Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / about corruption

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user
Sick Burdened Stunned Confused

Last page view:

5971 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes and 51 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 07:20 (GMT -5)

Hey again, now here's the point:
Thanx to your advices i am now able to always get my chars around lvl20, and i finally learned how to bypass the mid-game struggle for surviving(im talking about barbarians..dunno much about others).
Now each time i get to that point my character is always badly corrupted.

Usually the first corruption occurs round lvl12 and it takes quite a lot to get the second and the third, but after that it takes always smaller amounts of time to go on till im transformed into a chaos being..seems like theres nothing i can do to prevent this.
I found a potion of cure corruption once but they're SO rare...this is fucking frustrating me, i could accept a warrior's death but this is a far more treacherous way to lost a character..a very good character by the time im writing.
Does this happens to lawful chars as well? I always play chaotic ones.
Also, is there a relation between chaotic acts and corruption? Any advice would be so very fucking welcome!! Sorry for posting this long..its part of me anyway. Thanx
w6u6f
Registered user

Last page view:

6261 days, 12 hours, 50 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

Best thing to do is read through the adom guidebook on corruption, great amount of detail there.

Being L+ decreases corruption by -30%, L or LN -10 %, C- enhances corruption by +30%

A good strategy for you at this point of the game would be to pick up the wand of teleportation in the VDDL before the assassin guild. You'll need a form of item detection and digging to get it which normally you'll have by this time of the game. Eat a blink dog corpse for teleport control. Then you can go to dwarftown, zap the wand, talk to the mystic who will give you 4 scrolls of CR (as long as you aren't lawful).
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

Thanx! I mostly rely on the manual rather than on guidebook but ill surely give a glance to it..i still cant figure out where 'the mystic' could be but ill find it out
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5771 days, 1 hour, 1 minute and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 08:24 (GMT -5)

Or chaotic for that matter:D

Don't read guidebook if you do not want to be spoiled, which is why you're posting in this section, I'm guessing.

Also, the 90th day is bad, corruption doubles after that. But getting crowned chaotic is BAD....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 08:47 (GMT -5)

Thats it! didnt read the guidebook yet..i dont have any rush to finish the game, tough its gonna take me ages to do so i think..well, for now i just talked to the mystic and he said he wasnt waiting for me..at this point i guess i have no chance to have my corruptions removed..ill have to find another way to get through this in the future. Oh crap, it takes me a lot (more than 90 days)to get an orcish barb up to lvl23 so how can you possibly handle this? Hell it gets a loooot of patience...
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 13:25 (GMT -5)

Ummm, basically you should either get your hands on:
A certain pair of special boots*hint* first word is a number.

Don't waste time.

Check to make sure that you're not wasting time.

I used to take 100 days just to finish in Terinyo, but now it takes me no less than 10 days to do PC, Kranach, healing/herbalism and HMV if I'm focused.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 9 hours, 37 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 at 22:40 (GMT -5)

Trying to learn this game on your own is all well and good, but until I read the guidebook from start to finish I never could have won. Adom is a community enterprise, no single person can handle it alone. Also, I save-scummed a couple wins just to get the feel for the game all the way through. Thanks to these spoily and evil tactics, I can now win legimately, and it's my advice to you.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 17 hours and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 at 04:37 (GMT -5)

From the Manual:
"Rumor has it that the dark magic used by the forces of Chaos and their presence itself have corrupting effects on all living beings on Ancardia and even on the environment itself. Strange mutants have been sighted and formerly normal humans suddenly were horribly changed.

Be prepared to be faced with these dangers and try to avoid becoming transformed into a horrible being of Chaos. Although the powers might seem advantageous, they nearly always will bring doom (or so they say)."

Soooo, this is the ultimate threat you are fighting against. Now that you have learned to fight, you must try to overcome this obstacle.

You must have noticed, by now, certain monsters attacks that gave a message like "XXX hits you, you feel corrupted". You are using barbarians. What if you could kill these monsters at a distance? Then they couldn't corrupt you, could they now. Use missile weapons on them, or try different classes (archer, wizard)

There is a birthsign that can help you:"Unicorn: Harder to corrupt by Chaos effects, hard to change to a different alignment once lawful, +2 to initial Appearance."
Sounds boring for a fighter type, but since you appear to die from chaos mabye give it a try.

I'm sure you also suspect that there are some areas that corrupt more than others. If you identify such areas, be careful about hanging out there too much.

There are some hidden places and ways to find the means of removing corruption. Sadly, I had to find them all by reading the guidebook. But mabye you are smarter than me. If you don't know how to advance, and don't know where to find the hidden good stuff, then the game is very very hard, I should think. So you need to search for corruption removal stuff, and you need to figure out what to do to advance the game.

Luck.
undertaker
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

>Usually the first corruption occurs round lvl12...

Hmm, seems to me you are doing something very basic wrong. Very basic and not at all obvious to someone who didnt read the guide. So, what are you doing till you get to lvl12?
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 08:08 (GMT -5)

Thanx for da help..ive been paying attention to chaos beings and corruption traps..i got all this corruptions without ever being hitted by a chaos being(except a single hit from a certain Snake from beyond). What wasn't clear to me was that i had to spare time..so much time! I use to spent whole days roamin' in the mountains trying to spot some powerful beast to level up 'coz otherwise i cannot quite face the deeper levels of CoC..as for 7LB, i knew they are meant to save energy while moving, but never thought it was so important to get through the game. Mostly i found them useful to escape from tough opponents..
Im not completely sure about lvl12 to be the first occurrance of corruption, its only roughly like that. Me thinks i'll better find a way to level up faster. If i only rely on the 'normal' develop of the game(that means doing the basic quests, heading straight to CoC, then pyramid and water temple etc) im quite sure i'll be dying to some powerful beast..leveling up faster and dont waste time, thats the way. Ill give some more try to pure gameplaying before surrendering to the guidebook..thanx alot for making me love adom more and more!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 11 hours, 5 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 at 08:09 (GMT -5)

Managing to get anywhere in the game without the Guidebook is a lot more satisfying than following it. Reading the Guidebook took a lot of the fun out of the game for me.

Anyway, for corruption you obviously need ways to remove it. There are two types of items that can be used for this - you've already found the potions, but there's something else that works stronger. Also, all items work much better when blessed. Being chaotic doesn't help you (especially since lawful/neutral quests yield more anti-corruption rewards), nor does going past day 90 or spending time in deep dungeons.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5610 days, 9 hours, 37 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 22:09 (GMT -5)

Removing corruption is almost less important than knowing how to avoid it. "Don't waste time" is still the key point here. It is possible to win the game having only used a few potions of cure corruption to get rid of the especially bad chaos powers.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4156 days, 16 hours, 22 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 23:17 (GMT -5)

on other hand if you get all guaranteed scrolls you can piss on time limit.

that theoretically allows your char to be better.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 06:11 (GMT -5)

Yeah, but lower score too

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: