Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Pets

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 15:38 (GMT -5)

The learning of the char who though a pet had teleport was good. I don't think the trap teleporting a pet triggered the information but more a pet teleported near the char, except that I think this happened right after the pet walk on the trap.

Ha well, can't be perfect and cool feature.

The Giant Ant Queen just level up, interesting to quote the changes (with corrections):
Lv10 : DV 10, PV 11, Hits 46, Attacks 1, Dmg 11-25, Spd 91
Lv11 : DV 10, PV 12, Hits 50, Attacks 2, Dmg 11-25, Spd 91.

Apart get one more attack an some more Hits, it's very minimal changes. :-)

There are some other important stats not show (for them too the Greater Claw Bug was well setup, sure it's even better for the killing bug). It's the chance to hit and the speed to hit (initiative). For example if the Ant Queen is strong in practice for those 2 pets I use, even with only one attack the bear succeed more often and much more often thanks to the 3 attacks compared to only 1 the ant had.

A last characteristic for pets is how fast they go to attack, a sort of aggressive level. For that too the bear do better than the queen.

EDIT: I corrected the numbers of the Ant Queen which was injured the first time I quote them.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/26/2008 at 16:51 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

Noob: Yes I know I already noticed that and that's why the lowest damage value continue stick to low and average are wrong. For the max it should be just the best critical so *4 something near to max damages. And for animals you met often they are mixed with those of the pets, so better not look at them when you met a wild animal or you'll flee of terror! :-P
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, January 26, 2008 at 18:23 (GMT -5)

I'll going nuts with those pets stats. I won't correct numbers above but will just put the last I quoted :

The cave bear:
Lv10 : DV 23, PV 6, Hits 52(?), Attacks 3, Dmg 7-17, Spd 98
Lv11 : DV 23, PV 7, Hits 53, Attacks 4, Dmg 7-17, Spd 98

The giant ant queeen:
Lv10 : DV 10, PV 11, Hits 46(?), Attacks 1, Dmg 11-25, Spd 91.
Lv11 : DV 10, PV 12, Hits 65, Attacks 2, Dmg 11-25, Spd 91.

I'm not sure of the hits numbers at level 10, more particularly for the ant queen. So not sure anything can be said about level up. Perhaps there's a huge random for Hits gain at level up, more probably I didn't quote well at level 10.

Get exact numbers is also a problem when they are in fact around an average. So race comparison is tougher.

EDIT : For 2 giant ant warrior, each level 4, all stats show by the stethoscope are the same but the Hits, 18 for one and 23 for another. Hits are probably the only random thing, I hope this random can't go up to give only 1 Hits as it seems for the bear, perhaps I didn't quote well but so much random won't surprise me from this game.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 1/26/2008 at 18:32 (GMT -5) by Doalag]
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2008 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

About special pets tamed, a cave lion. What not special? Well except it has now 8 attacks at level 11.

Don't search for one like this, it's "unique"! :-P It should have 6 attacks but have 8. In fact in some other games I also got pets with not normal number of attacks, a large dog (4 instead of 2), a tiger (8 instead of 6), another lion (also 8).

The difference in my current game is that I have a stethoscope and took more cares of the level up.

My bet is that one bug, in fact the only one I quote involves this. This bug is a little weird, it's when the pet his highly hurt, becomes raged and starts attacks... itself!! The game detects the problem, save the game (with probably pet changes) then quit.

I'm not sure this bug is the cause but it's a good bet. That changes wasn't pure good thing because if the lion got 6 attacks instead of 3 (and then later 8 instead of 6) it also lost 2DV points.

About a critically injured pet, or a pet highly injured and still poisoned or bleeding, I think I found a nice sample trick, order it to wait. This will also avoid the bug above and will avoid many possible problems because of pet panic. I even suspect (not yet confirmed) that this could improve fight against poison, perhaps a little better regen.
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 19 hours, 50 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 06:44 (GMT -5)

Yeah, there's a bug in the game. When monsters are hurt and decide to "fight do the death in a blind rage!" they sometimes target themselves. Normally the monsters just attack and kill themselves, but seems like something weird happens if it's one of your pets that does this, making the game crash. When hostile monsters do it the game doesn't crash.

If you want, you can download an unofficial patch for adom here: http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/ which removes the feature in the game. This changes gameplay a bit, since monsters don't fight to the death in a blind rage at all, making wounded monsters a little less dangerous. Also remember it's UNOFFICIAL and NOT SUPPORTED IN ANY WAY, and also makes a couple of other changes to the game, but it's a choice. I use it.

Are you saying that if a pet is poisoned or bleeding and you order it to wait, the poison or bleeding doesn't have any effect? So poisoning and bleeding are only applied when your pet does something like moves or attacks, and if ordered to wait they do neither, and thus don't get hurt more?
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 15:47 (GMT -5)

J. I'm saying nothing about ordering your pet to wait when it is bleeding or poisoned, I just quoted that since I always order them wait in those critical states I don't only avoid pet panic and problems it can involves but also got pets surviving to poison when I was worry it was end.

Not that bleeding or poison stop effect when they wait but perhaps they regen faster. Both are very easy to know by using a stethoscope or looking carefully messages.

I'm almost sure you continue get messages from poisoning. I haven't check regen rates with stethoscope. Eventually have them wait slower poison effect.

Anyway, it's just a vague hypothesis I doubt it is true.

Your fix isn't for OSX so I won't be able to apply it, very sad, I will continue to get superpets how bad it is! :-P Just happened me right now with a giant ant queen. Well the game saved before quit I restored the game and could get the queen wait and restore a bit to avoid any panic. I wonder what superpower it has get! Anyway I should renamed it Superant.

Ruprecht
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 11:04 (GMT -5)

Hello everyone,
have anybody tried giant bee pets?
I'm thinking about starting bard to use self powered poison missiles :)
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3117 days, 20 hours, 25 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 01, 2008 at 14:00 (GMT -5)

How are you going to make them experianced enough to be able to hit enything being worth hitting? ;)
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2008 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

The giant bee queen isn't worse than common pets but I didn't make them survive that long, I tried 3 and only one reach level 13 before to die.

They have good Hits, probably around 45 at startup. It's weird, probably more hazard that I get more luck with the ant queen :

Giant bee queen starts with
DV 6 PV 6 Hits ~45 Atks 1 Dmg 4-14 Spd ~100 plus flying and poison.

And Giant ant queen starts with :
DV 4 PV 10 Hits ~45 Atks 1 Dmg 8-22 Spd ~100

All pets level up with a similar way so you get a good comparison, at least for know characteristics.

The +2DV certainly worth the +4PV, but both are low DV. The good health is a sort of compensation but doesn't work that well because pets regen too slowly. The poison is only a small advantage to keep the pet alive because it doesn't help kill very fast before the opponent reply more.

The GAQ get a good damage level that perhaps help me keep them alive. But that can be luck/bad luck too. That said, in the game "make the pet survive" for now only 2 succeed, giant ant queen and cave bear. And the cave bear is easier to manage because the GAQ has a too low DV.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: