Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / various random ideas

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

5663 days, 5 hours, 53 minutes and 5 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2002 at 22:07 (GMT -5)

just a few ideas i've come up with that would put an interesting change into the game...

New Classes:

Miner: just that. a dude with a pickaxe. comes with mining, gemology, and a few other skills. as they get higher levels they become able to do their job more efficiently (6: faster digging, 12: more chance to find ore, 18: more chance to find gems, 25? (unsure of when abilitys come after this, higest level i've ever reached was 18): axes don't break as much, 36?: even faster digging, 40?: double carrying capacity, 50: needs 1/2 food).

...and some class that is good at learning weapons, but only if the skills are close to the lowes skill he has (so they can generalize easily, and end up with several masterys easier than other classes).

Regarding Skills:

Alchemy: IMHO some scrolls should have recipies for additional potions on them, so you can make mroe than just the 10 that are automatic. would make alchemy a much mroe useful skill IMHO.

Bridge Building: IMO call Carpentry, and allow at higher levels for otehr things to be build using it (i.e. start making doors, then at ~50 making bridges, and at ~90 making walls [which could be hacked/kicked/burned/melted/blasted/etc. down, alhtough it would be harder to kick down than a door. much harder.] which could, if made while in a wilderness square (i.e. for a combat), be built into a house where you could store stuff etc. maybe a quest revolving around this (i.e. make person X a house in the Y, etc)? also you can build bridges in the wilderness, but can't place them (water is to big). IMO building bridges in wilderness should take more logs, but be placeable. for that matter when doing bridge building you should decide where to put the bridge, and *then* you would make it.

Mysticism: allows you to (sometimes) recharge wands, but abuses MA stat heavily no matter if it succeds or not.

I had some other idea stuff, can't remember them now. oh well.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Law
Registered user
Lv. 50 Junk Collector.

Last page view:

8125 days, 15 hours, 32 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2002 at 22:32 (GMT -5)

I am all for the alchemy idea. However, the rest of your ideas do not appeal to me too much... especially the miner class. =/

What was once in your pocket, is now in mine.

Its not an addiction, its a job.
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 2 hours, 33 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, January 21, 2002 at 22:45 (GMT -5)

Yeah-- "miner" is almost the same as a generic dwarf, with mining, metallurgy, and gemology skills.

Alchemy scrolls should be pretty rare, and you shouldn't be able to wish for them specifically (as in "scroll of alchemy", generally, versus "scroll of potion of Cure Poison")--or maybe they should be random.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 at 02:39 (GMT -5)

well, the miner was more of a specialized kind of dwarf. besides, pickaxes are pretty rare IMO. it was aimed more to appeal to gnomes, who would be able to mine out a level, get lots of gems, and sac em all.
oh well.
and the thing about bridge building; selecting where to put the bridge before, rather than after, making the segment was more about continuity than anything else; if you make them and *then* place them, wouldn't you then be able to make them somewhere else and sell them, or carry them to where you want them?

i rememberd what the other one was:

Smithing: simalar to the current alchemy deal (every 10 pts gets a new recipie) except that every 10 pts you learn how to make a (random) metal item. mainly weapons, but also shields and armor. nd once you get your 10 you don't get ne more (well maybe you do, but buy the way from another smith i.e. Glod). unless you already can make items w/ the smithing skill--i haven't playde around w/ it much (my weaponsmiths and dwarfs never last long enough). 'course, bigger weapons would need more ore, so if you wanted to make a 2HS you'd need 4 or 5 metal ingots, but if you wanted to make a short sword you'd only need 2 or 3.

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

21 hours, 32 minutes and 21 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 at 13:13 (GMT -5)

I think Thomas already have his own idea about the Miner class. IIRC he said somewhere (commenting on all the "wierd" class ideas he get) that Miners where the only thing he will consider to add at some point.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
stevehz01
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 at 20:56 (GMT -5)

IMHO um you you described a weapomsm DW
um that type of ch would be more of a pain....
if you look at the tables, the skills you spoke of are avalible in the game
develope your god and play him/her, dont ask to change the game because its too hard.....
i like hurthling wizzards, top that
<G>
pickpocket is SO overlooked, and spellcasting is shallow if you find a cool weapon in the SMC
time to cast will come
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 05:22 (GMT -5)

While we're RFEing i had a few ideas for races...
(i'm no bad with names so you can make them up yourself)

Race A. Aquatic race - must drink potions of water or wear amulet of air breating outside of water. Will suffocate if the underwater caverns are left without water/amulet. Starts in an underwater cave. Cannot eat foods larger then 30s (from eating plankton). Extremely slow travel in the wilderness. Breathes water. Returns to the caverns to finish the game.
Make good spellcasters but bad fighters.

Race B. Lithovore race (for those who play master of orion 2) - ie. they eat rocks and live off rocks. This makes them extremely strong and tough. No intelligence disadvantages (race b spellcasters are ok) but dex, charisma and strong appearance disadvantages.

But in return are unable to eat food - corpses and the like. (infact they don't recognize food as food and never see a corpse, however living wall and wall beast corpses might be interesting).
They can chew through most walls.
Fire immunity granted at level 25.
High leveling costs. Die of old age easily. Using survival skill when bloated generates rocks.
Start out with high thrown rocks.
Shunned by all other races - all shop prices are rediculous (like dark elves + dwarftown).
Kicking walls can possible cause earthquakes.

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7777 days, 15 hours, 51 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 08:14 (GMT -5)

Dont think TB would like your idea.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8038 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 08:21 (GMT -5)

kinda weird...hurthing wizard sounds kinda neat though. i started an elf thief a while back and it's going good. haven't got the ankh yet though, not much on pickpocketing.
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, January 24, 2002 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

heres some monster ideas that i came up w/ last night. one is just a replacement for an already existing monster's description... this is direct copy-paste from a WPD file. mayhaps they could become a new selectable race: price disadvantage, spellcasting/social stats low, but don't need much XP to level up, always start with a lizard pet (bards would get 2), small physical stat bonus.

&#65279;Lizard Man

This strange race of beings combine features of both lizards and humans. While their skin is
scaly, much like a lizards, and their heads are very reptilian, they are otherwise human in
appearance. Despite similarities in appearance, Drakelings deny any relation to them. They are a
rather primitive race, and virtually all Lizard Man weapons is stone or wooden. They also lack a
centralized society, and most of them are nomadic, perhaps due to the fact that it is hard to build a town in a swamp, where they live, but perhaps due to their weak social skills. This lack of centralized society leads to much infighting, as well as them hating almost all members of most other races.

[NOTE: just general run-of-the-mill lizard man that we already know and love.]
---------------------------
Lizard Man Shaman

Very few Lizard Men have the talent required for magic, and those few that do usually gain their
abilities through sacrifices to their god, and have only rudimentary casting ability. Be careful
though; they are much stronger than mages of other races.

[NOTE: some small spellcasting spells, about equal to that of a kobold shaman. but they are tough and strong (compared to kobold shamans, that is. ogre magi are much stronger and tougher).]
Lizard Captain

One of the gifts the Lizard Man god granted them with ages ago was a friendship with all forms
of lizards. Often lizards accompany war bands, and the lizards even suffer to be used as a mount
for the more powerful Lizard Men. Lizard Men who attains this level of skill, known as Lizard
Captains, are extremely rare, and those that do are given special powers over others, akin to the
powers of nobles of other races. They are given stronger weapons than those of common Lizard
Men, sometimes even enchanted by a Shaman. They are also often lead attacks on rival villages
or on trespassers of other races.

[NOTE: tougher and stronger than normal Lizard Men, and only rarely generated in dungeons. hits 2-4 times (attacks with a weapon + attacks by their mount), are faster than normal, and have a higer-than-normal tendancy to drop ego items. also when killed chance that the mount would survive and a lizard of some kind would be generated at the captain's location. otherwise the mount was killed too, and has a chance to generate a corpse with the captain's.]

also all of these would be more likely to drop weapons, although weapons dropped by normal lizard men would be usually below-average stone weapons.

ivan.sourceforge.net
adomer2
Registered user

Last page view:

8038 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, January 25, 2002 at 06:38 (GMT -5)

that's a lot of lizards. i think the skills list is adom's way of providing all the "cool things" that make you a special fighter, or wizard or whatever. so instead of having more classes added just add more skills to fine tune certain class/race combos. maybe you could choose 5 skills from a list of skills not the same as the list that comes with your characters.
Jack
Registered user

Last page view:

7818 days, 17 hours, 28 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

If new classes could be thought of, why not new items?
Heres wat i think of"
-scrolls of increase missiles accuracy
-scrolls of polymorph?
-penetrating arrows/bolts of death?
-returning darts of death?
-boots of free movement [able to go through the wall and to swim in the water]
-eternium [any type of weapon] of destruction
-tiny dark elven quarrels of ? slayings

Couldn't think of anymore.
Maybe all the classes should be given more powers and Level up to 60?/70?

" Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty." -Albert Einstein
Locke
Registered user
Treasure hunter

Last page view:

7899 days, 1 hour, 15 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 16, 2002 at 06:08 (GMT -5)

Returning darts of death... Ouch if you fail to catch 'em properly... ;)

Locke Cole
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5830 days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 01:27 (GMT -5)

The earth elemental hits you. Your boots of free movement are destroyed. For a fraction of a second you realise that matter cannot exist in the same place at the same time. You die...

spell "Reveal/Divine Vision" roughly same cost as divine digger.
maps all staircases, doors, forges and altars on the level. Not pools, bee hives, ants nests their too small to be seen. (be very useful for descending infinite dungeon and minotaur maze)

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 at 03:45 (GMT -5)

not to mention SMC

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 22, 2002 at 02:43 (GMT -5)

got a couple more ideas; also i did more on the Miner idea... lemme know what u think.

Alchemist: Alchemists are highly sought-for by many people for their skills. These people make a living (and, if nessasary, a killing) by mixing various magical potions and herbs to make other potions and herbs. Many people are capable of preforming alchemy, but Alchemists specialize in it, and are capable of creating more kinds of potions than others. Some highly experienced Alchemists even know how to create golemns from various materiels, and all Alchemists are given some form of golemn as a gift from their mentor for completing their apprenticship. All Alchemists are, at least to a certain degree, spellcasters, and are also capable of defending themselves physically, although their true strength lies in the many potions they are capable of concocting.

Alchemists are trained in the following skills: Alchemy, Concentration, Find Weakness, Gardening, Gemology, Herbalism, Healing, Literacy.

As they gain experience, Alchemists become much more proficient in their craft. At level 6 they become much more adept at applying the Alchemy skill, and are able to neutralize experiments before they explode. At level 12 they learn three additional random alchemical recipies. At level 18 they learn the recipie for a potion that, when thrown, explodes in a giant fireball. These gernades must, however, be thrown within thirty minutes of their mixing or they will explode. At level 25 they learn 3 more random recipies. (At level 36 they learn to choose which herbs they pick off of bushes.)(At level 36, they learn to use various gemstones to substitute for herbs in alchemical experiments.) Once they reach level 40, Alchemists learn the recipie for a potion that, when poured on a substance and combined with the appropriate materiels (forge, metal ingots and hammer for metals, pickaxe and a stone wall for stone, logs and axe for wood, multiple corpses and scalpal for flesh, many bones for bone) and an expenditure of mana, will create a golemn. These golemns are controled through the will of their master; thus, a determined Alchemist will have greater luck commanding his slaves. Finally, at level 50, Alchemists learn three more recipies: one that will make a wepon dipped in it burn for 12 hours, one that will create a gernade similar to the level 18 gernade, except it will spew acid rather than fire, and one that creates a very potent acidic substance that can eat through flesh, stone, and is even capable of causing damage to creatures that are immune to acid. This third potion has a significantly lower explosive radius.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miner: Miners are a fairly self-explanitary class. The adventure into caves, where they dig deep into the stone in search of veins of metal and valuables to sell (or use). Often they can get good prices for these items. Most miners are strong and tough from their constant digging and needing to protect themselves from the various dangers of the underground.

Miners are trained in the following skills: Alertness, Athletics, Apprasing, Gemology, Haggling, Mining.

Miners fine tune their skills as they gain in experience. At level 6 they are capable of digging through stone twice as fast as others. At level 12 their pickaxes break 1/2 as often. Starting at level 18, they gain an additional +2d6 hits per level, due to toughing out the many hostile situations of the caves. Miners higher than level 25 are much more likely to find useful items (gems, crystals, gold, ore) when mining. They can also tell when digging a location is likely to wake a stone giant before the fact. At level 36, they gain a one-time +5 Strength due to carrying large amounts of stone, ore, and gems, as well as digging constantly. Strenght and Toughness increases also come more often after this point. At level 40, Miners recieve much better offers in stores for stone, gems, and ore. Once they reach level 50, Miners become capable of sustaining themselves through the small amounts of magic stored in gems.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half-Elf: Elves rarely interact with other races, but when they do, it is most commonly either Gnomes, with whom they are not compatable, or Humans. Thus, Half-Elves are rare. They are half Human and half High Elf (the other races of Elf dispise - and are dispised in turn by - humans too much to ever produce offspring with one), and inherit both the advantages and weaknesses of both. They have the beauty of Elves, the determination of Humans, and are shunned by both. Elves shun them because they are half Human, Humans shun them because they are half Elven. Thus they are forced to survive off their wits and what they can find. They also inherited the frailty of Elvenkind; however this is somewhat softened by what they have of Human blood.

Half-Elves are trained in the following skills: Alertness, Concentration, Herbalism, Survival, Two Weapon Combat, Woodcraft.

[this was all copy-paste right out of a .txt file; might look a bit weird.]

ivan.sourceforge.net
Portrait
Duke Ravage
Registered user
Gravebane Zombie

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

another idea, not as big as that last big fat monster that i made last time, this time for a monster: Wandering Merchants, only found in wilderness encounters, always friendly when you meet them. 'C'hat with them and they offer to sell you some of their wares, after which you're shown a list of equiptment (like an inventory) and you can choose what you want and pay for it on the spot. some could be specialized, some generalized. stuff doesn't come pre-ID'd though.

ivan.sourceforge.net

are any of my ideas good?
Yes  No
Check results

Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7762 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

And wat about quickling? Did you ever wants play how quickling?
Small and delicate humanoid race. Low strenght and toughtnes, with high DV, low PV, great speed and high dexterity. Female quickling have a special poisonous atack. They train in following skilles alertnes, find weaknes, dodge, survival, archery.
Quickling have a fast regeneration, high level of starvation (fast metabolism), but their can bloated when eat one blessed large ration. Little organizm;) Quickling have skilled dagers and knives level 2, crosbows level 2, and female quickling have also unarmed fighting (level 1) with poisonous atack. Their train also speed, +d6 on level speed. Started value of speed is 150. Quickling can enter to quickling level without coruption (this coruption can be inverted: Quickling is very fat weight *2 and -6DV;) and second weight *10;)) In quickling level, all quickling are for him neutral, and quickling king and queen asign for him some quests:)

Quickling weaponsmith must have a very light anvil.

Classes... Hmmm I have some idea to upgread necromancer class. Maybe finally special power of necromancer woud be a transformation into Lich. This is posible only when you are champion of chaos, and you are killed, or transformation for a special wish of PC.
Lich are immune to special undeads atack. He can regeneration his hit points *ONLY* with shadow touch, he haven't starvation status, he haven't a metabolism;) He is immune to poison (metabolism;)) immune to ice, high vulnerable to fire, he is always surronded by unholy aura.. He have common knowledge about some (non fire) spells. All nonundeads creatures are hostaile or afraid of him.

"Cute dog critically hits you. You are stunned by force of atack. You stagering, You loose blood! You are drowning! You stagering. Yo die...
You are extremaly aproximate to mistery of death and live. You suddenly recognize your life goal. Do you want transformate to Lich? (y/n)"

Ore something like that;)

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/12/2002 at 15:54 (GMT -5) by BM]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

Playing as a Lich sounds like a really tough game...

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
BM
Registered user
The Necromancer

Last page view:

7762 days, 18 hours, 46 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 at 16:18 (GMT -5)

Yeap but transform into Lich would be a special necromancer power on 50 level. Finally and completly understending all sicrets and mistery of life and death

"Insect, we care not for thee. Disturb us any we will extingwish thy weak candle of life"
Mindstorm
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, March 25, 2002 at 07:20 (GMT -5)

What about class named artificer? He should be able with aid of smithing to create and upgrade magic jewelry using gems as ingots. Class powers - creating golem slaves, more powerful kinds with xp from appropriate materials. Starting with that class draws aligment slightly toward chaotic and creating golems does it too.
FEILOS
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, July 24, 2002 at 15:55 (GMT -5)

Hey do you learn metallurgy?
I got a necro...just want to learn because I got an anvil and want to forge...
any help? besides wishing....
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, July 25, 2002 at 01:02 (GMT -5)

Wishing is about the only way, unless you get lucky with a scroll of education.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Portrait
Ryan Klein
Registered user
Because I said so is why!

Last page view:

1655 days, 7 hours, 38 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 07:43 (GMT -5)

I heard that biskup is actually implementing a miner class (among others)

Portrait
Jek
Registered user
the Mindless

Last page view:

6078 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, September 19, 2002 at 09:34 (GMT -5)

Potions of Education

differently yours

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: