Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

5665 days, 16 hours, 43 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 at 23:46 (GMT -5)

I just completed it..and...the final scene is just...jeez....it got to me, like, emotionally. Like a really good movie or a book.

I`m breathless. It did nothing but stare at the screen for minutes after the credits rolled. The actor who plays Alyx was excellent. By the end, I cared what about happens to her. Like in a good movie I forgot she wasn`t real. I`ve played every major geeky RPG out there with some memorable characters, but none of them felt as real as the cast of Episode Two.

The whole game felt special. I`ve watched games evolve for nearly two decades now, and I always knew they had potential to be serious art. HL1 was a step in the right direction. In HL2 they pushed it further, but it had it`s flaws. Episode One moved the emotional connection to the characters even further, but with Episode 2 I feel they finally cracked it. It`s an awesome experience.

I`m a jaded old cynical gamer, but Episode 2 has restored my faith. I been left unmoved by most games of the past five years or so. I`ve watched the world go apeshit over Halo 3 and said `meh`. Even Bioshock feels like old stuff wrapped in pretty graphics and hype to anyone who's played a decent range of games.

Maybe the people at Valve just share my tastes in games, but I`ve no doubt now they are best developers out there.

I`d urge you guys to go check it out if you havn`t already. Yes, it linear. Yeah, you won`t replay it more than a few times. But it`s like walking into epic, emotional, sci-fi thriller.

It feels historic. I felt like the first time I played Quake, or Homeworld, or Fallout. You know that now, nothing is going to be the same again.

Anyhoo, I had to get that off my chest. I`m off for a cup of tea and a lie down!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Lost_one
Registered user
unregistered user

Last page view:

5930 days, 2 hours, 44 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 01:19 (GMT -5)

Valve definitely makes the best games. They spend a hell of a long time working with an engine, and then they have fun with it, and finally they release tools for modders to make stuff to have even _MORE_ fun :P

epi. 2 was quite cool, but there weren't enough sneakily placed G-man appearances as I would've liked (or half life 2 original had).
"I have opinions -STRONG opinions- that sometimes, I don't agree with"

---Prez. George W. Bush
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3608 days, 5 hours, 2 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 03:29 (GMT -5)

Blizzard makes the best games :) Valve screwed up with source.

I have Ep2, but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Will give it a try, even if it won't run well on my pc. Will have to play HL2 first, though (got 10 original licenses for two years now and never finished it) and Ep1.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 09:15 (GMT -5)

Yeah, you have to play them in order. I'd recomend playing Portal before Ep2 as well, they definatley tie in!

Respect to Blizzard. You know they give a shit when they still patch thier games eight years after release (Starcraft!). No doubt they make highly polished games.

What do you mean by screwing up with Source? Do you mean Steam? I HATED Steam at first, but I actually find it useful now. I prefer Stardocks digital download system, you don't have to have it running to play the games!
"Men are born for games. Nothing else. Every child knows that play is nobler than work" - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Portrait
Mewto
Registered user

Last page view:

3608 days, 5 hours, 2 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

Well I mean they screwed up with Source from a pro-gamers point of view... just eye candy with the physics system crappy as hell. Bad gameplay and all, and valve forbid CS 1.6 to be allowed to be played in US in CGS, therefore all the major US 1.6 teams switched to Source ;) Sorry to bore you, but I'm pissed off because Valve doesn't really listen to the publics opinion. That's why CSPromod is coming out, a combo between Source and 1.6 (www.cspromod.com)

I didn't know that Blizzard kept updating Starcraft, since I don't play that particular game, but yeah, they do care about customers.
For the Horde!
Portrait
Hendar23
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 at 16:33 (GMT -5)

I don't play CS, but I remember there was a lot of grumbling from the CS crowd when it went source. A game with that much of a hardcore following is never going to like change. I love the way Havoc physics work in other games, gives everything you do a real sense of feedback, makes everything less wooden.

But, hey, I'm a Valve fanboy. :D

Oh and @Lost_One. I thought that too, then I found a website listing all his appearances...there are A LOT. They are just so sneaky now that, well, it just seems like he's not around much in Ep2.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/23/2007 at 16:35 (GMT -5) by Hendar23]
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4815 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 03:09 (GMT -5)

I'm getting the orange box (and UT3) for christmas. Having not played half life 1 is there anything I should know before starting half life 2. As for blizzard they do make great games, cant wait for sc2, but they killed diablo 2 by not preventing hacks. Hate getting shot by a skill balanced for melee.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4248 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 05:37 (GMT -5)

I keep meaning to play all of Half-life, but it's yet another great game series to catch up on. Plus I'm not much of an FPS fan (though I like the sounds of some of the puzzles and stuff the HL games use).

I have (thank the lord) had the joy of playing Portal when a friend was over for the weekend. Amazing game, very fun, with a brilliantly original and hilarious ending. I thankfully know enough of the HL universe that the Black Mesa references didn't go over my head.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3125 days, 22 hours, 9 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 18, 2007 at 16:19 (GMT -5)

Narcolepcy, I guess you didn't play Diablo 1 then. Where the honorable people used infinite belt instead of unending life, capped their hacked swords stats at 255-255 +255% and spells at 20th level, not 5000th level. ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4815 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

Only played d1 single player, loved d2 pvp on ladder a few years ago when there werent as many hacks, now everyone uses them and the pvp sucks. I guess its an old game but it still sucks. So ya does halflife 2 catch you up with the story?

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: