Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Precrowning - Sigh!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5435 days, 6 hours, 22 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 02:29 (GMT -5)

I have been playing ADOM for years, and I've never managed to get precrowned. I have a character right now that seems perfect - 14th level, has done puppy, kranach, and UD/HMV, and nothing else. As far as I can tell, there should be zero artifacts generated.

I got up to absolutely close using live sacs and stomafillia. I then waited, fought some monsters, and periodically made 1 gp sacs to check my piety. Invariably, I'd go from "absolutely" to "very", then try to sac up using small (20-30 gp) offerings. No matter how patient I am fine-tuning this, I just keep overshooting the mark.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
You pick up the worn boots.
Portrait
Morio
Registered user
Holy Champion of ADoM

Last page view:

3898 days, 9 hours, 28 minutes and 11 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 03:38 (GMT -5)

To get a pre-crowning you must not be of extreme alignment (C-, N=, L+), if you are, then you will get the 'absolutely close' -message and can get a regular crowning.
"I don't know what World War 3 will be fought with, but I know World War 4 with be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 13 hours, 29 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 06:45 (GMT -5)

Indeed. Nuetral altars are the worst for that.
Saccing can adjust your allignment, so if you are
at N-, and ready for a pre-crowning, that last
sac can bring you to N=. Sometimes the screen
doesn't redraw right away, so you still see your
allignment on the screen as N-. Praying then will
crown instead of pre-crown, and it's very unfair.
There is a command to make the screen re-draw,
but I forget it. I just use the @ key.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
J.
Registered user
You'll never get rid of me

Last page view:

5664 days, 6 hours, 6 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

You should probably sac a good amount of stoma to get high piety, well above the absolutely close limit, and then go attack a neutral thing or kill a beggar in the outlaw town. Then, when your alignment drops, you can get precrowned right there without any more saccing screwing your alignment as you'll still have enough piety.

With lvl 14, you could in theory get three precrownings, and after that sac some more and get crowned for yet another artifact. That would be incredibly boring though. A second precrowning might be reasonable though if your just patient enough. And after that getting enough piety for the actual crowning won't seem like much since it's less that what you had to work for when going for the second precrown.
If you're feeling happy, don't worry, it'll go away.

Originally posted by noob: "I'm everytime amazed how you people know to exploit every single little bug (or not-bug) for elaborated scumming tatics even if the feature seems completely useless or bad."

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 4/1/2008 at 07:59 (GMT -5) by J.]
Portrait
GiantFrog
Registered user
another gray elven wizard

Last page view:

5435 days, 6 hours, 22 minutes and 33 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 at 15:34 (GMT -5)

Yeah, I was N=. I wasn't aware of the alignment requirement.

Is there a way to check your piety level without sacrificing? I've tried "u"sing a holy symbol in the past (previous characters), and just get the message "you feel comfortable".
You pick up the worn boots.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: