Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / comments needed.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

nevered
Registered user

Last page view:

6111 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 15:00 (GMT -5)

I am currently playing the best game I've ever had, but there is a problem that has plagued me for some time mow: I am constantly getting hungry.

I'd estimate that in the course of exploring a dungeon level, I have to eat about 5 or 6 cooked lizard bits or risk starvation.

I'm level 18 (month:dragon) dwarven paladin (my favorite: the widest range of skills, good strength and toughness, too, and enough intelligence to make use of tomes I come across), I've got hooves, scales, and a bad temper (corruption) and an absurd number of artifacts (15 artifacts spawned total, i'm wearing the ancient mummy wrapping, the black torc, the elemental gauntlets, and usually dual weild some combination of the following: Nonnak sword, serpent's bite dagger, Justifier sword, Rolf's Companion Axe) I also have a cloak of invisibility, girdle of carrying, and the seven league boots.

(I got lucky early on and found the invisibility cloak and serpent's bite low level, which allowed me to survive for so long)

I was crowned at L+ and am fire immune.

so: do any of those items cause hunger? I'm not carrying anything that says it makes me hungry (I had a troll barbarian pick up a cursed girdle of hunger once. that ended quick :P )

as a sidenote: It's almost day 90, and I'm beginning to think that I will run out of time. my progress hasn't been that great: got the science crown out of darkforge (is it worth the dooming?) but haven't been able to kill whatsisface for the anvil (i've been itching to try out my smithing skill, but have no anvil and dwarftown is too expensive)

I tried a run through the tower of eternal flame (an ice ring and crowned immunity to fire made it possible), but that didn't work out too well, and can barely make it one level past the water level in the CoC.

I have been savescumming (As this is the absolute farthest I've gotten, I wanted the leeway to experiment with things like crowning and darkforge without wasting a weekend's work) Someday I'm going to do this without scumming, but it's just so darn frustrating when most of my characters don't even hit level five.

well, there are some questions buried in the novella written above, that i'm sure the more experienced of you can answer

also, and comments, tips, and tricks will be appreciated

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/26/2007 at 15:00 (GMT -5) by nevered]
Chambza
Registered user

Last page view:

5717 days, 10 hours, 34 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 26, 2007 at 18:09 (GMT -5)

You kind of answered your own question here - the reason you're getting so hungry is the fact that you're wearing half the artifacts of the whole bloody Chain. They fasten your metabolism. More artifacts - more need for food.

And most of all, the cloak of invisibility, IIRC, makes you require more food than a couple artifacts combined - use it only when you need it!

Note that only equipped items affect. And being a crowned champion helps with artifact-related food consumption, but you already got that.

IMHO, the crown of science isn't worth it - especially not in the tower. Being doomed is a sure way to get your blanket burnt, followed quickly by everything you've got.

But I gotta say - gone thru DarkForge by level 18? Geesh. Maybe I gotta try dwarves myself some of these days.
The Real J.
Registered user
The faceless swordsman

Last page view:

5617 days, 20 hours, 3 minutes and 12 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 at 01:07 (GMT -5)

Chambza: IIRC my gnomish beastfighter cleaned out darkforge at around same level - fighting barehanded all the way. Of course he gained several levels doing that but on entering he was about level 18. Some characters just can dish out punishment better than others.
Sytytä toiselle tuli ja hän pysyy lämpimänä jonkin aikaa.
Sytytä hänet palamaan ja hän pysyy lämpimänä loppuelämänsä.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: