Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / My YASD Parade

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5603 days, 19 hours, 5 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

I was indirectly inspired by a couple friends to come back to ADOM for a little bit. I've never had the desire (or the skill, I admit) to conquer any challenge games, but I've previously managed eight wins, including one of each ultra ending and an ordinary chaos god, always with a new race and a new class. This leaves me with high elves and gray elves as the only races left to use, with gray elves being the same as high elves but with more elf-ness. One of the last fully-unique classes left to use is mindcrafter, as opposed to all the redundant fighters and mages. So, I'm playing gray elven mindcrafters. Mostly female, because they're sexier. I'm willing to admit that.

I knew this would be a challenge; for one thing, their skill list is terrible, and newly learned skills seem very slow to train. But some things have been surprisingly easy. True-berserking with a quarterstaff can be safely combined with confusion blast, so getting the waterproof blanket is no real problem. Finding the raiders at 20 xp until level 6 essentially guarantees a victory, so sometimes I can buy detect traps before I'm level 7. "So why is YASD in the title?" you ask. Well, witness in horror at how the RNG absolutely hates me. In addition to fairly standard ways that my hopeful characters die - such as an ogre magus when I have no cold resistance, and a lightning vortex removing my gray elf's ENTIRE hp - there are these examples where random circumstances collided in the worst way.

My first hopeful mindcrafter successfully cleared the village dungeon, and ventured into the puppy cave to see how he might fare against ants and the like. (I normally do the druid's quest, but I'm not scumming for candle so healing is more important.) I casually explored the first level until I took two steps into a room and realized that two traps had just gone off in succession. I never got the "you shudder..." message, but was now in a room full of traps. I killed off the pesky pit vipers that had been released. My hp was low, but even at full health my hp would still be low, so I took the chance to train my newly acquired detect traps. Well, I managed to fall into a pit that I'd already discovered, despite my elven dexterity. I was still alive, though, until a blink dog arrived - which summoned more blink dogs - one of which opened a pit full of vipers.

Another mindcrafter was at the bottom of VD:7, hoping to have a routine jog back to Jharod with Yriggs nipping at my heels. I found Yriggs, and came back to find an unpleasant surprise between me and the stairs. A black wizard had moved in, and made a point of summoning the worst possible monsters for a mindcrafter. Ordinary skeletons appeared, but those were not my concern. I found myself up against ochre jellies. I sacrificed all my ammunition to kill one, my best melee weapon to kill another, and I still had several more blocking my way. I retreated, hoping I could recover some health (without the healing skill, mind you) when I found a dark elven wizard and his minions further in the dungeon. The exact cause of death was despair.

My most accomplished mindcrafter, after getting healing, law, detect traps, swimming, and a dead puppy, found it time to take on the UD. I survived the desperate crawl from one corner of the SMC to the other, so it looked like the coast was clear. I plowed through the first six or so levels, finding loot I couldn't wait to identify. I was already equipping a respectable suit of armor, which covered my ridiculously fragile elven frame. Then, on the seventh level, I wanted to clear up some large black spaces on my map, so I was hunting for a secret door. While pressing 's' fairly rapidly, I failed to notice the message "Something hits you." the first two times. By the third time, it was too late.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 10 hours, 29 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 15:00 (GMT -5)

Well, seeing as to how you've won more than me by a long shot, I still feel I have advice to offer: it is good to go to the Infinite Dungeon in early game with weak chars so you can get exp, food, scrolls, potions, and better weapons.(Mindcrafters good with 1handed weapon+shield).
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
PeanutGod
Registered user
Lord of Misery

Last page view:

5052 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 14, 2007 at 16:18 (GMT -5)

I can feel your pain with the mindcrafters. They have such awesome powers, and yet truly suck at low levels. Especially when you're playing a grey elven one, which makes you pretty damn wimpy.

I play DE MC's myself, and have gotten some pretty good results (one of which is due to the fact that they have Alertness and Find Weakness to start with which is pretty damn good). I don't even bother going to get the blanket, don't care about it in most games now. The carpenter quest can be a right pain in the anal, especially when you head back and you have a wood chopping nutter on one side of you in a corridor and a host or claw bigs - jellies - cats on the other. It just pisses you right off, so don't feel bad, you're not the only one.

I'll always head straight to the ID until I'm level 5 (having learnt pick pocket on the way). Then its killing Kranach time. Then back to the ID, until around lv 8, where I'll go find the carpenter, get healing, find the dog corpse and then do the UD.

Some of my mindcrafters tend to be rather nuts, in the fact that they don't mind getting into a fight, never been afraid of using a couple of weapons. I'll usually train swords, just for Nonnaks weapon later on because it never hurts. Thats of course, if I don't find a decent spear or something else first.

Around lv 7/8, I like to dive into the wilderness to find some barbarians, go to coward mode, mow them all down with visions of kinky naked hobgoblins and then steal their bows, just to train them up incase I have to fight some annoying bugs or so.

Once the first few stages are complete and you hit the COC, they really seem to take off from there.
Ladies and Gentleman, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 00:42 (GMT -5)

I have another one to add to this list.

The most recent mindcrafter managed to get all the way through the first caves and into the HMV. I snuck past a stone giant lord and was extremely lucky to find an AoLS in the shop! I don't usually equip them, but knowing my luck I made an exception and put it on. It's a good thing I did, because upon exiting the shop I promptly got slaughtered. My hp was in the red further than my full health is in the black; I'm surprised I wasn't gibbed. I managed to take down the giant afterwards; I'm surprised that they can be confused so easily. Knowing that, I could have saved the AoLS if I had been more careful. Oh well, easy come easy go.

This mindcrafter is actually still alive, but this is still YASD in my opinion. I can't blame the RNG on this one, it was really quite nice to me - I just blew it.

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Battle bunny
Registered user
I'm just that cool

Last page view:

5827 days, 16 hours, 51 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 06:19 (GMT -5)

YASD=Yet another stupid Death, mister. :)
(\_/)
(o.0)
(> <)
( / \ )

Don't click this
http://www.mindistortion.net/iwantyoursoul/?i_am=Darkcutter
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 19:23 (GMT -5)

He died! So what if he got better?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/15/2007 at 19:23 (GMT -5) by Some guy]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5764 days, 10 hours, 29 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 20:05 (GMT -5)

Well,as far as the information you've given us, your mindcrafter is still alive...unless he died after cheating death once.

"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 20:51 (GMT -5)

He's still alive, so fine... it's not YASD. Close, though.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: