Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / heat resistant blankets?

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4960 days, 19 hours, 25 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

Hi guys, been playing adom (badly) for years and lurking here for ages, but now I am really miffed and have to ask a question, so here I am: my now dead gnomish mindcrafter lost two blessed fireproof blankets, one to a fire vortex, and one from the soothing warmth of the first level of the ToEF... Not cursed, not doomed, wearing the Anhk, and of course, right next turn my SoCRs are incinerated... I got the hell out of there, but was so angry I died mindwaving hundreds of trees in the forest looking for more blankets...

Only managed to even think about the ToEF with two PCs before this one, and their blankets had no troubles.... Did I just have cunningly disguised blessed vaguely heat resistant blankets?

Are their effects cumulative? Will three blankets be three times less likely to die?

vp
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 07:10 (GMT -5)

It sounds like you just had some really bad luck vogonpoet. I can't be sure whether the effects of fireproof blankets are cumulative or not, but I suspect that they are not.

Even with a number of blessed fireproof blankets, it is usally a good idea to travel through the ToEF with only artifacts/heat immune items equipped in order to map it out before you return a second time with everything else so that you can minimise the time that you spend in the ToEF.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4153 days, 17 hours, 11 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 07:52 (GMT -5)

fireproofs never protect worn items, Gozer. i thought you know this.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 08:07 (GMT -5)

I never did find any rings of ice, so I was only dressed in latest higher metal fashions and artifacts, but never occurred to me that my blanket would prove so feeble... still, forgetting the trees would become hard as wooden nails after I killed too many of them was a bit dumb... Had I had food preservation I would just have left entire back pack behind and tried luck with mental powers alone, but of all the deaths the ToEF has to offer, starvation would be pretty lame
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Er, yes I did know Soirana. I was just suggesting that if you only equip heat-immune items and leave everything else (fireproof blankets included) behind, then you can scout the ToEF and return later with everything that you need. This would save yourself some time when completing the ToEF - thus, reducing the likelihood of losing all your fireproof blankets.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 08:16 (GMT -5)

Like I said earlier, vogonpoet, it just sounds like you had some *really* bad luck. Hopefully next time will be luckier ;)
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 08:31 (GMT -5)

Luck? Baa...
If my current elven wizard gets that far, theire will be no luck, just piles and piles of blessed fireproof blankets, and a reversion to my previous ToEF paranoia..
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 at 08:37 (GMT -5)

Well, with the right planning a wizard should be able to finish the ToEF without any blankets.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 2 hours and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:21 (GMT -5)

To get more blankets, there are a number of things you can do. If you have more than one waterproof blanket, or some plain blankets, you can dip them in blessed potions of exchange or any potion of raw chaos, for a chance to get a new blanket, possibly a fireproof one. I personally have had good luck with blessed fireproof blankets, after completing the tower, I go back in to kill red dragons for their loot.

And why kill the trees yourself when you can have the Banshee mow them down for you and they won't get any stronger?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4153 days, 17 hours, 11 minutes and 41 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:24 (GMT -5)

blankets transform into random items. not exclusively blankets.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4603 days, 2 hours and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 15:26 (GMT -5)

They do?!? That's odd. I thought all items transformed into a similar type... rings into rings, amulets into amulets, swords into swords. Any other items that may not turn into the same type?
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 04:17 (GMT -5)

The sheep is dead, lone live the sheep.
Perhaps it is hasty of me, but I tend to just kill her and move on... Scared of fire and dribbling ears...

no blankets Gozer? I am sure thats easy for an ex archmage to say, but i still havent had a single vicotry of any description... last time I took a spell caster into the ToEF his feeble bolt-casting ass got panned by the wurm... I do have ice ball and heal this time though, so maybe I have a chance
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

I concur regarding the banshee - kill and move on. Having the banshee follow you around is an unnecessary risk that could backfire horribly - besides, the *best* case scenario is that she "steals" all your XP.

As for wizards and the ToEF . . . my advice is complete the secret library before you hit the tower (unless you stumble across some *insanely lucky* items before the rift). Invisibility + ice ball + heal + darkness = excellent chance of clearing the ToEF, even with minimal equipment.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 04:35 (GMT -5)

Oh, and if you haven't done so already, do a search for ToEF threads - it's arguably the most challenging part of the game given your relative character development when you encounter it and there has been plenty of discussion regarding strategies and tips that are useful for all characters.

Some things to consider off the top of my head:

1. Make sure you are in good standing with your diety in case you need to pray.

2. Invisibility helps *a lot*.

3. Confusion resistance is a must.

4. If in doubt, attempt the water temple first - particularly if you are a mage so that you can enjoy the benefits of the water orb.

5. Draw the ACW out (bolt spells, wands, ranged attacks) instead of venturing in and getting swarmed.

6. Use pickaxes, wands of digging, wands of door creation, etc. to use the terrain to your advantage.

7. Wands of poison and paralysation are a godsend.

8. Don't forget about webbing and darkness.

9. Slaying ammo and ball spells are your friends.

10. Don't forget to boost stats and speed if in doubt.

11. *Massive* sources of healing (appropriate potions, spells, and prayer) are obviously essential. Don't rely on blessed herbs.
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 04:36 (GMT -5)

One other thing that is often forgotten about: blessed SoFS.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 at 05:20 (GMT -5)

Nightmare: blankets are tools. There are other tools than blankets, like keys, fletchery sets and so on. In my second archmage game I transformed surplus keys (I had absolutely shedloads of 'em) into fletchery sets and created some arrows (blessed fletchery set+blessed log gives a nice amount of ammo), some 15000 plain ones, IIRC, and even some special ones like unerring arrows of slaying.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 02:17 (GMT -5)

I think the ToEF just isn't as hot sometimes.... I went scouting with my bloated virtually unequipped
wiz, with just a few si's in my pack for luck, no blankets, and some large rations to see how long they would last... Picked up two slings on lowest level, went to top, mapped it, came back out again, and one of my slings was still fine...Most of the rations were burnt toast by time I was satiated mind...

Anyway, we made it :)

Ummm, this is actually in the ADOM discussion not Spoiler section, and because never tried out the tags before...

Spoiler

Web was ok...
My blessed wand of paralysation was rubbish :(.
But my feeble STUN spell, used occasionally on cats, had no problems whatsoever... I cast once, he's staggering. I waste another few turns stunning him again, unable to believe he aint gonna recover real soon.
I iceball him to death in about 6 castings...
Crazy.

Now I just have one sad problem - someone dropped a WoWi with 5 charges in the lower levels of the temple (boy am I glad I had my blankets with me for final assault), and I have no idea what to do with so much bounty. I found a GoGS and 7LBs before, but have bad climbing and bug fear, so maybe some SoCRs - Kelly is safe, mind.... If only I was less slooow. 81 days gone....

vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 02:20 (GMT -5)

Oh and incidentally:

YES!!! My spellcaster kicked wurm @$$. YES!!!
Gozer
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 02:49 (GMT -5)

Congrats - sounds like you have a promising character going there!
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 02:59 (GMT -5)

Well I think some of you guys could have won the game with him already - did I mention the bookshop on D9 just above DT and the bookshop above the ToTHK? I'm almost scared to go further, never had anyone as lucky as this before, and I really dont want to kill him through stupidity...
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3603 days, 14 hours, 17 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 at 06:13 (GMT -5)

Play very little a day. Play an hour, take a 15 min break, play another hour and stop. Or something like that. I played for 7 hours yesterday and my lv 30 drakish priest died to the piranhas after killing the Skeletal King... first char to reach level 30 in 2 years, I think :P
For the Horde!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: