Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / cool weapons

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8039 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

best weapon i've found is a mithril scimitar of devastation. 5d8+9 one handed....anyone found any better?

btw, who's got the site that explains suffixes and prefixes in 1.0?

[Edited at 05:05, Monday, December 24, 2001 by adomer2]
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7778 days, 5 hours, 20 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 06:55 (GMT -5)

all weapons of devastation seem to have nearly the same stats.

and try this for the suffixes and prefixes:
Weapons complete list
Tha Messiah]

[Edited at 06:59, Monday, December 24, 2001 by Tha Messiah]
THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7924 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 11:35 (GMT -5)

Best I ever got was a murderous eternium two-handed sword. Don't remember the exact stats, but according to Andy's site it was probably (+18, 6d5+18) [-1, +0]. Later I was crowned and Ka'Omsh gave me the morning star Grod. Its stats were slightly lower than the sword, but I prefered it because it gave me fire immunity and was a giant/demon slayer.

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

6d5 is ok, but 5d8 and still being able to wield another kicks ass. i had thatand purifier, killer combo.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 15:05 (GMT -5)

It wasn't 6d5, it was 6d5+18. Big difference. Still, you're right, your character must have been incredible. Did you win with that one?

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 20 hours, 8 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2001 at 22:34 (GMT -5)

Twice i've gotten an eternium two handed sword of penetration.

Winged arrows of slaying are quite nice too.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 03:14 (GMT -5)

6d5 + 18 is only 48 max.... 5d8 +9 is 49, see the point? plus you can have a second weapon. two handed weapons are allright, but they just don't match up to 2 one handed weapons.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

That entirely depends on the race/class n playing style.

Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 18:06 (GMT -5)

Interesting point: 6d5 + 18 = 24 min dam while 5d8 + 9 = 14 min dam.

I prefer higher min dam over higher max dam and, in the right situation, would choose the twohanded sword. MHO of course. :)

Locke Cole
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 20:39 (GMT -5)

I agree with Locke. I'd rather be consistant than sometimes causing lots of damage and other times only a little. Better safe than sorry.

adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

this is just silly, you people are just wanting to find points to argue over. besides, for the 3rd time, you can wield a SECOND WEAPON, DUH! my minimum hit is STILL more than that two handed sword. why are you being thick headed? and what kind of person would possibly roll a 1 on 6 consecutive dice enough for it to even remotely effect your game? you'd have to be permanantly doomed.

messiah, no kidding....thanks for stating the obvious though. why would i have mentioned it if i didn't have 2 weapon combat?

amanda, the difference between your minimum and maximum damage is 25 points, that's hardly consistent with a weapon that maxs at 48. the minimum damage between your weapon and (one) of mine is only 10 points. it's blatantly obvious that 2 weapons are better.

[Edited at 22:07, Tuesday, December 25, 2001 by adomer2]
Gyr
Registered user

Last page view:

8154 days, 4 hours, 25 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 25, 2001 at 22:47 (GMT -5)

Well, actually...
A better indicator, I think, is AVERAGE damge.

Using medians:
Two-handed sword = 6d5 + 18 = 6(3) + 18
= 36 damage
Scimitar = 5d8 + 9 = 5(4.5) + 9
= 31.5 damage

Not a very big difference in exchange for that other hand. Ofcourse, the +18 to-hit is not inconsiderable, nor is the +30 damage from high weapon skills, nor is the fact that fighting with two weapons take approximately half again as long.

Minima? Maxima?
The occasionl bonused orcish knife (1d3+3) is consistantly better than a longsword (1d8).
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 02:47 (GMT -5)

grand mastery is near impossible to get with one weapon, with two at leasst you've got a fightin chance
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 08:31 (GMT -5)

I merely pointed out one interesting fact relevent to this discussion.

Here's another fact: Two weapons need more enery plus one addition skill to make it worthwhile to use two weapons. Note: That was merely another fact.

Finally, some people might be offended when being called thick headed just for expressing their opinions.

Locke Cole
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

Another err obvious fact.Your to-hit is badly affected.Especially if the weapons are heavy.

I stick to what I said before:
It entirely depends on the race/class n playing style.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 16:54 (GMT -5)

IMHO adomer2, you're the one looking for arguements. you'll say something, i'll say my opinion, and you'll end up making an arguement out of it.
personally i'd rather go witht he scimitar, but only because then i'd put that crystal tower shield in my other hand. i play agressivly with a defensive deck. and personally i don't like 2 handed wepons (except quarterstaves, i've been trying to get a grand mastery w/ qtrstaves for a long time. or even a mastery. it's damn hard.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 19:04 (GMT -5)

Adomer, grand mastery is not impossible, trust me. My character with the two-handed sword has it. And there's no reason to call me thick-headed, I was just giving my interpretation. When I play a troll (who starts out at lvl 4 in the two-handed weapon category) and I get a really good two-handed weapon, I use it. But on another character (a ranger, for example), I would agree with you about weilding two one-handed weapons. And on another character (a wizard) who relies entirely on magic, I go to coward mode and equip two shields and this whole argument about weapons has no meaning. It all depends on the style of gameplay.

Hey, I just got back from the Harry Potter movie. Harry beat a club-wielding troll by shoving a wand up its nose. If that doesn't prove that any weapon can be good if you know how to use it, I don't know what does! ;-) Although I must say, as a troll in the roleplaying thread, me was very disappointed at the stereotyping of trolls in that movie. If me ever meet J. K. Rawling, me will tell her that not all trolls are stupid and violent (and if she disagrees, me will bash her head in).

Akron
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 26, 2001 at 19:06 (GMT -5)

One handed spears are nice because you get +12 to DV when you have polearms skill at level 10. I also prefer one handed weapons because high DV is very important in the most cases. I've found one orcish spear of devastation(don't remember the exact stats though), just had a trollish barbarian (game crashed in ToEF to some strange bug) with orcish spear of mayhem (+6, 3d8+6) and spear of mayhem (+6, 3d8+5). But when you have trollish barbarian with two-handed eternium sword, I think that's massacre. It gets even better when you have the axe of the minotaur emperor. Don't remember exactly how much my another barbarian dealt damage when he was wielding the axe of the minotaur emperor, but I think it was dice roll+160 or 170 damage. One triple damage blow took out the dwarven artificier. Sometimes it doesn't matter how low your DV is.
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 at 03:14 (GMT -5)

AoME is awesome with BoW or RoMC or both. once i had moloch armor with 10 scrolls of protection added so it was +10 +50 and AoME with BoW. the speed and dex negatives didn't matter much cause i'd already been to the bug temple. was really cool.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 at 14:04 (GMT -5)

Yep I agree with Amanda n thats what I've sayin all along.Its entirely dependent on the race/class n playing style.

Amanda you think J.K Rowlings interpretation of trolls are bad what bout poor elves.
Most elves are depicted as short,ugly,long nosed little creatures.
While elves are tall,slender,beautiful and sometimes muscled too.
Ask Hagrid.He'll tell u the truth.

adomer2 u were really lucky wit the SoP.
They usually turn to dust when good eq is worn

adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 at 15:02 (GMT -5)

you have to take off all but what you want it to protect, and bless them. but they won't add more than a few points if the armor is at it's normal state, above zero that is. say like about 15 or 16 for eternium plate mail max. caps and boots are less, bracers too. since moloch armor starts out at -30 all of them work until you hit +8 or so.

if you're wearing several things that can be affected by the scroll it usually won't work. especially if you're wearing artifacts.

[Edited at 15:03, Thursday, December 27, 2001 by adomer2]
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2001 at 15:10 (GMT -5)

Messiah, it gets even worse. They didn't mention it in the movie, but in the books elves are used as slaves.

Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

Yep I read the book.Ugh!Dobby the house elf.A slave.Sick!Wearing a pillow case[+0,+0] instead of eleven chain mail[+0,+5].
Really!ugh!It sickens me.(Hmm I'm beginning to sound like a caveman with all those Ugh!'s)

Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 11 hours and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2001 at 23:57 (GMT -5)

Well the ORIGINAL elves (pre-Tolkien) had more in common with gremlins than the noble Tolkien-elves.

In fact before Tolkien came along and made such well defined races, Elf where just another name for short, often evil, supernatural beengs in fairy tales (Goblins, Gnomes, Elfs and Gremlins where pretty much just different names for the same type of creature).

The Tolkien elves are well known and well defined and so a lot of authors use them pretty much the same way, but IMHO it's refreshing when an author doesn't follow established stereotypes, but set out to create a new universe instead. That's what fantasy literature is all about after all.

I like Tolkien's elves, but that doesn't mean every fanrasy book should have them exactly like Tolkien does... I much prefeer it when an author create a new universe with a new set of rules (like Tolkien did) rather than trying to copy Tolkien. I much prefeer Pratchet's Trolls to the Tolkien ones for example, they are much better defined (how much do we hear about troll culture and history in Tolkien's books?), and far less stereotypical.

It's not good to get to hung up on how this or that race is supposed to be, or how magic is supposed to work and so on. Just accept that each author describe a different and unique universe, and as long as everything is consistant within an authors universe all is well.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
The Messiah
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2001 at 14:36 (GMT -5)

Argggh!I posted a huge reply and when I submmitted it it said that my nickname was registered.:( I got timed out.I'm not gonna type all that over again.
Recently I've been timing out to fast.Do somethin Jan.If I'm idle for 5 min I get timed out.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2001 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

And oh yea since this is all bout weapons I think among the non-artifact weapons the holy weapons in the bug temple are kool.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 19 hours, 21 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 29, 2001 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

ELVES RULE!!!

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

1 day, 11 hours and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 30, 2001 at 19:50 (GMT -5)

Tha Messiah: Hate when that happens, but the timeout value is 20 minutes, not 5...

I'll fix it so that the timeout is set to 40 minutes after you logg in (while keeping the default 20 minutes for lurkers to save server resourses). That should solve the problem (if you need more than 40 minutes to wite a post, use notepad and logg in when you are done :D).

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2001 at 15:08 (GMT -5)

Thanx Jan!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: