Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Slaying Blue Dragons

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user
for monsters - Death incarnate

Last page view:

5600 days, 8 hours, 57 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007 at 22:54 (GMT -5)

I'm a little hesitant to write this, since it's one of my favorite tactics, and I'm reluctant to see it changed by the Creator...

To do this you Need:
A - immunity to shock (ring of immunity/blue dragon armor, etc.)
B - method of digging (spell/wand/pickaxe)
C - method of teleporting on demand (spell/scrolls/wands)
(not helm of tele/tele corruption/teleportitis)
D - method of dooming so you get lots of dragons (javelin of doom is easily removable)

Optional:
A - Death ray / wand of death+recharges
B - method of confusion (potion/ventriloquism/mindcraft)

On BDC 4, dig a dead-end hall along one of the long edges of the dungeon - if you can make it 35+ paces long, almost all of the dragons will fit into your nice straight killing hall.

Note: it is Essential that the mouth of the killing hall be angled into it, and not straight - it keeps the dragons from bunching up around the mouth. (see below)

############################################
###########################################
#
#######################################################

Get them all angry (eat an ancient blue dragon corpse where they can see)
*The purpose of this is so that even the nonhostile dragons (who might fight/distract the hostile dragons) also become hostile.*

Let them chase you down the hall, and teleport out and do it again with the next bunch of dragons
until the killing hall is full.

If the dragon at the end of the stack comes back at you, confuse it.

Teleport to the mouth of the hall and with fewer than 10 shots of Death ray you should have 35 piles of treasure. (even accounting for those dragons that resist it for a couple shots)

(This is also useful to fighters, but much less so, it only ensures thay they can't surround you, and you should already be smart enough to deal with that anyway.)

This technique is especially useful when dealing with the 500th and over ancient blue dragon, when they get extremely experienced, they are quite hard to kill in melee.

Happy Hunting!

PS I usually read 9 scrolls of peace on BDC 5, so I only get corrupted when I'm on BDC 4 to get more loot, and plant an herb cross and let it grow into multiple squares so I have something to do while I'm waiting for PP and HP to rebuild without wasting potions or herbs.
Try the TiLiCat! It's experience!

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2007 at 22:06 (GMT -5) by Tianjin]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 20 hours, 13 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 01:11 (GMT -5)

I see you know some nice tricks. How long have you been playing, and how experienced are you? Just asking.
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 01:57 (GMT -5)

I started playing Unix Moria in 1988, on my highschool's computer system, and then on my XT 8088. (I still am a little shocked that I paid what I did for such a useless doorstop as the XT's were)

I didn't find out about Adom until 1998.

The dragons run into the killing hall because the Creator has them set to hunt by sight and 'scent', not by tracking the PC's location.

Later versions of Moria/Angband changed that tracking feature for many of the more intelligent monsters. (I would think that an ancient dragon would be quite intelligent if they are 'ancient')

It seems like Srraxxarrakex does track the PC's location. I'm not sure about the Great blue wyrms.

If that feature ever gets changed in Adom, I probably won't kill more than a few hundred ancient blue dragons before I leave those halls, they get way too dangerous for melee after you've killed 1000.

Tiger, stuffed with deboned Lion, stuffed with deboned Wildcat, and slow roasted with a mix of herbs. (served raw for Trolls)
Treasure Hunter
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 05:38 (GMT -5)

>I usually read 9 scrolls of peace on BDC 5,

Hmm, i would have expected that to mean far less high quality item drops what in turn would make the whole BDC raid somewhat pointless? Scrolls of peace have effect on corruption rate but not on drops?
That so?
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 07:08 (GMT -5)

irrc, DL can be bupassed by monster specific drops. for example chaos knights droping eternium stuff in wilderness encounters.

imho, (ancient)blue dragons drop nice stuff despite place DL.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 07:13 (GMT -5)

The idea is to strike a nice balance between corruption and danger level. DL 29 is about the best balance I think. Beyond that not many more items are available, but corruption rockets upwards.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Treasure Hunter
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

OIC. Yup, that explains it.

Thx
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 5 hours, 12 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

may i ask what so specific about DL29?

just plain curiosioty.

you miss whip of the snake, eternium chain/plate mail and some crapy artifacts. all these are DL 30 or above

but you don't miss a lot extra from cuting DL to 20. mainly some nongranted artifacts if i haven't missed something serious.

well, iirc, playing with danger level is not exact sience, since both scrolls of peace and danger have randomness.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 23 hours, 56 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 08:38 (GMT -5)

DL20 has the same corruption level as 29. 10-19 is barely less corrupting than 20-29 (three quarters of the rate) with a few better rewards in the 20s (dragon scale mails, some eternium gear, a few okay artifacts). At DL30 the corruption level almost doubles (then doubles again at 40 and goes way way higher at 45), so the couple of extra items you might get aren't so worth it. You're right about randomness - you have to aim for mid-twenties I guess.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Tianjin
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 21:42 (GMT -5)

My purpose in reading the 9 scrolls of peace on BDC 5 is so that I can regenerate and pick herbs on that level without gaining corruption.

BDC 4 is where I go to kill the ancient blue dragons, it is still at its normal corruption level.

I am done with Adom for at least another 6 months - I got sloppy/over confident, and got my Mindcrafter killed.

I was wishing for emperor molochs, and in the salughter foolishly left a hulking armor on the floor - I knew better, I should have picked it up, because sure enough, a greater moloch equipped it, and got a speed of around 700, (I am guessing, because he moved as fast as a quickling, not zipping around like a quickling king) and took me out.

I knew better, because I'd seen it happen before, but my wizard can take out GM's with acid ball easily, and can always teleport, so when playing him I don't worry about it.

I was doing the standard hack/step back, (monster wastes turn stepping forward) hack/step back manuever.

I foolishly had no teleport method on me, and hadn't yet gotten that level of mindcraft. (I must remember to keep those handy scrolls/wands on me at all times!)

It was my first time playing a mindcrafter, and it was interesting, but my Troll wizard is waaay more powerful - playing him means that almost nothing in the game is a challenge.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/27/2007 at 22:34 (GMT -5) by Tianjin]
Treasue Hunter
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 05:16 (GMT -5)

Ahh, that explains it even better :) Must have missed BDC4 vs BDC5 thing, sorry.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: