Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Cute Puppy! I choose you!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Dalavita
Registered user
Knight fanatic

Last page view:

5877 days, 15 hours and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 13:27 (GMT -5)

So here's the deal. Lately I've had this obsession that I want to make the tiny girl happy no matter what, so I always do the puppy cave and aim at getting the puppy out alive.

Added to this, I try to always kill the raider lord as well. I know it's not a must, nor is the puppy, and that they go against survivalistic playstyle you need to win in adom, but that's my obsession. It's not a shift+Q if I can't get the raider lord, but I want to at least save the puppy.

It complicates things further when I'm usually playing a weak earlygame character like an assassin.

I usually get killed by the ants, or the cavernous level before the puppy cave, going down and up again while trying to avoid getting above level 5.

I want your tips on how to get to the bottom level before day 4 (damn time limit, things would be so much easier without you) and get out alive and maybe even manage to get the raider lord. If I'm lucky sometimes, I can poison my throwing daggers, get a good hit on the raider lord at level 1, kill him that way and proceed. That clears one obstacle. All the others remain.

My usual playstyle is Terinyo > Grab all quests > Outlaw camp, grab pick pocket, first kill, check store > SMC to generate monsters and straight to the PC.

Thanks for the advice.
Everyone should be judged individually. No matter the race, social status, beliefs etc.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2008 at 13:28 (GMT -5) by Dalavita]
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

5772 days, 13 hours, 2 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 13:48 (GMT -5)

Skip outlaw camp and smc to save time. The risk of missing good 'arcane mumbling' items in outlaw due to entering it later is close to zero. Smc can be done easily later with a potion of invisibility thats pretty common, or anything else that gives invisibility.

Scum the levels of PC to gain som levels if you have problems with fighting on the last level, skip the ants.

Remember that pick pocket+detect traps can be gained as neutral also.

Got no real tips for raider lord as I have practically never done that quest.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 14:02 (GMT -5)

With an assassin I have no idea how is this possible, but that's relatively easy with : Any bards, a priest who is High elf, Gray elf or Hurthling.

All of them starts with a music instrument and have Music skill.Then taming for pets but even more during fights makes easy your first goal, the puppy.

Even for priests that start with low music it's fine. Terinyo => Take only the puppy quest
=> Learn Spells if you have books
=> Buy some foods if you can and not be more than burdened
=> Let your starting pet in Terinyo if you want be sure to keep it alive
=> Puppy cave => Close to entrance plays music as hell in coward mode to tame some animals around or at least clam them down and make them friendly, take care of your food.
=> Once you tame something progress and let the pet kill and try tame more
=> With a priest it's important at this point to mix a lot of music play and some level up and focus on skill training of music to raise it above 50
=> At ant level play music as hell but take care when the Giant Ant queen is out to succeed tame it, she will be a good help further. After it's not tough, it's mostly playing music let animals fight for you, pets do killing and tame more when needed.
=> At puppy level enter, check companions to see if it is in the list and alive. Then exit you'll come take it back much later.

For the second part, the raider lord, it's tougher, Not using pet is certainly better to avoid pet killing it and fail the quest. So your risk will be to level up above the limit or even be killed during the fight if you didn't found the right stuff to help you.
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 14:14 (GMT -5)

He is completely set on assassin so help with other professions is not needed, I know him and I know how he is :P
Doalag
Registered user

Last page view:

5851 days, 13 hours, 49 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 14:18 (GMT -5)

And I don't care! :-p
Dalavita
Registered user
Knight fanatic

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 14:43 (GMT -5)

I'm not 100% set on assassins. I usually differ between 4-5 different classes, assassins are the ones having problems tho. If I'm playing a barbarian and ants are blocking the entrance true berserking the ants usually does the trick. Assassins, I just need to hope for extreme amount of luck i.e second level stairs down is close to the stairs up etc.
Everyone should be judged individually. No matter the race, social status, beliefs etc.
Timpen
Registered user
za za zaa za zaa

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 15:14 (GMT -5)

You shouldn't need much luck at all. Just run away from the ants maybe bring 1 of them with you to the next level.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 18:20 (GMT -5)

> I want your tips on how to get to the bottom
> level before day 4

> My usual playstyle is Terinyo > Grab all
> quests > Outlaw camp, grab pick pocket, first
> kill, check store > SMC to generate monsters
> and straight to the PC.

Well, it would be quite a challenge to do things
in that order, and still get the job done. Walking
in wilderness squares really eats up game time. My
reccomendation is to do the PC straight away. If
things are done efficiently, you can save the puppy,
and still come out as a low level PC.

Remember, if your HP's drop to 1/3 of their full
value, you get a 33% bonus to your energy movement,
if your tactics are set to coward. This will allow
you to outrun all the monsters you meet. There are
still the dangers of: getting trapped in a narrow
tunnel between ants, vortex explosions, and hidden
traps, so there are no guarantees. I do beleive
the extra speed can make a difference though. You
can decrease your HP's as much as you like by
kicking the air.

The low HP's advantage can be mixed with exploiting
the ants. Let them dig many rocks for you. Once
inside the dungeon, time doesn't pass nearly as
quickly as it does in the wilderness. Let the ants
dig a while, then as they burrow into the room you
are in, begin picking up some of the available
rocks. You can lead them down the stairs, one at
a time, and use your speed bonus to get some
distance. Switch tactics to berserk, and fire away.
Missile skills train 2x faster than melee skills,
so you will soon be dealing major damage with rocks.
This should see you through to PC:6.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Dalavita
Registered user
Knight fanatic

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 18:44 (GMT -5)

Well, not considering waiting for the ants to dig in.

I usually have enough time to get down to the puppy cave after doing all that. I pretty much always make it before two days or at the third day if I decide to try to get a lucky raider lord group encounter by running around the plains a bit.

The big problem is getting stuck between ants in narrow corridors, or a wererat/werejackal/blind dog appearing in the cavernous level, on the way up and down. And sometimes that damn puppy gets itself killed before I can even reach it.

I had forgotten about the movement speed increase thing at coward setting. I shall put that to good use. So far the characters in Raven make it to the puppy the most often, so speed is probably the most important factor other than getting unlucky with the stairs down being right next to that damn ant hole.

The thing is. Assassins start with level 4 in thrown daggers and usually a stack of 4-5 daggers. This makes them excellent missile users in the beginning, usually able to two-shot the ant workers (warriors are the biggest problem), the main problem is running out of ammunition so I'm forced to run up and pick it up which I really can't afford to do at times with the ants.

Maybe I should unequip my main armor piece so I can pull true berserker as fast as possible and go for one-shotting the dangerous monsters when needed... It really is a challenge with tons of luck needed to successfully get the puppy saved and get the raider lord in one game.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/22/2008 at 18:48 (GMT -5) by Dalavita]
Dalavita
Registered user
Knight fanatic

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 19:46 (GMT -5)

Also, on a related note.

Is there any point in using daggers as long as you can as thrown missiles, or should I switch to bow/crossbow and ammo asap?
FantomFang
Registered user

Last page view:

5799 days, 21 hours, 53 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 23:00 (GMT -5)

This probably isn't what you want to do, but you could always get the puppy quest, but then skip it and try to get Kranach, and then eventually waste a wish on the puppy later on in the game. It might not be the proper thing to do (Godspeed, puppy #1), but at least you completed the primary objective of the quest. You made the little girl happy! And isn't that all that matters in the end? =P
Going for 2nd win
SirMason
Registered user
Paladin of the Shining Citadel

Last page view:

4746 days, 6 hours, 54 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 23:08 (GMT -5)

Ha. "Godspeed, puppy #1".
Kranach is almost always not worth it for me. If you want the gold for sacrificing, sacrificing monsters seems a lot more efficient in the early game. I usually spend a little time trying to see if I can find the unremarkable dungeon in the small cave, that usually puts on a few experience levels.
As far as the ants...they can't open doors. Shut 'em out of your life.
You pick up the Wand of Do Nothing.
'z'...
Nothing happens.
't'...
The Wand of Do Nothing misses the kestral. Come on, it's a Wand of Do Nothing!
Dalavita
Registered user
Knight fanatic

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 at 23:49 (GMT -5)

I hadn't even thought about closing the ants in with doors. Thanks.

Wasting a wish, meh. I'd rather just take the chance for it. At the moment I got a level 6 assassin that managed to find 7lb in PC level 3, heh. Needless to say, I managed to find the puppy and kill the raider lord. Lets hope this character gets somewhere now.

Still got the question about if it's viable to use daggers as throwing weapons throughout the game or if I should switch to bows/crossbows ASAP.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4898 days, 13 hours, 40 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 at 00:57 (GMT -5)

> Still got the question about if it's viable to
> use daggers as throwing weapons throughout the
> game or if I should switch to bows/crossbows

It is possible to use only thrown daggers for the
whole game, but it's really only for role-playing
reasons. Bows and crossbows are better. The
ammo is more plentiful, and daggers haven't the
'slaying' properties of arrows and quarrels.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 3/23/2008 at 00:57 (GMT -5) by gut]

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: