Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / PANIC! Run away.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 7 hours, 6 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 at 06:56 (GMT -5)

Just did a little source-diving...
(no, not source code, this is in the Manual...)

I was not previously aware of this:

SPECIAL NOTE: If you are setting your tactics level to 'coward' and then simply move around without attacking anything, such a move only costs 800 energy points *if* your hitpoints are reduced to one-third their starting value or below (panic does that to you -- and since ADOM basically is a heroic game we'll ignore other wound effects). Remember this when you try to run away!

Indeed - I had missed this bit of information, or perhaps never learnt it. Useful trick for running away, obviously, but also when you need to outrun something (like cats...) get 67% hurt, go to coward mode, and you walk fast enough to leave many annoying monsters behind. Perhaps monsters you would prefer not to kill.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5770 days, 15 hours, 7 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 at 08:29 (GMT -5)

I learned about this tactic about a month ago, very useful in early game, very useful for killing Kranach while avoiding arrows and keeping distance with weak chars.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
**Chaos
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 06:52 (GMT -5)

yeah i knew this for a while - helped me when i was a starter character and ambushed by jackals (and didn't want jackal as first kill) i get hit till im low on hp, then go coward and boost it away :p
Portrait
Ilsekko
Registered user
Sick Burdened Stunned Confused

Last page view:

5971 days, 5 hours, 34 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 06:58 (GMT -5)

Hum..isn't it a bit risky? you could get hit too hard before you start running...
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5770 days, 15 hours, 7 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

Well, that's why you would just stay on coward if you're really weak.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Some guy
Registered user
I'm baaaack.

Last page view:

5609 days, 23 hours, 43 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 at 01:57 (GMT -5)

I've known about this ever since I accidentally discovered it in my early Adom career. My favorite pastimes at that time were getting injured and running away.
The following is a real Adom message:

The homunculus hits you. You suddenly fall asleep! Do you want to continue to read the spellbook of Calm Monster? [y/N]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: