char to higher levels, i usually start in the village dungeon, solve the 'minor' quests and then head to the infinite dungeon using it like a sort of gym, get my char properly experienced and reach the western area, with the chaos cavern and all the rest, to get a proper warrior's death. Im considering staying in th infinite duongeon until i reach lvl20 or so, but man it takes too much..id like to know some of your 'game plan' to compare it with mine, see how far i can get and all the rest..well, thanx to you all!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 23 hours and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 11:58 (GMT -5)

before lv 17 you should do the pyramid. that is sort of good plan:)

in general fighter types are harder then spellcasters. unless you are crowned with vanquisher.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 12:01 (GMT -5)

thanks a lot! this is the faster answer i ever get in a forum! like ten min. or so...
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5058 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 12:07 (GMT -5)

Welcome!

Well, you have all the Dwarf quests to do, as well as the Banshee, the Water Temple, the RotHK, Darkforge (if you have enough HP and a decent melee weapon), you can play around in the arena for a bit longer, go visit the Water Dragon if you can breathe water, clear out the Bug Temple if you have a decent missile weapon skill or some good wands, clear out all the graveyards, dig them up and kill the undead - too name but a few things. A decent fighter with some good armour and a nice weapon should be able to get through some of these at least. It should help you get some experience at least. And let us not forget.....the dreaded ToEF, if you have a RoI you could always start killing creatures on the lower levels to get some XP.

Hope that helps.

If not, nothing wrong with doing some ID diving. Around level 25-30, kill some stuff and then resurface, as good a way as any.

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 10 hours, 43 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 17:49 (GMT -5)

Ok, a few things. Yeah, all of us have the time where we always get killed at around 16 (that happened to me for a year or so, just ended w/ my first win :-) ). Some things to make alot easier.
1. Get crowned. Vanquisher will make ANY game.
2. DONT DO THE BUG CAVE!!! If you melee anything, you will die.
3. Refer to two.
4. Don't stay in ID too long, all it takes is one moloch/ogre emperor and your gone.
5. Pyrmaid REALLY helps. Neck and chest help alot, I think it's 7 pv right there?
6.Playing around in arena is BAD!!!! I repeat, BAD!! It rocks until you get a ki-rin with a promising 16 drakling healer... He survied 3 or so death rays (pyramid gifts) and teleported out.
7. Get an AoLS. Then do CoC graveyard.
8. Water temple should follow, that nets some levels, then it's just plain pain in TOEF.
9. Guidebook. 'Nuff said.
That's about it, there should be plenty of other hints around forum (search button). Or, ask. Good luck!
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/25/2006 at 17:50 (GMT -5) by Cat Lord Lord]
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5058 days, 14 hours, 27 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 18:42 (GMT -5)

IMO, Points 2 and 6 are debateable. I do them 99% of the time with melee characters around levels 15-20, and never seem to have much of a problem with them. Bugs fall to wands and a decent missile weapon, plus moving away and tackling them a few at a time, and the arena - if something hard comes along, teleport out.

As for the ID. All it needs is some common sense. If you see something you know you can't cope with, them run away. If you're dumb enough to tackle a moloch or something when you know you're not strong enough and you die, well.......its your own fault!

------

Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5983 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 10:58 (GMT -5)

Don't give up. I too was unable to go pass level 16-17 and it stayed that way for a loooooong time. Then, something just clicked in my brain and I can now go to level 30... and still counting! It's a very hard game, with a lot to think of, and that makes it a highly enjoyable game :-)
All your base are belong to us.
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 11:40 (GMT -5)

thanx a lot guys..though i still have some trouble with 'technical' adom terms(AoLS, graveyard, bug cave, crowning..crowning??), i really appreciate your advices..its gonna help me a lot!
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 23 hours and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 12:00 (GMT -5)

i'd recommend reading http://www.andywlms.com/adom/
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Cristus
Registered user
The smallest giant alive

Last page view:

5983 days, 14 hours, 11 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

When on the appropriate altar, try 'O'ffering things to your god. If you become close enough to him, he may, under certain conditions, crown you. Took me a long time to give a try at that one. Now, I manage to get crown at every game.
All your base are belong to us.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 17 hours, 43 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 at 17:42 (GMT -5)

Hey, welcome to the forums. It's good that you're not spsoiled I'd say - makes the game more fun. Andy's Guidebook is a great help, but I'd recommend not reading too much of it early on. Allow yourself the fun of exploring the game and all its interesting locations and gameplay elements.

My biggest piece of advise would be to concentrate heavily on missile weapons - never over rely on melee. Also, learn about farming herbs. They can be used to very nicely increase your stats. Do what quests you can, but don't go to places too hard for you. Especially beware of the Dwarven Halls (parallel to the animated forest). Beware the forest too of course - invisibility and two shields helps. Never be afraid to run away - in fact it's best if you always have teleportation handy. Be good to gods - they can reward you nicely. And always make sure you have good equipment - especially armour, weapon + shield (spears are often the best weapon for defense purposes) and seven league boots.

There's a whole load of other advice to give, but it depends on what you're having trtouble with. Good luck with all the hints you're getting here and let us know how you progress. Also, don't be afraid to try out other characters. Drakeling healers born in the month of the candle can be fun. Priests and wizards can be amazingly powerful and flexible if you keep them alive - especially grey elven priests. High elven archers are often considered the ultimate race/class combination. There's a lot more to the game than you've seen so far - e sure to enjoy it all.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: