Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Learning spells

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5058 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 05:02 (GMT -5)

I've only really just noticed this recently.

How come is it, that after you've read one spellbook and it disappears, and then you read a different spellbook (but the same spell) straight after, it always tends to disappear on its first or second reading?

-----

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4155 days, 13 hours, 1 minute and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 05:40 (GMT -5)

imho, then you read same (by spell an status)spellbooks cycle in your inventory. so if you have a cuople in inventory each time you read another one.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5031 days, 10 hours, 41 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

yep, that seems to be the case. get a cursed, uncursed and blessed book of the same thing and read them, you'll see the cycle easily. and assuming that all spellbooks can be read the same number of times (which i have no real proof of right now), there'll be a cycle where they'll all disappear.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 45 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

Blessed has more "readings". Uncursed has normal. Cursed has less. That is in addition to blessed being easier and more castings. I dunno about the cycle, could be b/u/c status, blind luck, or you could have something there.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5058 days, 4 hours, 28 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 11:07 (GMT -5)

As far as I know, its got relatiely little to do with the spellbooks status. I've had it happen with blessed ones as well as cursed. It just seems very strange that you can only usually get one or two readings afterwards.

Of course, the way around it is just to wait a while, or read some different spellbooks in between. But still, it shouldn't really act like that.

-----

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 7 hours, 44 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 15:00 (GMT -5)

What happens is when you read a spellbook it gets taken out of your inventory (you can see this clearly if you're just slightly burdened before reading - your burdened status will disappear whilst you read) and when it gets put back it goes behind your other books. This means that if you have 3 ofthe same book and you try reading the first of those books 6 times in a row you'll actually read each one twice. Thus when you get the last reading on one, the others are near due their last reading too. If you drop your spellbooks and pick them up and read them one at a time this won't happen.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: