Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / damnnnn

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

B_C_
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 01:29 (GMT -5)

Wow this sucks I just lost my 1st really serious PC. Went to darkforge to get a wish - had tons of castings of teleport but no control. got into pool room, got my wish got the AoLS but i stayed around to get tele control too - ended up getting cursed, unlucky got stunned by a water elemental walked into water and drowned....Was it my own fault for staying around after I got the wish? I almost needed teleport control to get out cuz my lightning bolts at power level 9 couldn't connect on the steel golems. acid ball was working on them but i was running out of pp and got teleportitis from a pool...this game is pretty damn hard, ive been playing on and off for almost a year and this character was by far my best
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 3 hours and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 02:09 (GMT -5)

For the future, a handy tip about stunning,
is to set your tactics to coward, and clean
your 'E'ars. This keeps you from stumbling
around, especially useful for places like the
Tomb of the High Kings, where a mis-step can
kill you in one turn.

Teleport control can be obtained more easily
from eating a blink dog corpse. The ID is a
good place to find one. Just stair climb,
between levels (I prefer levels 6 and 7) until
one appears. Remember to name the original one,
and don't kill him. Wait for him to summon more,
and kill them instead, you will get a corpse soon.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 43 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 03:46 (GMT -5)

I normally try to avoid drinking from pools unless I have a ring of teleport control - having teleportisis without control is infuriating (and obviously quite dangerous).

As well as cleaning your ears, other things like trying to pickpocket or applying first aid will stop you stumbling when stunned or confused. If you were that low on HP the water elemental might've killed you anyway though. Bad luck on what happened, but hopefully you'll be more prepared next time (only to die at some other later point - alas, such is the way...)
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jhonka
Registered user
Kickass player

Last page view:

5357 days, 42 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 16:23 (GMT -5)

Some things to cool you down.

I lost ridiculously powerful archer to game crash, when I accidentally hit "windows" button(i play the game with dosbox, no full screen othervice) );

But my all time stupid deaths have beeen
3. Trying to melee doppelganger king with 50lvl mindcrafter(DUMB! i could have canned it with a single gtb)
2. Going through a dark room when cursed and doomed(just bad luck with 41 lvl assassin)

1. The greatest of all, the grande finale and the high peak of stupidity:
I started to change armor in smc WHILE I WAS BEING ATTACKED BY GREATER MOLOCH. The level of stupidity in that goes far deeper than it might seem. First it's quite stupid action in it self, second the game warned me when moloch attacked for the first time, third i did not die from the first two attacks. Yes, i hit 'y'es for 2 times WHILE BEING ATTACKED BY GREATER MOLOCH IN SMC.

So "bad luck" is not only for those of lesser experience from adom.

my grammar sucks, but bear with me!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 19 hours, 37 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 17:37 (GMT -5)

Jhonka, that last one is BAD! :D What. The. Fuck. were you thinking? :D
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/19/2008 at 17:37 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5708 days, 17 hours and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 19:49 (GMT -5)

I generally avoid pools, although if it is my first pool I will probaley take two drinks, and get all of those insintricts from corpses.

Though death ray resistance is one I always try to get, but only if the pool is close to some altar.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 43 minutes and 13 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at 21:32 (GMT -5)

Oh man... I thought I've done some stupid things before, but Jhonka, you're crazy :P

I've accidentally closed the window before on a char about to dive to D50. That was painful. Most recent stupid death was facing a great white wyrm and thinking "It's okay, I have a ring of cold resistance on" and proceeding to shoot arrows at it. when he hit me with a breath attack for over half my hp I thought "that's weird" but fire again, only to die to his next brath attack. Turns out I wasn't wearing that ring of cold resistance like I thought :(
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2008 at 06:47 (GMT -5)

Jhonka dude I am killing myself with laughter. Your number one is beautiful. I mean really, awesome.

As for number two, I had a less than lucky instant death in the water temple with a pretty decent looking wizard once - I knew I was doomed, and took out all the lower denizens in the light, but thought I would just turn the lights out long enough to avoid the snakes corrupting attacks. Snake advances, I cast darkness. the first step I try to take after casting, killed by the grue. 1/1000 chance? Well there you go.

Ever since then, I have taken the darkness message a lot more seriously.
MrNiceguy
Registered user

Last page view:

5545 days, 18 hours, 32 minutes and 19 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 16:48 (GMT -5)

Jhonka: You say you play in DosBox - I assume under Windows? If so, you can make the standard DOS window run fullscreen by pressing Alt-Enter. The Windows key won't cause any problems that way.

Speaking of Stupid Deaths, though, I just had one myself a couple of days ago. Very promising Troll Monk - Level in the low 20's, I think, (trolls level up so slowly) Level 14 mastery of polearms, was lucky enough to find Wyrmlance shortly after the water temple. Ran into a tension room of Frost Giant Jarls. My strength was still fairly low (for a troll) so I was working on making the kills with a cudgel of hunting so I could eat the corpses to train strength. BOOM! Critical hit knocks me into single-digit HP. I had several PoEH and PoUH, but my thought is, "Get outta there!" and I cast Teleport.

Forgot I was on the Cat Lord's level. Not much else to say.

Really ticked about that one. I had a lot of really nice equipment and some very handy spells.
Redundancy is good.
And also good.
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 3 hours and 10 minutes ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 08:18 (GMT -5)

Jhonka you succeed make works the game with Dosbox? I tried a little and didn't obtain anything. Well now it seems there's a version on my os working nicely but I'm curious to know how you make it works.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

Typically, I had never experienced any computer crash problems with the WinBeta4 version of ADOM at all, ever, UNTIL POSTING TO THIS THREAD.

Then, just yesterday, I lost a pretty damn fine Level 21 orcish barb who was just looking for a blanket to protect his wand of paralysation before heading on up to the ToEF, Khelly saved, AoLS around his neck, feeling pretty good about himself, but pissed off at Thrundarr, who decided not to award him with any blankets at all for some strange reason, so I'm fighting away in one of the cavernous levels of the ToHK, I find a RoDS, but don;t want to waste it on a fireproof blanket, then ADOM just dies on me. NO more orc :(

Guess I will start backing up my save games every now and then <sigh>
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 3 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Friday, February 22, 2008 at 11:18 (GMT -5)

LOL cough well sorry for laughing! The OSX beta3 is very stable once the game is launched but I saw few crash (2 if I remember well), it's weird to see game quit and no savegame back. I didn't suffer a lot of them because I backup but both time it happened when I played very well and got the most marvelous drops. Not sure it's hazard or game author evil spirit!
random guy
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, July 14, 2009 at 19:44 (GMT -5)

had an archer who might of had a wining chance. lost his flash drive.
Sgnappa
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 at 11:28 (GMT -5)

Guys, My Orc Barbarian once dies because he being paralyzed while attacking a white jelly (or something similar). But he do not dies by enemies attacks: he was also ill, so dies.

Exactly "chocked on his own vomit while paralyzed..."
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4487 days, 19 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, August 09, 2009 at 15:07 (GMT -5)

I run this game on Windows ME, and have never had a crash. There was a bug that i though made the game crash, but for some reason it autosaved. I dont remember the details. All of these crashes i keep reading about make me nervous for when i finally get a new CPU!
jsr
Registered user

Last page view:

4522 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 at 05:52 (GMT -5)

Well, here is my recent stupid death. Had a very promising level 20 human mindcrafter, with St over 20; Wi, Dx and To over 30 (tedious herb training + potions) and finally tolerable Ma - over 25 (bookcasting the Frost Bolt spell helped to raise it this high). He did the Water Temple and the Darkforge with an ease and was just about to enter the ToEF, but I've decided to take on the TotHK first. Now guess how exactly did my life end, hehe. I came to the tomb level, dropped most of my equipment in the corner _to_avoid_ice_bridge_destruction_, frozen some water, opened the door and retreated back to the coast. Skeletal King followed me. Poor bastard died in two hits of blessed quarrels of undead slaying from my heavy crossbow. "Take that!" - I said. "OK, now let's go pick up the ring... No, wait, I need to pick up the rest my equipment first." Well, ice cracked under my heavy load, and all my ~280HP were lost in a single turn. God, why am I such an idiot?
Oh my, I'm so lonely and need some company
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3178 days, 14 hours, 6 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 at 14:32 (GMT -5)

Heh, tough lesson there.

Since you're a mindcrafter, no need to over-bookcast frost bolt to train mana (except to make bridges).

Your mana will be trained far more efficiently using your own unlimited mindcraft powers.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 43 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, August 14, 2009 at 15:36 (GMT -5)

Mindcraft does not train Mana. For this reason mindcrafters are often stuck with far less PP than they would like.
Molach
Registered user
Lord of DurisMud

Last page view:

5142 days, 6 hours, 37 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 at 14:25 (GMT -5)

They do get a class power that adds PP, probably because of this. So I guess book-casting really sort of is an exploit...they were never really meant to cast spells, just use mindcraft.

Exploit is -foo- of wonder + finding corresponding book of that spell.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3178 days, 14 hours, 6 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 at 22:17 (GMT -5)

I didn't know about mindcraft not training mana.

I wouldn't consider bookcasting an exploit.
Dragon doubling, piety overflow, kick robbing shops are all exploits because they are utilizing a bug in the code, which if fixed, would not function.
Bookcasting, herbs, smithing, gremlin bombs, banshee lumberjacks, pots of blindness, stair-hopping, etc. might be considered scumming by some, but definitely not exploits.

Casting spells doesn't utilize any bug.
Contrary to the belief of some, bookcasting does not train mana any faster than casting from memory or walking into one of those rooms that drains all your power.
Most methods of using your power points will train your mana equally well (wand of far slaying does not iirc).
Mindcrafters, elementalists, farmers, beastfighters, and barbarians all have a hidden penalty with spellbooks, but they can all read spellbooks and cast spells.
I don't believe those classes were meant to never cast spells, it's simply harder for them to learn, just like it's harder for a wizard to get weapon skill ranks.
There's an inherant danger from reading spells when your not good at it, of losing stats, causing explosions, etc.
Drinking a pot of wonder bypasses some of those dangers for a random spell, but is nowhere near as efficient as reading a book, getting real castings and effectivity, etc.
If you can brave those dangers and get spell points anyway, then by all means, cast away.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 01:40 (GMT -5)

Well, there's exploiting a bug and exploiting the system, I think the guy that scummed a mindcrafter to bookcast wish was exploiting the system a little ;) Nothing wrong with that for those that enjoy the tedium though.

With regards to bookcasting, it's generally considered the best way to train Mana because it uses more power points at once, and because it doesn't eat up spell knowledge. However if you have plenty of castings of a spell then it's better to cast it regularly, since that will train the spell proficiency too.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5195 days, 7 hours, 40 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, October 23, 2009 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

Mana can be trained by Spellcasting, Druid Summoning, Necromancy, Avoiding undiscovered traps, and that is seriously about the entire list. Just lowering PP will train Concentration, but no such luck for Mana. As for casting directly vs Book casting, either is just fine, though if you're strictly just sitting around training Mana then book-casting is likely the way to go (unless you have some many charges to spare that the small increase to spell level would be worthwhile).

There are of course a handful of other ways to raise it directly, which includes: corpses, getting crowned for Chaos, using the Mana Orb, Potions, Wishes, and Pools.

----

Mindcrafters are designed to be awful spellcasters. The only thing worse than a Mindcrafter (of any race) at spellcasting in general is a Troll Barbarian, though to be fair that is before you factor in appropriate skills and the Learning stat, both of which Mindcrafters will probably be better in than any Troll. Mindcrafters and Trolls are specifically set to be awful at learning spells (Note that this doesn't really stack, so Troll Mindcrafters are not even worse off). The other classes Ashen listed aren't at all in the same class of 'bad spellcaster' as Mindcrafters/Trolls are.

I wouldn't really consider that much of an exploit though. It's on the relatively low end of ADOM scumming options, which are numerous. It doesn't even come remotely close to a Gremlin Bomb for example, which is just flat out ridiculous. And really, I'd consider the fact that Mindcrafting doesn't train Mana whatsoever to be a flaw, something that could be added amoung numerous other minor tweaks in the theoretical partially-open-source ADOM 1.2.0.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/26/2009 at 07:04 (GMT -5) by Twinge]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, October 25, 2009 at 17:55 (GMT -5)

Do elementalist and beastfighter summons train Mana? Not that they're worth using, but the manual implies that the Ma used will restore itself.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 07:24 (GMT -5)

Yes -- I had never looked too thoroughly at the summoning stuff and didn't think about it (and to be honest I've almost never used any summoning and hardly any Necromancy in game). Looks like the same section is used to summon for all class powers, not just druids.

As with Necromancy, you get enough training that you'll probably get your Mana back, but it isn't guaranteed, and will be less likely the higher your Mana is (and more likely if you augment it with other Mana training, like casting spells).

It also may be significantly less likely if you summon anything requiring a cost of more than 1 Mana; I'd need to re-check exactly how training works in-game to say with certainty, since it's been a long time since I last played with it. (If it works how I am currently thinking it does, it would arguably be a bug, but I might be wrong here - been a while as I said.)
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, October 30, 2009 at 07:03 (GMT -5)

Druid summoning: you'll probably get your Mana back; possibility you won't, but also possible you'll get 2 back.

Elementalist summoning: you're spending 2 and you're only going to get 1 back.

Beastfighter summoning: you lose TWO Mana, not one! Lame! And you're only going to get 1 back, too. At least it's 3d3 animals, unlike the 2d2 listed... huh. Has everyone always just ignored this power? Seems odd I've never heard of it as a bug...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, October 31, 2009 at 05:47 (GMT -5)

Absolutely everyone has always always ignored that power. Not that Beasties have any use for their mana stat, but the idea of getting a few bears and wolves to help you out after you've already beaten the Tower is just laughable. I suppose in a tough spot they could be used to swarm the cat lord whilst you make a hasty escape. In fact, that would be fun to do for the hell of it.

Hmm, can someone with a high level beastfighter make a demo of summoning pets on the kitty king or some other powerful enemy? Would be hilarious to see how quickly they're slaughtered.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: