Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Burden Q

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5884 days, 20 hours, 40 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 at 03:47 (GMT -5)

I've read on http://www.aleph-null.com/adom/asg9.txt to NOT be burdened, as it hinders your stats etc., but http://www.andywlms.com/adom/adomgb-toc.html says that you can naturally train strength by being burdened.
I would rather train my strength, but if I'm needlessly hurting myself.. BLAH!!
just how bad is the penalty?

and also, this is rather a noobish question.
What exactly DOES strength do relative to damage? I mean.. does it have any bearing when you have a shortsword with 1d6?
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/28/2007 at 04:31 (GMT -5) by addjenius]
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4774 days, 23 hours, 6 minutes and 2 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 03:36 (GMT -5)

Being burdened is a great way to train strength in the early game. However it has its limitations, it will not train strenght over 16 (possibly 17). Strained will do the same slightly quicker.
Strained! will damage Dex in theory, but careful use of certain herbs will negate this problem entirely.
Not sure what the strength bonuses are exactly, I play Wizards, but 99 strenght does do more damage than 9, even with a wimpy short sword.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4243 days, 12 hours, 45 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

Strength does make very significant difference to the damage done with melee weapons, and rather importantly helps you stayed unburdened by increasing your carrying capacity. Being burdened will slow you down, and will also reduce your chance to hit and dodge, so if you're not training strength it's best to avoid. Even if you are training strength you might want to drop heavy stuff before entering combat.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3759 days, 21 hours, 29 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 at 19:48 (GMT -5)

You're only penalized while you're Burdened--so dropping the extra stuff takes your stats back up. If you're going to face a hard fight, just drop extra stuff on another level and come back for it later.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
nOOb-mAsTeR
Registered user
Master of all things nOOby!!!

Last page view:

5768 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 at 13:29 (GMT -5)

Noobish question on my part: Can monsters and other NPC's be burdened or incapable of lifting objects?(i.e. a goblin lifting some moloch armor)
"You try to give Fang, the large dog the bone. Fang, the large dog says,"Do you know who I am, mortal?!?!"
My smartest dog ever:D

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: