Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Weapon balance in ADOM

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 3 pages long.
Go to page 1 2 3
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3120 days, 2 hours, 26 minutes and 22 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at 10:15 (GMT -5)

On a medieval fair they had a battle, or rather a series of simultaneous duels, between the local knight orders/recreation brotherhoods. Ofcourse, it wasn't accurate, but it was fun to watch and they didn't stop for injuries, even though a broken arm from a mace [shields don't stop those very well] was the worst one - it was still just a raised hand for saying "I give up".
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/23/2008 at 10:51 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
Creoth
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 02:03 (GMT -5)

I was brought up from an infant in martial arts. My father was a top student of his time under pete siringano, look 'im up. I can use pretty much anything under the sun other then a tri-staff or sai (learning... f'ckin ow). I literally have scars all over my body from a couple of my fellows beating the living shit out of each other daily with practice weapons. My chins break yours -.0 Spears win. For one, there are all kinds of ways to block with a spear one-handed. You simply can't lay a blade against your body for support like you can a spear. Anywyas, personally I would adjust all kinds of stuff on those bonuses. Like someone said though, it's a game. 300 is probably the closest to a real war assuming they're bodies never get tired. Real wars pretty much went one strike one kill an on from there. Blocking a full-force strike from a metal weapon with a metal weapon is simply limb numbing. It's why front-line men were pretty much on a suicide mission. Even if you were martial-doom, within a span of minutes of swinging that three/four pound sword around, you're spent. I could right half a book on this so excuse the choppiness. I think it made my point?
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5667 days, 1 hour, 51 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 08:05 (GMT -5)

Sorry, but do you really think people can take you seriously if you claim that 300 is realistic :D
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Creoth
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 13:34 (GMT -5)

As far as movies go? yeah that's as realistic as I have seen. If they were the best fighters on earth and got a brand new body every five minutes, that's about how it would go. Sorry, but do you really think I care if YOU take me seriously? Wow. Get a life off the internet.
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 at 14:23 (GMT -5)

Sorry, but do you really think we care what you think? Wow.
Cheers for spartans in leather briefs, red capes and no armour. Hope your reality is as fun in other aspects as well.
A realist sees a train.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4900 days, 9 hours, 14 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 at 00:00 (GMT -5)

A quick poll : )
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

Does anyone care what I think?
Yes  No
Check results

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/16/2008 at 00:01 (GMT -5) by gut]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4242 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes and 10 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 at 03:24 (GMT -5)

I don't care enough to vote ;)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 at 06:04 (GMT -5)

I can't be bothered to think about what I think ;P
A realist sees a train.
Spartanus
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 27, 2012 at 10:29 (GMT -5)

Hey,Spartan moon-shaped shields were designed exactly for using short spears and swords to thust over them while blocking enemys advantages. Roman gladius was a finesse weapon that was the ultimate reason why legions were so efficient.Thrust to throat,belly or groin was much easier with heavy but balanced gladius than with longer swords.It is true that great-swords have the reach advantage but against shield and gladius,or short spear that turned to actual disadvantage. As for breaking shields with heavy weapons-we have to remember that at the time the best weapon material was cast-iron or bronce as with the shields and armors.
Go to page 1 2 3

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: