Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / YASD. Death by Cat Lord

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

F50
Registered user

Last page view:

5482 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 at 16:15 (GMT -5)

My Dwarvish Paladin with tons of spells, protector, Rolf's Companion, Bracers of War, Water and Fire orbs, who saved Khelly, Crowned a champion of Order, was slain by the merciless cat lord. This death was kind of stupid because I forgot to try to paralyse or at least stun him. I kept launching Ice ball untill i was running out of pp and he was afraid, healing when necessary by prayer and PoEH, PoUH. This was by far my best attempt at winning the game w/o savescumming.

I started out with my usual stragy, make first kill in the wilderness, kill kranach, SMC, puppy cave (the pup is usually dead by then). Since I have detect traps and healing I save the actual slaying of Keethrax for later but do the previous caves. Get a precrown if at all possible. Dive into the CoC where I contiue until dwarftown. Do dwarven quests. Do pyramid with wand of fireballs and preferably Rolf's Companion. Do graveyard. Get crowned if not already. Find Khelly. Do Keethrax quest if I do not have frost bolt. Do RotK caves. Do at least part of darkforge. Save Khelly. Do water temple. Do Keethrax and Hotzenlpots quests. Do rest of darkforge. do fire temple. Start the descent.

Anything I am doing wrong? tips? Some ideas other than paralisys would be nice.
"If the bread weights that much in the draklor chain, then it's no wonder so many die of starvation.
AND - what kind of IRON RATION weights as much as an iron shield?! A dinner for four, oven included? ;)"

-Maelstrom

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/3/2007 at 16:16 (GMT -5) by F50]
netlava
Registered user

Last page view:

6036 days, 9 hours, 39 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 at 19:04 (GMT -5)

Keethrax can come earlier I think...
Snwo aval ten
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5032 days, 3 hours, 53 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 at 20:11 (GMT -5)

webs might work to slow him down if you've got ammo. if you're relying on ball spells then a few webs between you and him wont help much. i use this tactic against ACW once. web down a corridor, run to the end of the corridor then shoot arrows at berserk way beyond my line of sight and hearing angry roars in the distance (picture a female hurthling berserk barbarian frothing at the mouth screaming and shooting arrows down a dark corridor full of spider webs :P)
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4156 days, 6 hours, 13 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 at 21:08 (GMT -5)

iirc, web works fine with iceball.

not killing cats works even better:)
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5032 days, 3 hours, 53 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 at 03:59 (GMT -5)

yeah, except that if your iceball range is only 1 or 2, you're still fairly close to him. webs work much better if he's stuck in them with another 10 webs between you and him, and you on the other side, next to the stairs, shooting slaying arrows like mad.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 6 hours, 51 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

Spoiler
I think you mean "since I already have healing and HERBALISM I save the actual slaying of Keethrax for later"

I agree with this, gardening is useless and if you already got frost bolt well then you really don't need it.

Remember that you can even enter DD:7 and GENERATE Keethrax without generating the Artifact Torc (it's generated on his death). If you do this then there are no negatives to waiting to kill him, and several more positive effects:
Easier to kill him due to higher level and more spells. (Less stat-drain, less RIP-risk)
Easier to avoid the cats which usually get generated on the level due to more spells (scare monster, slow monster, teleport (use on the cat), calm monster, stun ray, web).
Probably you'll have access to firebolt or fireball-spell, so you can easily cook the druid corpse and take it to the village druid for a certain potion. Also you should have holy water so you can bless it if it starts to rot.

If you have food preservation:
Higher chance (due to higher FP skill) to generate a giant slug corpse (Acid immunity)
Higher chance to be able to take the (cooked) druid corpse home.

Edit: Just noticed you played a Paladin, which doesn't get herbalism. You should get this skill if you can, and not the book/wand. Herbalism gives you direct access to blessed herbs without spending holy water (stomofillia and spenseweed are must better blessed), gives you status of herb bushes so you can avoid over-harvesting, saves you using uncursing scrolls on e.g moss of mareillon, gives you faster harvesting due to bushes not fading so fast, and makes unwanted herbs sell for more money. If I found a patch of herbs early I would do Keethrax quest pretty fast to get maxiumum benefit.

EDIT: Updated reppy & Added spoiler shadow since I just noticed we are in ADOM not spoiler forum.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/4/2007 at 06:24 (GMT -5) by Molach]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: