Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / New Challenge

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
*Chaos Muffin*
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

6131 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 at 23:12 (GMT -5)

The Puppy Challenge.
Go to terinyo and get the Tiny Girls Quest, go straight to Pcaves and save the dog, now stay with the dog in the pc's untill your lvl 50 and the puppy is an uber-dog.
Pretty Simple
*<< Words go here >>*
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5032 days, 2 hours, 8 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 10:04 (GMT -5)

wouldnt that be really hard at first then easier and easier as the dog got stronger?
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Kkaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 17:27 (GMT -5)

yeah, but the monsters get tougher as well. I remember once going back once 100 or so game days had passed and fighting a moloch and a titan.
and the puppys pretty weak.
I tried this yesterday and puppy died to a gnoll.
A healer might do well - being able to heal the puppy and all would help.
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 16 hours, 11 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 17:35 (GMT -5)

Or, a bard and get alot of good friends to help protect you. Would help a ton if you got an altar on big room and herbs somewhere.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Noob
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

This seems to be an easier challenge then most though. I'm gonna try to beat it tonight....probably won't win
Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

5467 days, 10 hours, 16 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 19:43 (GMT -5)

If a name is needed for this challenge, I'd like to humbly suggest 'Marrowbone Man'.
Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 20:49 (GMT -5)

And it needs another rule: You can't leave the pup on one level while you level up on another.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Kkaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 at 23:36 (GMT -5)

of course, the puppy must always be with you, you can buff it up however you may of course
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4245 days, 23 hours, 11 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 at 19:53 (GMT -5)

People have tried levelling up the puppy before and it stays very weak. I guess you'd want to give it loads of blessed potions of ultra healing and stat potions to buff it up a lot. No going to the water cave!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Cat Lord Lord
Registered user
Not really

Last page view:

5451 days, 16 hours, 11 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

Simply wondering, how would going to water cave help? You would need to get a good supply of food and preferably a good weapon or some good spells+friends.
Homework is not meant for home! It's a sick verbal coincidence!
-My brother
Kkaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 at 05:34 (GMT -5)

Cant go to water cave, have to stay in the puppy caves
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 at 10:11 (GMT -5)

There was nothing that said you had to stay in the puppy cave. But the reason you can' tgo to the water cave is that the puppy will drown, and most likely self-berserk itself to death.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Kkaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 at 21:05 (GMT -5)

"now stay with the dog in the pc's untill your lvl 50"
The pc's are the puppy caves.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 10:08 (GMT -5)

Oh, yeah, sorry, misread. Hmm, it's a bit crap if you have to stay there - would take ages to level up to 50. Having said that it makes it easy for the puppy to buff up - it wouldn't be too long before it's stronger than anything generated in the puppy caves. A priest with Cure Light Wounds would probably be best.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4156 days, 4 hours and 28 minutes ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 10:17 (GMT -5)

except for having limited monsters will lead to ubering most of them.

in general i believe gremlin bomb+wish engine solves all problems. if it was done in SMC...

ofcourse there is a need of scroll of danger or two before setting wish engine. but it's just a matter of pattience and copy-pasting.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 11:36 (GMT -5)

I'm loathe to see "gremlin bomb + wish engine" sudddenly become the cure to all challenges. The puppy challenge is obviously doable by mundane means, and I think it should be played that way. Anyway, gremlin bombing would have to be done before finding the puppy (otherwise the gremlins would kill the puppy), which wouldn't be possible with the time limit (shouldn't an extra caveat be that you have to find the puppy ASAP to prevent scumming for levels and items before finding it?)

The uber monster effect doesn't come into play early on since you'd get the puppy to do much the killing. As you gain levels and find items you'll become powerful enough to deal with the uber-effect. Obviously you'd have to be very careful with summoners in the cavern level.

Dungeon features could represent a major advantage - shops could produce nice items, and altars could allow for precrownings (baby dragons are sometimes found on the lower level so you could take advantage of them for gold). Some problems are keeping the puppy away from poison and sickness, and possibly even the risk of corruption traps generating WMoPCs.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 12:02 (GMT -5)

getting lv50 while killing danger level 6 or less creatures is quick enough to avoid uber monsters? i bet you rarely will get more than 200exp per kill. now, count amount of critters you need to level up.
cute dog is efficient killer?
you can't stand betwen gremlins and a dog? or lock him in safe room?
powerfull enough? with mithril items at best?

you sure we are playing same game?

bomb+engine was always a thing to consider. that is why certain challenges, longest ID dive for example, forbided wishing at all.

speaking frankly wishing engine and copypasting is something i'd prefer not to use, becouse it's perfect way to kill pleasure of game itself.

getting several millions of exp in steps of hundreds on other hand is not fun. and if i would ever do this, i will go bomb, engine, copypaste.
temporally my masochistic needs are satisfied with blind monk.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 at 18:43 (GMT -5)

Hmm, well, I was thinking there'd be enough variety of monsters that it's not until you're past level 20 or more than the uber effect will become a factor. Considering how weak the monsters are in general they wouldn't present much of a challenge to a level 20 char even with uber effect factored in. And I'd hope that the puppy would be powerful enough to take on almost everything before you get that far. With the puppy able to take care of most things you could stick to just taking on higher xp monsters whilst slowed, maybe using scrolls of danger (if you're lucky to find/pickpocket them) to better the yields on the last couple of levels.

Of course you're right, getting to level 50 would take absolutely ages, but I'd hope that you'd be able to keep ahead of the uber effect from raw levelling power. Perhaps I'm wrong.

As for gremlin-bomb, yeah it's possible to lock the puppy away, but I kinda saw that as avoiding the point of the challenge. Still, I didn't invent it, so I guess that's an open tactic. I guess it's even possible that eventually he'd be immune to gremlins, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Also, bleh, I've always thought that gremlin-bombing is a kind of cheap thing to do (apart from Barry Keanes' recent Eternium Man victory, which was simply ingenious, though obviously still not as good as a bomb-less victory, which would mostly be insane).

Anyway, my masochistic needs are supplied by Brimstone Man, which is generally more fun too since they all die so quickly. Live fast die young, eh?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 at 04:26 (GMT -5)

citting darren grey:
1.With the puppy able to take care of most things.
2.I guess it's even possible that eventually he'd be immune to gremlins, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

You don't feel like contradicting yourself, do you?

gremlins aren't ancient dragons overall.

speaking of Barry Keanes. there was a lot of nice thoughts in his job (suicide leveling was briliant). but pet+gremlin bomb was predicted outcome of this challenge long before.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 at 19:30 (GMT -5)

Well, with the gremlin thing you'd need to leave him on his own whilst you copy-paste commands. Normal letting him "take care of most things" would involve standing over him (like a loving father) and making sure he doesn't get into too much trouble, healing as necessary etc (and what I meant by that was you wouldn't have to kill much yourself therefore avoiding the uber-effect for a while).

Yeah, so it sounds gibberish, but it makes sense in my head :P
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 11, 2006 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

Well, you could easily do the gremlin thing if you got some way of digging, put the puppy in a one-room dead end, created a door, locked it, and stood in front of it, like so:

#
####
#d+@
####
   #

Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help