Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / starting

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Rougn
Registered user

Last page view:

8152 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

i am just wondering what is the best way to start game with wizard character.I always first go to SMC,kill a monster there(because of Courage),leave and then go to Bug Temple where I kill about 10 of those greater claw bugs and then leave...is there any "better" way to start?

Kuolema kuittaa univelat
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8041 days, 22 hours, 59 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 at 07:57 (GMT -5)

that way sounds good to me, if you're alive it's good. having a few levels is good if you want your diety to be good to you, hint hint. i usually like to kill kranach as first quest so i can buy keys.
Amanda Sedai
Registered user

Last page view:

7926 days, 17 hours, 56 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 at 13:09 (GMT -5)

You start by going to the bug temple? Never thought of doing that. I would do Tywat Pare's quest first (because my wizards are usually gray elves, which level up so fast that if I do anything else first I'll go beyond level 6), puppy cave and then SMC/UD (if less than four days have passed. Otherwise, I do SMC first), carpenter or druid quest, then go on to the mid-game stuff. (Hotzenplotz, barbarian, CoC, etc).

If you don't want the courage skill, you might want to kill the old barbarian. If you can get him in a position where you are separated by the lake, you can shoot spells at him and he won't be able to reach you. He's got a ton of HP, but eventually he'll die. There's virtually no alignment drop, so if you want to be lawful but aren't going for the platinum girdle you can kill him without much effect, and you get a ton of experience. (I once made him my first kill. The gray elf went from lvl 1 to lvl 8).

-Amanda Sedai, a save-scumming newbie. (Hey, at least I saved that little girl's dog. Gimme some credit... ;-))
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7780 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 at 14:41 (GMT -5)

You start in the bugcave?Nice idea for a spellcaster.
Ok here's the Near Perfect way to start the game.
Amanda theres a better way to kill the old barbarian.Read the spoiler.

Spoiler

Go to Lawinthowel.If yu dont want the courage skill kill a beggar or mugger.UsuallyBeggars are found ony here and muggers are found also in the assasins guild.If you want courage kill an outlaw or a bandit.Theyre easy to control.
Next do the SMC.If youre a spellcaster going to the ID isnt a bad idea to level up.If you want to do the UD or not is up to you.I you want to level up quickly go to the Barbarians glade.Otherwise do the Terinyo quests.There is an easy way to kill him.Make him follow you to the Gremlin gave in the south west.And oh yea if youre a real newbie it not the non-descript tunnel.
Set tactics to berserk and kill him.Dont waste any time.The poor blighter cant fight in the dark.This usually gains you 8 xp levels.Next do the CoC.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/2/2002 at 14:42 (GMT -5) by Tha Messiah]
Portrait
Akron
Registered user
Alcoholic

Last page view:

8077 days, 21 hours, 32 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 at 20:05 (GMT -5)

I always go to ID at the beginning with any kind of real spellcaster. It' very hard to get yourself killed there and there are lot of spellbooks generated there. If you are going for ultra-ending or want Courage, then you should do as it reads on the spoiler above(ok, I read it, I always read them).

"Cruel Akron, bloody bastard I now spit on you. You can turn my bones to black ash but I will move the moon. I will light your evil kingdom and your heart will burn in flames. Mutilated or dismembered, we'll soon rise to eat your brains! -Warrior of Ice"
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

killing beggars reduces the amount of altars in the game.
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7780 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 at 13:12 (GMT -5)

Is that true?
I always kill a mugger or outlaw anyway.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5769 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

If you're a weak character with hardly any offensive capacity, how do you go about controlling your first kill - don't you find that you can only manage to kill wimpy monsters like rats/kobolds/orcs to start with?

I ask because I hope to become an Avatar of Balance someday. Mostly I attempt this as a High Elven Druid, and start by zapping something in Lawenilothehl with Divine Wrath. Occasionally I let the computer pick for me - the other day it chose a Human Healer, and I didn't feel up to killing anything but the kind of common wimpy monster you find in the SMC.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5833 days, 11 hours, 24 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 at 18:40 (GMT -5)

Courage can be wished for, not descending down 21+ levels of the infinte dungeon cannot.

If you take the sheriff to the outlaw village he'll kill off the tough guys leaving the beggars. Kill them.

And i don't see any reason or evidence that killing beggars alters the altars.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 03, 2002 at 23:16 (GMT -5)

it does..maybe only for lawfuls, that's what i usually play but i know it affects it. as far as weak characters, just equip everything as a missle and throw it at some outlaw.
Portrait
Crimson King
Registered user

Last page view:

6324 days, 13 hours, 11 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 at 07:47 (GMT -5)

When I play with spellcasters, I do first the Kranach quest, then I kill Hotzenplotz (it's easy with bolt spells), then go to bug village, kill couple bugs and then I go to pyramid and then Elder/druid quest and then to SMC and to the mountain village and finally to CoC. I kill the old Barbarian sometimes, but not always. This is a very easy tactics to elementalists.

Joka vitsaa säästää, saa kaatumataudin
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 10 hours, 37 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 at 10:38 (GMT -5)

i do the elder quest every time first thing, then do puppy quest. i know i should do the druid instead (because of the artifact) but i don't b/c every time i do i end up either beting killed by kethrax or by his minions...

ivan.sourceforge.net
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7902 days, 5 hours, 59 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 at 17:33 (GMT -5)

Killing beggers reduce amount of altars in the game? Hmm, can you backup this statement with facts, or is it just your impressions?

Locke Cole
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5666 days, 10 hours, 37 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 08, 2002 at 18:28 (GMT -5)

i've never noticed it. but then again i usually end up killing a rat or a bat or a kobold or (if i'm lucky, which i'm usually not) an orc. i'm still not good enough to even shut the gate, let alone try for a UE.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Kurupt
Registered user
Random ADOM player #56326

Last page view:

7991 days, 17 hours, 12 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

I just kill whatever I find first(normally a goblin or rat).Like Duke said,I can't shut the gate yet alone attempt an UE.

Woman : If I was your wife,I'd poison your coffee.
Man : If you were my wife,I would drink it.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5769 days, 4 hours, 8 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 05:59 (GMT -5)

Yeah, if you're not trying for an ultra ending killing the first hostile monster you see is fine, because it'll probably be something common, making it easy to get Courage.

When trying for an ultra ending, here's what I do:

If I feel up to it, go to Lawenilothehl and kill something there, ideally a bandit or outlaw. Optionally, explore the Black Market and train in Pick Pockets, but these can wait until I've gained a few levels. Then leave, because those assassins can easily kill a level 1 character.

If I feel too weak to survive a visit to Lawenilothehl, lure someone out of Terinyo and make them my first kill. This feels really evil, and knocks down your alignment, but it seems to be the only option for weak characters hoping to achieve an ultra ending.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7765 days, 23 hours, 30 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 06:20 (GMT -5)

For UE very nice first kill is giant frog (in smalle cave it's sometimes) in dungeons they are sometimes and wildernes they are hords:) Hobgoblin are nice to... But it's now problem if you kill about 60 yours first monster. MaLaKaI is on 65-67 level ID;)

P.S. Never but never kill cat
I hate cats in ADOM, once cave tiger follow me (trolish thief) from 1 level Chaos Dungeon to Dwarven Town and kill him trollish priest:) He kill a lots of cats;) I coudn't escape from this cat and close him in some roome, high speed and seven leugue boots roolez....

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 2 times, last edit on 3/6/2002 at 08:03 (GMT -5) by BM]
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 08:12 (GMT -5)

Hmmmmm First kill: Once I have gremlin, It's stupid I now, but it have some good points. Easy to kill, It's practically only in Gremlin Caves. Than you make courage quest after killing Filk, or before.
Phial of Caladrieli is nice artefact to ratling. Yes, but why fight with gremlins? Enter to Gremlin Cave zap wand of item detection, teleport, pickup phial, teleport and quit:) In gremlin cave are only few gremlins and water traps:)
Gremlins are sometimes in smalle cave and others dungeons but they realy rare.

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Portrait
Guinea
Registered user
tWo-HeAdEd cHaOs WeAsEl

Last page view:

6972 days, 16 hours, 11 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 09:27 (GMT -5)

I always go to SMC first and try to reach HMV. Many heroes die like this, but lately I've reached HMV with a hurthling archer. Then the elder/druid quest (it depends if I have Healing or not), the Puppy Cave (puppy is certainly dead by now, but I go there just to train) and the CoC.
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 at 10:52 (GMT -5)

SMC usually I have penetrate low experience PC. Level 10 is max. Once I have fighting in SMC when I have 50 level PC... Ehmmmmm Fights my quickling queen and king liches. I was hidden on invisibility, tactics coward and just observe how my powerfull liches (level something about 100) killed monsters and gained experience.
Standard quickling king lich animated on 50 level Chaos dungeon easlly killed balors, chaos wizards, and all monsters who guarded Gate of Chaos.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: