Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / to-hit and to-damage,dv and pv

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

5887 days, 20 hours, 58 minutes and 46 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 00:24 (GMT -5)

I'm not an avid DNDer, so I don't know exactly what these do, but I'm really curious into the precise mechanics of ADOM.

I realize that when you get +2 bonus on to-hit, you have a better chance of hitting someone. But 'what' constitutes hitting people? What is the equation that weighs whether or not you hit someone? How does PV figure into this?

I believe that +2 to-damage means that you do 2 extra damage, in addition to your dice roll (ie. 3d6+2 might yield 7). How does strength figure into this equation? How does DV figure into this?
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3124 days, 8 hours, 32 minutes and 55 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 00:48 (GMT -5)

That system has nothing to do with D&D ;)
To hit someone you need a To-hit somewhere near his DV (+/- a random value which is... I have no idea. Something.)

To damage someone you need to hit him and PV is substracted from any damage you might do.
Hence you can hit someone but don't manage to harm him.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 02:50 (GMT -5)

Mmk, so you think that hitting requires:

(To_hit+random(x)>DV)
*random(x) is a number 0-x

Where does dex fit into that equation? In the manual, it says that it helps you score hits as well as dodge attacks.

And damage is
[dice roll]-PV

but where does strength fit into that?
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/18/2008 at 02:59 (GMT -5) by addjenius]
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5398 days, 12 hours, 17 minutes and 29 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 04:02 (GMT -5)

DV: Defensive value - Your chance to evade physical attacks regarding enemy +To Hit value. Affecting factors are Dexterity, Dodge skill (Alertness?), Weapon skills, Equipment.

PV: Protective value - Lessens your damage taken value done physically. You gain this by equipment and some talents.

+To Hit: Your chance to hit enemy with weapon regarding enemy DV. Affecting factors are Weapon skills, Equipment (Umm. maybe Strenght/Dexterity as well).

+To Damage: Increases damage done physically. Affecting factors: Weapon sills, Equipment, Strenght.

"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4606 days, 3 hours, 8 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 06:15 (GMT -5)

Strength adds I'd guess maybe +1 to hit and +1 to damage for every two or three points of the stat for melee attacks. An easy way to test this is to take a character with the fire orb (+10 strength) and check his hit/damage bonuses with and without the orb in the tool slot.

Dexterity probably adds around +1 to hit every 4 points for melee weapons, and a bit more for missile weapons. I know as your dexterity increases you get an extra point of DV at certain intervals.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4246 days, 13 hours, 3 minutes and 43 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 11:51 (GMT -5)

Toughness can also increase your PV after you get it into the 20s. Characters with high starting toughness thus have a bit of an advantage. Dexterity will also increase the damage you do with missile attacks. There's no tables out there that I'm aware of that show exactly what influence the stats have - it's just something you notice as you manage to increase them.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, February 18, 2008 at 21:50 (GMT -5)

Thanks all ^^
that helps alot
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com
Portrait
addjenius
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 04:07 (GMT -5)

While reading the manual (again), I noticed that it said this:

STRENGTH...influences your chance to hit opponents in melee combat

while DEXTERITY makes no mention of it at all [but places more emphasis on dodging and ranged], so I guess that whatever applies for STRENGTH in melee, applies for DEX in ranged combat.

I hope that this is true, so I can get back to going pure-strength Drawves again [without having to look at dex]
Everyone beware..
Blog Robert!!!
addjenius.deviantart.com

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/19/2008 at 05:24 (GMT -5) by addjenius]
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5671 days, 7 hours, 58 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 17:51 (GMT -5)

Damage calculation is pretty straightforward, WYSIWYG: damage on you char screen - monster PV = damage done. Criticals (in melee) are x2.

As for Dx improving chances to-hit and dodge attacks: I think it's already calculated into the values displayed on your screen as DV and to-hit, so there's no further bonus. Same for St and damage.

The to-hit/DV system is something I've never quite understood myself either.

Also, I think whips use Dx instead of St for damage calculation.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4904 days, 15 hours, 20 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 22:29 (GMT -5)

Whips get damage from speed I know. I'm not
sure about dexterity though.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5148 days, 18 hours, 58 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 10:13 (GMT -5)

Remember that levelling up adds +to-hit as well, which is one of reasons why high-levelled characters kill monsters more easily later on. If you don't hit 'em you can't hurt em.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: