Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Killer bug pets.

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 2 hours and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 at 19:35 (GMT -5)

I have experimented a bit with taming the BUGWIL.
My current PC is a dark elven bard. He has tamed
more than a dozen greater bugs, and 3 killer bugs.
I lead the GB's out to the wilderness, I'm (99%)
sure that you can only tame 3 pets at one time,
on that level. Currently he is exp. level 1, and
has made no kills yet. The PC gave up the 'treasure
hunter' line of talents, to get the 7LB's. I thought
that many players might like to experiment with some
killer bug pets in the early game. so I posted the
save file on hyperfileshare. It's 132 K.
Killer bug pets

Have fun slaying anything you fancy.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/17/2008 at 19:37 (GMT -5) by gut]
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3756 days, 8 hours, 27 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 at 19:40 (GMT -5)

Cool :)

Some guy won a Pacifist victory using killer bugs, with the only kill being Andy himself. I think he did a description of it on rgra.
Die Gedanken sind Frei
Subconscious
Registered user
Adventurer of the Human Mind

Last page view:

5391 days, 22 hours, 57 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 02:24 (GMT -5)

I did that once. Just that despite I had very powerfull pet, I was very weak myself (GE if I remember correctly).
I perished somewhere near Dwarven Halls or Animated Forest.

Server of these forums seems to be down quite often.
"The white baby dragon equips the small shield." WTF :D
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 23 hours, 43 minutes and 40 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 06:34 (GMT -5)

Yeah, Trinity the level 1 hurthling bard got a regular chaos god ending killing only Andy thanks to a killer bug pet. Details are here.

What version is that save file for, gut?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 11:31 (GMT -5)

> Server of these forums seems to be down quite often.

Seems to me that it's only 'down' for a few
miniuts at a time though. I've also noticed that
whenever it's finished being 'down' it has
refreshed the 'logged in' names at the top of
the screen . I have adopted the habit of CTRL-C
before hitting 'submit'.

> What version is that save file for, gut?

Winbeta 4. I remembered to put that on the DL link
page, but forgot it here.

I have personally taken one of the KB's straight
to DF from the BUGWIL. It had no problem clearing
DF, but I have very little experience commanding
pets around, so that gets me killed a lot.
Starting to wonder if Dark elf was the best choice
for this : ) There is one thing I didn't know
about when I saved the game, the PC's hunger
status is just about on 'hungry'. He does have
spider bread and two prayers though, and also
a KB corpse, if you want to eat that.

Yes I am save scumming this PC, I have no
intention of reporting a victory with him, just
playing around. I did not save scum to tame the
BUGWIL though, the PC has only the one save
on his record.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:19 (GMT -5)

Yeah, dark elf is quite a poor choice with their low charisma. You would have been better off with a drakeling I imagine - the extra music training at the start helps take them initially, and they have average charisma (gnomes and hurthlings are the only races with above average Ch).
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4697 days, 18 hours, 5 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:31 (GMT -5)

My goodness, how could trinity go through all of that, and _not_ go for an ultimate ending? She did everything required except for the moloch emperor!

She leaves the question: Where would Filk appear if she had not yet killed any monsters?
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4697 days, 18 hours, 5 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 12:44 (GMT -5)

Wait a second . . . I thought Andy was only worth a single experience point. If she only killed him, how come her experience points are 87?
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 2 hours, 10 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 19:02 (GMT -5)

Yes on any level I tried you can tame only 3 pets but you can bring as many you want once they are already tamed.

I don't think CH is so important for playing with pets. For a bard I haven't noticed change of the taming efficiency with the level of CH. For a priest taming is much less efficient and much more slow but I think there's also a small improvement with a relatively high CH but nothing very significant.

For giving orders to pets there's a small but clear improvement with CH increase. With a priest CH 24 I continue to get small series of order failure but it's much more rare than at CH 12/15. Orders is useful during fights but CH is only a small point for pet management. At this point despite priest don't have pets that never leave unlike bards and farmers, I feel them much better to manage pets that aren't temporary pets.

I'd say that any magic you can have/use is much more important. Other important points is defense and long range fighting to manage vortex if your pets cannot survive to vortex explosion.

Three priests races starts with a musical instrument, High Elf, Grey Elf and Hurthling. Starting with low Music skill isn't a real problem, you just need find few foods and spend one day or two to play music with some animals around. Succeed calm them and make them friendly is enough to train. Few level up to raise Music around 50/60 will be enough to tame some pets with few patience. Greater bugs and killer bug are certainly a bit tough to tame and will probably require a Music close to 100. The spell calm monster can be very useful for the taming process and I suspect that bless or healing can helps a little.

Using more than one pet is really helpful to make easier to keep alive your character. But this will slow you down and experience points with be shared between 2 pets or more.

About greater bugs I noticed that even when they are tamed, like claw bugs they can duplicate. Sometimes you could not want it. :-)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 at 19:11 (GMT -5)

xp was 87 from disarming a trap (you get a few points from that). You need to be level 45 to get the Filk quest, so that would be quite unattainable (unless you disarmed one hell of a lot of traps), making ultra impossible.
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 07:50 (GMT -5)

He he, training a bard to level 45 with traps would indeed be the be all and end all of dullness personified.

Need your cup born gnome to visit every single heavily trapped area in the game, and scum for the you shudder message in the ID - not even sure if you get trap rooms there -, charge and drain all your trap creation wands, and still struggle to get enough XP to enter minotaur maze, where you might manage to gain 0.01 of a level or something...

Your corruption level after Day 10,000 might be hard to manage too, without a wish engine...

And of course, all the time your pets are wandering around these heavily trapped areas setting them off, getting killed, draining spear traps, attacking one another, etc.

Thats not a challenge game, its a stupid boring nightmare.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 08:13 (GMT -5)

Well, say 80 xp from one trap. Gnome bard born in Cup needs around 8 million to get to level 45. So that's 100,000 traps to disarm. The best way really would be to set up a wish engine somehow and create a cycle of chained key commands to keep recharging trap creation wands and disarming traps, with food breaks every now and then. And after that extreme effort the game would probably crash when getting the Filk quest :P
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 24 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 08:27 (GMT -5)

I never made a wish engine sadly... Would wishing for water and wands of trap creation directly be best, or wishing for booze / mana potions?

I can't honestly imagine anyone wanting to do it, but still kinda curious....

Does the XP you get depend on danger level of the trap dungeon? I would guess not, so you could pacify corruption low level and do your wish engine / XP scum there I suppose.

Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4807 days, 53 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 20:24 (GMT -5)

Wishing for water, while by an alter, and scrolls of recharging would be fastest. I defy anyone to accomplish such a feat. I know I have gotten 40 some exp for traps before so there must be a variable in there somewhere.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 21:29 (GMT -5)

I think it's possible that there are other ways
to get exp. points. I have recieved level ups
before, even when no monsters were anywhere near
me. It's rare though, you have to walk around
while lacking only ~15 exp. points for a level up,
to notice it.

EDIT:
Also, if bees suicide attack you, you get points
for that too. I don't think that would be of any
help though.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/19/2008 at 21:30 (GMT -5) by gut]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 at 14:44 (GMT -5)

Bees count in your kill list that way, I think. And random xp gathering is most likely from monsters setting off door taps (you get xp and kill list from that - very annoying when cats are included). As far as I'm aware there's no other method of getting xp without anything on your kill list than trap disarming.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: