Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Brass Wand crash

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

5463 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 15:44 (GMT -5)

So I'm in the process of clearing out the Big Room, when I pick up one of two brass wands from the floor, and suddenly the game crashes. The adom.err file says something about 'illegal skill advancement'. I wasn't cheating or anything. Anyway, trying to restart ADOM fails unless I delete the adom.prc file. On doing that, it lets me start ADOM again, but my saved game is gone, and I can't find a way to resume my character. I have no idea if it's a problem with the Big Room, or wands, or just a random occurence. Still, is there any way to recover from this?

I doubt there will be, but it's worth asking. It's always frustrating when this happens. I have to admit, out of all the Roguelikes I've played, ADOM seems by far to be the most prone to crashing. And that's with avoiding the 'known' bugs like eating werewolf corpses.

When Roguelikes are so difficult in the first place, you really lose motivation when the character you poured blood swear and tears into is destroyed not through player error, but through this. Serves me right for not making backups, I suppose.
Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false.
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3602 days, 11 hours, 12 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

You can't resume playing that character, it's gone...
Try to make backup copies as often as possible, for example every 30 min.
For the Horde!
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5438 days, 4 hours and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 16:08 (GMT -5)

"...blood swear and tears..."

Yeah, I swear a lot playing ADOM, too.
You pick up the worn boots.
Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

5463 days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 21:22 (GMT -5)

Damn you, GiantFrog :P

My raging rage has subsided, due to my new character taking off quite well, but I thought while I was here, I'd ask - how do I make sure that my backups aren't affected by that save-game protection thing that gives negative luck? I've transferred save files between one computer and another before without it happening, but I wouldn't want it to kick in unexpectedly.
Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4152 days, 14 hours, 6 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 at 23:58 (GMT -5)

you get negative luck by editing save file. not for copy pasting.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5144 days, 14 hours, 44 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 at 03:14 (GMT -5)

Simply make a folder make "backupsaves" in ADOM folder, and send a copy of the savefile there before starting playing every day.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: