Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Creationism and Original Sin

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 16 minutes and 53 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 17:26 (GMT -5)

Actually, I think creationism places the world at ~10,000 years old.

I'm not sure I follow what you are trying to say.

Are you saying that the literal biblical inerpretation is all Creationists will have left after (if) science proves that idea wrong? How will they have that left if it is proven wrong?

Or are you saying that that idea has already been proven wrong, so all the Creationists have left are their beliefs? I don't think evolution, let alone the Big Bang, has been proven. These are the generally accepted theories, but they still remain theories. How has Creationism been proven wrong?
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 14 hours, 39 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 at 22:37 (GMT -5)

Yep. It's anywhere from 6 to 10 thousand years, though there are some estimates at 50-60 thousand.

The Big Bang, evolution, and intelligent-design ideas will never be anything but theories (hypotheses, really, if you want to be picky about terms). That's because they're impossible to repeat and observe in a lab, and repeated experiment is the only way to declare something a "scientific law". Instead, scientists must consider evidence that makes one theory or another more likely to be true; and that's a fuzzier pursuit than "true" laboratory science.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 at 10:22 (GMT -5)

Heh, yes, the Big Bang would probably be difficult to recreate in a lab.

Still, I think they may one day prove early evolution -- Life from Chemicals.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/16/2002 at 10:24 (GMT -5) by Caladriel]
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7346 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 20:44 (GMT -5)

Science has proved nothing. By the end of his life, Darwin was so desparate for proof for evolution, that he stated that he was confident millions and millions of intermediate fossils would be found. It was in this he put his faith. We don't even have enough so-called "missing links" fossils to fill a coffin...and there have been so many hoaxes and false links that I am inclined to think none of them are true. Then you have the amazing lack of intermediate fossils of other animals. And if anyone tries to bring up that supposed "reptile-bird" I'm gonna throw up cause that was disproved long ago by evolutionists and creationists alike. Every fossil of any animal we've found appeals suddenly and quite complete in the fossil record. The geological rock column is not found in the correct order(or even near so) anywhere in the world. Evolution by vestigial organs and the like is impossible(there are no vestigial organs) Evolution by mutations is impossible(no "good" mutations have EVER been recorded) Evolution is impossible in and of itself. Do you realize that we have never, ever, recorded a gain in genetic information? We have seen it juggled, and we have seen genetic information lost, but we have NEVER seen new genetic information created randomly in an organism(unless perhaps it was sterile...I'm not sure about that one, but if it's sterile it doesn't matter)

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3758 days, 14 hours, 39 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 21:04 (GMT -5)

Eh... the geologic column...

Should I say this? It kind of tears down my own position... ah, whatever, for the sake of truth...

It's true that we never find a complete geologic column anywhere. However, fossils are usually "stratified"... that is, the ones at the top of the geologic column will usually be on top of fossils that are found at the bottom (e.g., chances are you'll find a fossilized horse above a fossilized frog above a fossilized seashell), and grouped according to types.

However, I don't think that proves evolution: There are huge gaps in the fossil record at any given location... "millions of years" with no record at all. They're called "unconformities"... which, of course, is a scientific way of saying "We don't know what the heck happened here." For that matter, there's the whole Cambrian Explosion thing (where you suddenly start finding fossils, after finding none at all), which is stacked right on top of the Great Unconformity, a world-wide erosional surface that I think marks where the Flood happened.

The Cambrian explosion is really a big hint that evolution isn't too great of a theory... especially since, when you look at the fossils, every single type of major body plan (e.g., vertebrate fish, cephalopods, insects, etc.)--there are about 40 of them--appear right after that boundary with no preliminaries whatsoever.

Die Gedanken sind Frei
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 18, 2002 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

Tekki: Have you ever seen the toes at the back end of Pythons? Personally, I consider those to be vestigial.

Personally, I think there is too much evidence to simply discount evolution. I actually happen to believe in evolution, but I readily concede that there is no proof of evolution.
Tekki
Registered user

Last page view:

7346 days, 23 hours, 40 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 19, 2002 at 22:42 (GMT -5)

Caladriel, those are for mating...if you have ever seen two python's mate(which unfortunately I have) you will see that it is used in effect to "tickle" the female into place...it is kind of interesting...in a very sick sort of way.

Thank you for that much...I have it when scientists assert it as fact...

You feel a surge of power. Suddenly your extraordinary carrying capacity fails you. You are crushed by the tons of luggage you are carrying. You die...

Go here when you are on the forum to chat about Adom! http://koti.mbnet.fi/adrakon/chat.shtml
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: