Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Christmas contest nearing...

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Portrait
Thoth
Registered user
The Scribe

Last page view:

6193 days, 15 hours, 39 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 17:09 (GMT -5)

But Santa Claus is not a Gnome...

And as far as insisting it be the first character the player tries, there is no way to confirm that it is their first character anyway. A clean install is all you need.

Of course, people could cheat on the December 24th thing, by changing their game clock, but the simpler the better.

I still like my idea. :P
--<>||<>--
Noob
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 17:41 (GMT -5)

I highly doubt that I'll get higher than lvl 15, tops, cuz I've never even beaten the game.....
if I win with a gnomish merchant, that would knock my "stockings off"....(lame Christmas joke)
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 3 hours and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

speaking of gremlin scumming if you get wishing engine all other levels are plain magic map+teleport so it might be even faster.

as for entering with scepter and killing with trident, i feel like i wanna try it.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5026 days, 40 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 at 02:12 (GMT -5)

thoth, i guess it goes by the honor system, just like hof. aside from having someone looking over your shoulder to make sure you dont break the rules of this contest, there is no way to prevent anyone from cheating.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 3 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 at 06:23 (GMT -5)

This will not be a problem, with this honorable crowd. All the other Random games had a lot of early deaths. With a gnome merchant dying at level 1 should happen to at least some of us, no shame there. Whats the use in "winning" when YOU know deep inside that you cheated? You only gain virtual respect...

Well if one gets a wish-engine, that is a powerful tactic and worthy of a good rank. (Fast victory). I don't frown on Scumming (spending time to gather exp and item while not advancing the game)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 21 hours, 43 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

The idea is it's a challenge to try with only one character, and if you cheat on that then it just makes you a very pathetic person. In all the past contests here it has seemed evident that people haven't cheated - because we all die so bloody quickly. As for the clock thing, yeah I think some of us will have to do that to get the date effect (I probably won't have access to ADOM on the day). And we're not playing Santa, we're playing his little gnomish helper sent to the Drakalor Chain to deliver a special gift to Andor Drakon.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
netlava
Registered user

Last page view:

6030 days, 6 hours, 25 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 at 13:57 (GMT -5)

I always thought elves were more suitable for the Christmas theme. Don't elves help Santa?
Snwo aval ten
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5052 days, 18 hours, 26 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 at 14:23 (GMT -5)

We've already been through that. ADOM ELVES DON'T FIT THE SANTA ELF ROLE!

I wonder if Santa eve plays Adom? He does exist.....I think.

---

Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

5805 days, 3 hours, 9 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 02:37 (GMT -5)

Hi everyone!
I'm a new guy here (this is my first post), and I'm also newbie in ADOM (highest level legal character was somewhere around lvl 15) It seems that this contest is open for everyone, I mean for novices too. It sounds interesting, and I think I could participate too. Of course I won't probably get as far as you do, but in Christmas, anything can happen ...
Se parhaiten nauraa joka toiselle kuoppaa kaivaa.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5026 days, 40 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 03:27 (GMT -5)

welcome :)

you'd be surprised at how many of us will die before level 6. i'm expecting to die at level 5, and that's only because gnomes level up so fast that i wont be able to die before that :P
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 04:27 (GMT -5)

I'm planning to descend through UD immediately, so it's very possible I die in SMC at level 1, which would be sooner than probably most of you others. But plans are made so they can be changed.

But, of course, my main motive is not winning, but having fun, and perhaps learning a trick or two from you old hands.
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5052 days, 18 hours, 26 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 11:17 (GMT -5)

My plan of action will be to sit in the ID for a few levels, maybe find Kranach if I get a wand merchant, and then just take things nice and eazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy.

-----

Ladies and gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5445 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

Welcome to the forums.Going through UD is not at all a bad idea. Plus, if you get a bit of practice you might be able to get farther then most. I've played a merchant, maybe twice. I'll be surprised if I get to level 2. A note is, they get herbalism but no healing. That means, they will need to eventually do Elder quest, but could benefit a lot from herbs (which pop up in UD.)
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Portrait
exterminator
Registered user
Guerilla from the North

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 05:51 (GMT -5)

Cat Lord Lord, I assume you meant me. Yeah, I'll go to UD for shops and herbs, which seem more likely to be generated there than in other dungeons, but if the stairway to UD is generated too far away from the entrance of SMC, then I'll probably die in SMC at level 2 or 3. I just hope the stairways are close to each other. If they are very close, I might even come back through UD to do the Elder quest instead of going around the river in wilderness.

Or then I will choose the plan B and do like PeanutGod, go to ID and wander at ID1 and ID2 until experience level 5-7.

By the way, it seems to me that throwing talents do not affect merchants' gold piece throwing. I once tried to make my merchant to be able to kill most early-game monsters easily with gold pieces and choosed all available throwing talents. The difference to character without those talents were so minor that they could have been easily caused by strenght and dexterity differences. Does anyone know for sure?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 3 hours and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 06:25 (GMT -5)

strong thrower surely doesn;t work.

sorry, i don't remember any others 'throwing' talents.

missile talents - good shot for example seems to work.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6321 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 09:19 (GMT -5)

I guess I'm the only one who has managed to win with a gnomish merchant? o_O
I need to dig the flg when I get home.

Anyways, I like the idea, and I like gnomish merchants because they're so damn impossible. Their early game sucks big time and it won't get much easier towards the end unless you're damn lucky. One greater giant vault with skullcrusher/executor and/or bracers of war makes every character shine, though.
Anyways, the early game is the toughest one because of their starting stats and equipment. I rarely dive into ID with a lvl1 character, but it's worth of it in this case, especially if you go for treasure hunter. A good shield early is a must have, so don't even think of wielding a wicked mithril two-handed sword or similar if you happen to find a one from SMC.
Also, get your Detect Item Status up ASAP; you'll need to exchange your equipment to better all the time, so it's useful to be able to test stuff without having to wonder if the ring mail you're putting on is cursed or not. Helps alot with crude spears too.
Wand merchant with a wand of acid/lightning/fire/cold might want to take a risk and go zap hotzenplotz first and score a bandit/outlaw as their first kill while they're there.
And err, I really don't think diving to UD first is a good idea. The monsters there are tough enough to take a funny gnome out nine times out of ten. Especially since you do not have healing, and the herbs aren't quaranteed.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
thedrin
Registered user

Last page view:

6018 days, 1 hour, 3 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 14:13 (GMT -5)

Up until last week I hadn't played ADOM in a while and not regularly for a year and a half.

Gnome farmers were one of my specialties so I'm not too bothered about the race. The class is one I'm not too experienced with but the ability to throw coins (and the large number of coins you start with) mean I'll go for my usual start; SMC -> Kranach -> Yriggs -> Kenny -> Forbidding cave (via UD if downwards stairs is conveniently located).
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5006 days, 4 hours, 19 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 at 03:57 (GMT -5)

I will first get quests, then create monsters on SC, buy food to build up strenght, then go leveling up a lil bit and work on haggling-skill, and hope that Barnabas has some useful stuff for me. No plans for longer than that, it'll be hard to survive until that :D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/22/2006 at 03:58 (GMT -5) by Blacklion]
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5445 days, 14 hours, 43 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

I think best starting talents are:
Alert (treasure hunter is good, you only need this one to start)
Good shot (+1 to hit and damage with coins helps)
Keen shot (+2 for a total of 3, helps alot)
If you get a fourth talent, I would go hardy. Most of my merchants don't start out with enough dexterity to get eagle eye (+3). With those and berserk I typically hit most things, and do 1d2+10, as opposed to something like 1d2+6.
Edit: Something wierd. A merchants coin toss is 1200 energy. Is there some way to lower that? Otherwise, they really need a high speed.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/22/2006 at 08:49 (GMT -5) by Cat Lord Lord]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 18 hours and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 at 09:14 (GMT -5)

Well, get long stride to be able to flee a bit better when they get close.
(Or am I mixing energy with movement speed again? I know that long stride affects walking energy but I never was good at distinguishing the two.)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 3 hours, 37 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

Long stride makes movement cost 950 (instead of 1000). This also means that you can normally outrun slightly faster monsters Useful for escaping overland map random encounters. For walking purposes, it will act as if your starting speed was 105 and not 100. (close enough).

It will also be fine for a missile-oriented char, faster retreat.

Its also good because increasing your speed decreases your exp gained. However it only affects walking while higher speed helps with walking plus attacking/casting spells/throwing stuff.

I do not know how it stacks with 7lbs or monk/beastfigher movement class power.
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 18 hours and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

Ok, I just said it because that means monsters would get you sooner if you'd throw coins, but with this, you could basically hit'n'run.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the