Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Im Cursed

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

CURSED BOY
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 00:46 (GMT -5)

Im at the mid stage of the game. And i am cheating because this is my first time through, reviving a dead character. And i have found i am cursed. How do i remove it or is it harmless?
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user
Sick Burdened Stunned Confused

Last page view:

5971 days, 13 hours, 21 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 05:42 (GMT -5)

Being cursed makes the RNG add a negative fudge factor during your gameplay, making your character quite unlucky..i think removing the curse is quite impossible, but you can try to compensate it with bless. Also try to achieve a decent standing with your deity and you may become "lucky" or have the "fate smiles upon you" intrinsic, which work exactly as the curse, but in the opposite direction of course
Portrait
Blacklion
Registered user
Jellies... BAH!

Last page view:

5012 days, 15 hours, 34 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 07:04 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
You get rid of cursing when you have the correct piety with your god (very close iirc)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/19/2006 at 07:06 (GMT -5) by Blacklion]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 14 hours, 52 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 07:29 (GMT -5)

Reviving your dead character via savegame backup is not allowed for a legitimate character, one you wish to post to the Hall of Fame (tm) for example.

It is often referred to as save-scumming as well.

I used it on one character to learn more about the game, but moved on to playing "pure" characters fast. While learning the game you could try it, your choice. But the real game starts when you stop reviving. Makes it all more exciting too...if you mess up you lose your hours invested... adds realism and danger to the game in my opinion.

I guess it is used in "research", but your results would be "spoily".

However, I regularly back up my characters savegames. This because crashes can happen, or things like computer failure, loss of power and so forth. It is not considered cheating when your character is lost to such circumstances.

I would also add, that your learning curve may be steeper if you just make new characters and start over. Sometimes if you save-scum you will end up in a semi-hopeless potition, and restarting will not do a lot of good except delay your eventual death a little. Might as well start fresh.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5032 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 07:36 (GMT -5)

i tend to disagree, molach. with save-scumming you tend to go a bit further and get a chance to explore places you wouldnt be able to without save scumming. but then, there *is* a certain stage in your learning curve where you should stop. i guess it really is a person's choice and as long as they are honest when submitting characters to the hof, they can do whatever they want in the game. he seems to know that what he's doing is not legit anyway ;)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3762 days, 17 hours, 42 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 07:40 (GMT -5)

Re. Save-scumming:
Feel free if you so desire. It's a good way of learning about the game, which is hard enough to beat even when you know all the mechanics.

However, it's cheating to claim that a save-scummed victory is a real victory; only games which have never been restored from the savefile (except in the case of a crash or power outage) can be claimed as victories.

Ilsekko isn't quite correct--there are ways to remove cursing.

Spoiler

--Eating a karmic being, IIRC if the corpse is blessed (anything with "karmic" in the name will do)
--As Blacklion says, getting to "very close" piety
--Reading a scroll of luck (bless it!)
--Drinking from pools has a chance of removing it (but this can also have very bad effects, such as dooming you, which you REALLY don't want--it's like "cursed" on steroids)

Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: