Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Of Assassins and Wizards

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5765 days, 6 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 06:55 (GMT -5)

Yesterday I had a free afternoon, so I played adom for the most part, and I had two somewhat successful characters. The one under YAVSD,and a trollish assassin....

For wizards, I find that dwarvish wizards are by far the easiest, since they can be played like a fighter class, and still have extremely good magical abilities,I play them like a more magically oriented paladin, oh, and the skillset is very nice, makes early game non-existent, and trip to HMV iminent.

For assassins, I have found that there are two approaches to playing assassins, at least for me:

For trolls and orcs, find yourself a big weapon that does alot of damage, preferably 2-hander, and play them almost like a barbarian.

For dark elves, which is the only race besides the 2 above that I've tried, I use 2 daggers and that typically doesn't work quite as well....

Anyways....

My latest assasin, a troll, used his heavy club and threw daggers the whole early game, but when he got crowned at level 9 with Kinslayer, I used that instead...and boy, was it nice:D

At level 11 I was ready to test how good this weapon was, so I made myself 11 blessed poisons, and blessed my blade, and got Waldenbrook to critically injured, poisoned, and afraid in one backstabbing attempt, on berserk. I killed a couple muscular dwarfs on normal settings easily(which normally are incredibly hard) and killed waldenbrook to ease the pain. I then killed the rest of dwarftown, killed Lawinoethol, Terinyo...but then tried to do HMV. Killed shopkeeper easily,(also very nice exp for trolls), but tried to kill crone...my best chance of killing her went downt the drain since I missed my backstabbing attempt, which usually sets me up for the kill, so she got angry, teleported me, then I saw her again and she killed me:(

So I know that trollish assassins are good(I imagine one with cow axe would be awesome:D)
So what are some other good combos or strategies to use? The main reason I think assassins and wizards are good is that they start with awesome skillsets..wizards get healing+herbalism+alchemy, assassins have every fighting technique available except tactics and courage. They also have no need to go get detect traps and other stuff from yergius. I think I'm gonna take a break from the ultimate archmage business and concentrate on winning with an assassin or wizard.
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 10 hours, 10 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 09:04 (GMT -5)

The old crone is one of the most powerful NPCs in the game - quite a nuisance to try and kill. The demented ratling also gets really buff after you've fed him 6 artifacts.

Assassins can be nice for their skills, but I wouldn't recommend trolls - they gain xp far too slowly. Dwarves might be a better choice (weird though that is). In the early game you have to rely on poison and thrown daggers to get you out of tight situations a lot, but later on they can become incredibly powerful due to their nice skills. Rangers are also nice for amazing skillsets, but a bit harder to keep alive at the start I find. With both these classes you can do a good job using spells later too if you spend a wish on Concentration. But dual-wielding is always a bad idea though in my books - makes you act slower and with less defenses.

Wizards skills are pretty poor I think - very basic, and most classes have one or the other of Healing or Herbalism, allowing them to get both through quests. They're mostly good for having a strong offense at the start and becoming powerhouses at the end. They're also vulnerable to stupid suicides though - Strength of Atlas and Magic Missile in particular can be risky spells.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5765 days, 6 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 at 17:58 (GMT -5)

That's how my wizard died: magic missile in a tight hallway....

Which brings up a point: when is adom going to have diagonal hallways, bigger hallways, and more interesting streams? I mean, the cavernous levels are cool, but those are like 5/1000....

Anyways....

So which race would be suitable(for roleplaying purposes please:D)? For those of you who have read the Drizzt books, I could make my own Jarlaxle....Wield just a sword, throw daggers,and be very sneaky. Kinslayer would be nice...

Orcs still learn slow......dark elves aren't too strong, but could be made into a beast using cow axe. And dark elves are ok at spellcasting too, right? So I would have spells as a backup...(if playing as Jarlaxle, have darkness, scare monster(faerie fire), farsight(infrared vision),teleportation(levitation). I think I'll continue with dark elves, though it may prove difficult in early game. And resisting my temptations as said above with slaughtering entire towns just because of an accident. I might just even do another OCG for fun.....
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/7/2007 at 18:06 (GMT -5) by nOOb-mAsTeR]
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4600 days, 15 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

One of my best, and favorite characters was a dark elven assasin. The beginning was tough, with low str, using whatever weapons I could find, throwing daggers a lot to survive. But once I got a good shield and was crowned with Kinslayer, I was golden from there.

The great thing about Dark Elves, is that they get the Alertness skill, which means dodging bolts and missiles and breath and other spells and traps a high % of the time. This saves your life, especially vs the Guardian of the fire orb, Ogre Magus', Dark Sages, Lightning Lizards, ect. When the skill is at 100, and you have high perception and dexterity, you are an elusive target.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: