Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Fallout

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

Ok, so as everyone probably knows, Fallout and Fallout 2 are the best games ever made.

What do you think about Fallout 3? Oblivion with guns? Is that a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know, I haven't played Oblivion.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 2 hours, 55 minutes and 47 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 at 15:23 (GMT -5)

We'll see.
It certainly won't have the charm that Fallout 1&2 had. Simple graphics cannot be beaten by 3D and light effects.
Maybe it'll be fun, like Painkiller.
Maybe it'll suck like Quake 3 single player. ;P

A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 02:46 (GMT -5)

Bethseda have stated that they want to keep the look and feel of the original, as well as the action point based combat. Of course I doubt they'll really stick to that - too many modern RPGs are dumbed down for the console tards (Oblivion being an example of an RPG that's simply click to kill - it may have an interesting skill system, but the actual combat interface is ridiculously basic). I feel fairly confident that they can create a good story and setting for the game, and keep true to the original's dark humour, but I'm obviously worried about combat being far too FPS-like.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 03:33 (GMT -5)

I wouldn't mind the Fps-like combat, Deus Ex was (and still is) a fun game.
But if it doesn't have the action point system, which hinders any character with Agility less then 9, it's not Fallout anymore ;)
A realist sees a train.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 13:03 (GMT -5)

I want combat that involves thought and planning, not knee-jerk reactions or button mashing. Whilst FPSes can benefit from RPG elements (Deus Ex and System Shock being good examples), I don't think RPGs benefit from control systems that reduce their complexity. This is of course why I love ADOM so much - complexity galore, with a huge wealth of commands, options and abilities at your disposal.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 4 hours, 58 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 14:07 (GMT -5)

I fully agree with Darren Grey.. Adom rocks because of its complexity!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 2 hours, 20 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 15:11 (GMT -5)

I read that it will have a portable mini-nuke launcher as a weapon. That doesn't seem very... fallout? Shotguns, rifles, ok maybe a plasma rifle, but mini-nukes? What the hell...

FPS-style combat might be okay, at least it will have targetable body parts :) It doesn't have to be an isometric game, as long as the setting is nice and post-apocalyptic. The teaser trailer looked promising, a wrecked Washington DC might be nice change of scenery from the west coast to the east coast.

Another bad thing is that bethseda might not put children in the game :( In some interview, when asked about it, they answered with: "Do you really want to be able to kill children?"

Well, DUH! Of course I want to be able to kill children! I want to hit them in the groin with a sledgehammer and poke their eyes with a cattle-prod! I want to place plastic explosives in their pants with the steal skill and watch them explode! I want to stick them full of Jet and watch them OD and choke on their vomit!

I'm just afraid that the world is even more stupidly Politically Correct than ten years ago. That and the fact that the game will obviously have better graphics. It's bad enough to kill children, but it's even worse with photorealistic graphics and ragdoll physics for the corpses.

I'll probably downl...*cough* buy the game anyway, just because it's (supposed to be) Fallout. I'll need to buy a new computer for that, though, or maybe a ps3/xbox.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 at 15:35 (GMT -5)

Yeah, the part where you really know the game and can start an evil sociopath is nice. Really challanging, but fun.
Bounty hunters can be a pain ;)

A realist sees a train.
BrasilianWeirdVideos
Registered user
pron knight

Last page view:

5170 days, 4 hours, 58 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

I agree with Maelstorm!

Fuck politically correctness :(

Fallout 1 and 2 are my favourite games (after Adom!).
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

3 days, 11 hours, 9 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 17:03 (GMT -5)

Judging by the gameplay movies they have released it's looking quite good. Yes is seems to be a lot more run and gun than previous fallout games (except that Xbox one, Brooderhood of steel or some such), but there are (effective) melee weapons it seems, and you can still make skill based targetd shots at critical areas (head, eyes, cpu or whatever based on the enemy).

There also seems to be plenty of oppotunity to play the "psyco", from placing live grenades on people to taking on quests to nuke an entire city... Though can't say how the game would react if you just start shooting everyone in sigh. Hopefully none of that nonsense with endlesly re-spawning enforcer NPC's like in Baldurs Gate and such...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Nezur
Registered user

Last page view:

5440 days, 7 hours, 50 minutes and 18 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 14, 2008 at 17:46 (GMT -5)

Children and story-wise important NPCs will be invulnerable in Fallout 3. If you attempt to harm a child the whole city will turn on you.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 at 05:30 (GMT -5)

I don't mind not being able to kill children, but making story important NPCs immune is a bit bad - the original games had ways of dealing with this.

Was watching the gameplay previews last night and I was indeed impressed. They seem to have captured the spirit and atmosphere of the originals well. Not sure how good the overall story will be, but it looks like a fun enough game. I imagine I'll be playing entirely in 3rd person view and making constant use of the targetting thing - I can't stand FPSes.

Now looking at putting together a system to play it on - I guess a Core 2 Quad and Radeon HD 4850 should cut the mustard for a cheap enough price.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 at 06:03 (GMT -5)

Yeah I'm no fan of the "invulnerable quest NPC" trick either, IMHO it's a cheap cop out from finding creative ways to advance the plot even if the player is "dumb" enough to kill important characters.

Well as long as they don't do anyting like in Deus Ex where at one point you HAVE to get "killed" to advance the plot. I hated that part in what was otherwise an impressively open game, I mean what is your first reaction when you start to loose in a game like this? Allow yourself to die or load the game and try again? Right I kept loading and trying in different ways, eventualy managed to kill everyting except the invulnerable agent before I realised that I could in fact not defeat him or evade him and that I was in fact expected to get shot down... Shesh, this is what you have cutscenes for people...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/15/2008 at 06:15 (GMT -5) by Jan Erik]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 1 hour, 48 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 at 16:10 (GMT -5)

Jan: But wasn't it fun figuring out how to kill everybody?

Heh, as I recall, in Baldur's Gate, if you killed a critical NPC, "Bill The understudy" would come on screen to voice that character's lines. A bit of a cop-out, but amusingly clever.

Dying is one path to a new chapter in Planescape: Torment. I though it fit in very well (You learn early on that your character regenerates after death)
Nezur
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 at 16:55 (GMT -5)

Fortunately the number of invulnerable NPCs will actually be small.

Here's my source: Bethesda Forums - Fan Interview #2

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/15/2008 at 16:58 (GMT -5) by Nezur]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 15, 2008 at 20:32 (GMT -5)

Well that's nice to know. Some of the other stuff on that interview is interesting too. I just hope the game isn't too FPSy and plays okay in third person using the VATS system constantly...

Just bought a bunch of computer parts online in preparation. Should be able to enjoy some snazzy graphics from the game at least :) And if it's no fun... well... at least ADOM will run a little faster, heh.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 16:57 (GMT -5)

"Children and story-wise important NPCs will be invulnerable in Fallout 3. If you attempt to harm a child the whole city will turn on you. "

So are children "Invulnerable" or can I just kill them along with the rest of the city?
I want to have the option burn every single NPC in the world with a flamethrower, just like I did in Fallout 1 and 2. If "3" won't give me the freedom of doing what the hell I want, it's not Fallout.
A realist sees a train.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 19:22 (GMT -5)

Children will run away if attacked, unharmed, and adults nearby will turn hostile. Vital NPCs (of which there are supposedly only a handful) will be knocked unconcious for a while instead of killed, which is similar to the Oblivion system. Not complete freedom, but close enough for my books - I have zero interest in killing kids.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 16, 2008 at 20:17 (GMT -5)

> - I have zero interest in killing kids.

> Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper,
> mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer
> dwarven child corpse."
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 18, 2008 at 09:24 (GMT -5)

I have an intrest in killing every NPC in the game, every single one.
It was frustrating in Fallout 2, when the Den junkies kept respawning everytime I re-entered the Den. The twentieth time I finish the game, I want to be the ONLY living person. Everyone else was burned to ashes.
That's what makes a good game everlasting - freedom to do whatever you want. Make up challanges, play not to finish the way it was intended.
In fallout 2 the only "story important NPCs" were in your village, and the elder in the oil rig. Everyone else wasn't needed to finish the game, it just made it harder. That's the way it should be, not "you can't kill him, he'll tell you something".
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/18/2008 at 09:27 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Nezur
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 16:30 (GMT -5)

I'm with Maelstrom.

My character will be able to slaughter all kinds of powerful mutants but the marvellous human children will just be much too subtle for him.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 at 22:16 (GMT -5)

Well, for legal reasons it would be quite impossible anyway. The original two Fallout games managed to get away with it in certain areas due to older graphics and more relaxed laws (though here in Europe they had to replace the child models with adult models, which really made things look ridiculous). With modern graphics, tighter censorship and a more aware public it would be impossible to allow the player to murder children in the same way as any other character.

Have now built myself a computer capable of Crysis on max spec (which is a shit game by the way). Just have to wait for Fallout 3 now, heh.
Deyja
Registered user
Fate smiles

Last page view:

5689 days, 13 hours, 52 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 05:04 (GMT -5)

Have to say that I look forward to Fallout 3.
I am dying to get my hand on something new and interesting.
"It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 12:50 (GMT -5)

What do you mean "here in Europe"? What kind of mind-controling Europe do you live in?
Here in Europe I have two copies of both Fallout 1 and 2, all with the children sprites.
A realist sees a train.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 9/23/2008 at 12:50 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 10:46 (GMT -5)

Maelstrom: You probably have American copies.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 11:26 (GMT -5)

No I don't. I have copies with localized manuals, bought 400 meters from where I live.
A realist sees a train.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 19:41 (GMT -5)

The only way to see the children in the EU versions was with a patch to reenable the graphics. Your version must have come with said patch already installed somehow.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 05:24 (GMT -5)

My country has it's own game regualtions, that is none at all. We get uncensored games.
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

IIRC it's mostly Germany that has the overly hysterical regulations on game violence. Though I haven't rely kept up with whatever common rules the EU have been comming up with lately.

That said I do believe the English language version (UK) of at least Fallout 2 most widely distributed in Europe was without the kid sprites. I don't think the game would have been banned here with children in it though, but we just get the UK version for practical distribution reasons and it had them removed...

Think the kids where in Fallout 1 though, also Ultima 7 comes to mind where there is at least one encounter with hostile children. Those are older games with more primitive graphics though...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 11:45 (GMT -5)

That was an awful twist in Ultima VII.1 if you started messing around. If the castle turned against you, the babies attacked you.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: