Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Drizzt

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5767 days, 4 hours, 42 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 at 18:11 (GMT -5)

Well, I just requested "Sojourn" of the Drizzt books at my local library, is this a good book to read to get into the series, or is there any defined order to it?
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 9 hours, 8 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 07:26 (GMT -5)

I was so excited when I first got them because of the hype. Dizzt is referenced in so many places (Baldur's gate I and II, Order of the Stick, Goblins) Drizzt appeared in some other trilogy first. He was so popular that they made an "Origins" triligy.

I was very disappointed. The writing and character development/depth is woefully inadequate. It is fine fluff from the library, but not worth buying. Maybe the first trilogy he appeared in is better.

If you want some good D&D based books, get the first Dragonlance trilogy.
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 at 13:11 (GMT -5)

I never played DnD before, but I guess that it is similar to adom considering that TB plays it.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
coyo7e
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

Sojourn was the first salvatore book I read, and after reading the Dark Elf Trilogy, I went back and read "The Crystal Shard" and the rest of his original series where Drizzt first cropped up.

The Dark Elf trilogy is an extremely well-written series, and it won't reference anything which you would miss without reading other books first.

Most of the later Drizzt books after a certain point go downhill rapidly, with characters going through issues which are, well, ludicrous (a barbarian with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, continuous confusion as to the gender of Drizzt's magical pet, a cross-race love story which made me a bit upset that the author even went there.)

I basically lost my faith and respect for the author at a certain point, specifically when I was reading one story, and he calls Guenhwyvar "it", then another story where Guen is a "he", and then i went back to the original books to confirm that, yes, the cat was indeed female..

Salvatore's later books read more like a D&D item manual, you can actually see the cooldowns and charges on items in his writing. He originally made the gear upto fit the characters, but in latter books he really feels like he's making the characters do things just to show off magic gear. Jarlaxle's character is a prime example of this as in later stories, as are some of the toys Artemis Entreri gets his hands on.

Great stories, great characters, but they should have been put to rest 5-8 years ago. Drizzt is not James Bond or Dirk Pitt, and he should not be treated like a franchise.

...And Salvatore's author's portraits in the back of the books got sillier and sillier too. If you look at his first books he looks like a normal guy, and after ten years or so he's gone to standing in half-shadow with his long nerd hair flowing Fabio-like, while he wields a broadsword artfully placed to conceal his pudginess.
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

5991 days, 9 hours, 2 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 at 03:26 (GMT -5)

I Will Never Tire Of Salvatores Stories Because I Love Epic Characters (Simon Green Is Good At Them Too)

Artemis Is My Fave, He Teams Up With Jarlaxle For Some New Books (SellSwords?) I Think The First One Was *Promise of The Lich King*

Had A Dwarf With Two Magic Morningstars. Tough SoB - Jarlaxle Has an "Acme" Magic Hole :p

But Yes, Its Always Best To Read Books In Order, So-

Homeland.
Exile.
Sojourn.

The Crystal Shard.
Streams of Silver.
The Halflings Gem.

The Legacy.
Starless Night.
Siege of Darkness.

.vultuous.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 17 hours, 9 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2007 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

I was just about to make a thread about this, I'm pretty confused with the order.
I've read all the books you mentioned (chaotichaos) in the same order, but now I have The Cleric Quintet(5) and The Hunter's Blade (3). In which order must they be read? In Canticle, the fist book of the Cleric Quintet series Cadderly is a young priest, while in the Dark Elf trilogy he's old(er) and has kids. Maybe the books were written after the Dark Elf saga but took part before Drizzt came to the surface? I'm not sure why I noted the books in this order, I did it a long time ago off Wikipedia.
And yeah, the first books in the Dark Elf series were excellent, especially those in which he was describing Menzzo..., but the last three books reminded me of Microsoft and Britney Spears. One would do anything for money, while the other one should just die.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/8/2007 at 14:48 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 at 20:40 (GMT -5)

I read all of those that Chaotic chaos listed, just got the thousand orcs collector's edition, has 3 books in it. I must say, Wulfgar has some serious issues at some points...I mean, he puts the term,"I've got inner demons" to a whole new level!lol
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

Yeah Hunters Blade Trilogy Is Cool.
Drizzt Goes Back to The 'Hunter' phase.
And You Get A Super Frikken Cool Orc!!

Not Sure Where The Cleric Quintet Fits in, Cadderley Gets OLDER and Younger and WEird stufF Happens...

In Wulfgars Defence, He did get tortured by demons...
.vultuous.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

I checked Wikipedia again and I figured it out. None of it makes sense, though, why couldn't Salvatore just start with a book and keep an eye on the timeline? Cadderly is a pretty cool character, I like the Cleric Quintet so far.
For the Horde!
Portrait
**cHAoTicChaOs**
Registered user
Chaotic Awesome

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

I Like Cadderlys Toys.
Doom YoYo!!!!!
.vultuous.
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 at 20:58 (GMT -5)

If you want a good D&D based book series, you whould read the original Dragon Lance trilogy. The second DL trilogy was fun, but not worth buying -- I suggest getting it from the Library.

If you like Swords and sorcery, I recommend Harry Turtledoves Videssos cycle (Any Videssos book with the word "Legion" in the title) I also enjoyed David Eddings _Belgariad_. In both cases, only read the first series.

Fo heavier epic tales, I say go with Tolkien, Donaldson or Jordan. I am still deciding about George R. R. Martin.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 at 04:42 (GMT -5)

I will try some of those books Caladriel. I have read some of Eddings's books, not sure if the Belgariad, but they were about Sparhawk and the Blue Rose. Might have been the Elenium.
For the Horde!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/11/2007 at 04:43 (GMT -5) by Mewto]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 16:11 (GMT -5)

Ugh, the Elenium. Keep away (both trilogies)

It is always dangerous when an author gets to anamoured with his or her protagonists. When the protagonists always win and are portrayed as the avatar of virtue (especially when I consider their decisions to be distinctly immoral) I start to root for the bad guys.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

All of Edding's books were boring. I liked them in the beginning but soon enough they were repeating themselves. Same plot, different bad guys. Bluerose could crack continents but no major magic displays :(

Any other swords and sorcery books you recommend, Caladriel?
For the Horde!
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 at 17:24 (GMT -5)

I highly recommend Guy Gavriel Kay's "Fionavar Tapestry" trilogy and Tigana. Classic Swords/Sourcery.

Lynn Hardy's Master of the Five Magics (only the first in the series. The other two are kind of lame)

Hmmmm, I enjoyed Fred Saberhagen's "Empire of the East", "Book of Swords" and "Book of Lost Swords" series

So far, I have liked David Gemmell (I have read 5 of his books) They are light on Sourcery, but heavy on Swords and plot.
Swiftfingers
Registered user

Last page view:

5701 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 24, 2007 at 19:12 (GMT -5)

I think G.R.R. Martin is a fabulous author. I am waiting for the end of the Song of Ice and Fire series. Was a bit disappointed with the last book, A Feast for Crows, but it was still good. Martin's short stories are also good.

Another author that I have come across recently is Roger Zelazny. He is a master of sci-fi and fantasy. Some say his Chronicles of Amber series rates up there with Tolkien. I have enjoyed everything that I have read by him. Tis a shame that he died in 1995.

As far as Salvatore goes, I like the genre, but I am not enamored with his story telling. Everything always works out far too perfectly. Tis one of the reasons I like Martin.

I agree, the Dragonlance trilogy is class.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, December 28, 2007 at 17:45 (GMT -5)

Indeed there is nothing like curling
up with a good book. Then again, there
is nothing quite like playing ADOM,
while your computer reads the book to
you. My favorite book reading program
is SPEAK from shadisoft.

http://www.shadisoft.com/download/speak.shtml

Yeah, some might find that kinda
distracting, (especially with a book
that you really want to take time and
enjoy) but for most books, it works fine.
It has an option to read more slowly,
which is nice for books like those in the
discworld series, where things sometimes
need to rest on you for a second. It also
will read very fast, and that's nice for
books that you have already read through
once or more.

My favorite magic based book series is
Robert Asprin's Myth series. I could
read (or rather listen to) it from start
to finish on any given day. The first
books are better than the last, and it's
more comedy than heavy.

Second fav is Wies and Hickman's Death
Gate Cycle series. It's a bit more heavy
but still some comedy.

Third, Terry Pratchet's discworld.
I'm not all the way through them yet,
but I liked Pyramids a lot.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 11:19 (GMT -5)

Gut:
What is Death Gate like? After Dragon lance, I tried their black sword (or Dark Sword or whatever) but it did not sing to me.

The Myth series is good, but I felt it got silly by the end. Coincidentally, I feel the same about Asprin's Thieve's World anthology series. It started of great, but lost its way by the end.

From your list, I think you should go get Craig Shaw Gardner's Ebenezum series (Malady of Magic series?) It is a great humor magic series.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 17 hours, 3 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 31, 2007 at 23:53 (GMT -5)

True about the asprin books, reading them for the
first time when I was in my early teens, I just
developed a lasting fondness for them. Wish I
could say the same for the Xanth books, I stuck
with them for as long as I could though.

The Death Gate Cycle is different, reading them
at age 29, they still don't seem childish. There
are 2 powerful races at war, Sartan and Patryn.
Long ago, the Sartan imprisoned their enemy and
sundered the world into 4 element worlds. The
Sartan suffered greatly, for mysterious reasons,
and soon disappeared all-together.

The story begins with the Lord of the Nexus
(most powerful Patryn ever) having escaped the
prison (Labryinth). He then helps others to
escape, and sends one, Haplo to reak chaos
through the worlds. You can't help but pull
for Haplo, even though he's supposed to be
the bad guy, I always like that. He eventually
becomes a force for good, and I like that even
more.

All the books have good plot lines and are well
written. The thing I like most about the Death
Gate Cycle, is that I really LIKE the characters.
Even the dis-likable or annoying ones are
interesting.

I will try some books from Gardner.
Havn't read anything of his yet, so thanks
for the heads up. Currently I'm finishing up
Confessor, the last book of the Sword of Truth
series. I got hooked on them after reading the
first one, and sort of wish I hadn't (highly
repetitive). I think Terry Goodkind's books
have a bit too much torture. The guy may have
some serious mental problems.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Swiftfingers
Registered user

Last page view:

5701 days, 6 hours, 45 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 01, 2008 at 23:10 (GMT -5)

I can vouch for the Craig Shaw Gardner series. I haven't read those for a long time, but I remember them as being very good.

Hope you enjoy them:)

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: