Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / In-character YAVPs

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

5768 days, 23 hours, 49 minutes and 7 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2002 at 06:30 (GMT -5)

I was just wondering how anyone would go about writing an in-character YAVP for an ultimate ending. After all, in a typical ordinary win I'd do at most one out-of-character thing - wish for an AoLS and then carefully deposit it in the Old Barbarian's glade. (I know who I'm saving it for, but I don't see how my character could possibly know.)

In an ultimate ending, though (at least, the way I do it) you have to collect and stash several rare items long before anyone in the game has told you that they want them. (If that's unclear, I'm following Dougy's advice of not changing alignment till you have everything that the ratling and Gaab-Baay want.) Deliberately turning chaotic isn't very in-character either, unless you're going for UCG.

The worst problem of all has got to be choosing your first kill. I've taken to playing Human Healers and starting by leading a farmer, goodwife or child out of Terinyo and killing them. This is way out of character for my aspiring Avatars of Balance, and would be even worse for an Avatar of Order, but what else can you do when you're too weak to kill anything remotely tough? It just seems that even if a basically good character had been magically endowed with the knowledge of how to achieve an ultimate ending, they still wouldn't be so ruthless as to murder an innocent person in the service of their ambition to ascend.
BM
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, February 04, 2002 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

In ultimate ending very trouble is found AoLS. If you have it wishing, or just found, only one my PC have found it on low level. Changing of aligment is easy... You must giving him food or money, or cure monster:) You found or summon monster, sometimes you must calm one of them and just wait, when they fight, you heal one of them or everyone:) This is very laufull act... Change aligment to chaos is very easy for necro:))) I make undead, kill:)))) And eat:)))) Perpetum mobile of pure chaos:)))
First kill... Hessus... my actually pc have very stupid first kill, goblin:) But I hade chose betwein goblin and rat:) One of my pc killed about 400 rats... and I was only on 200 of infinity dungeon:) (I have screen from this place)
Portrait
Tha Messiah
Registered user
Angel of Death

Last page view:

7780 days, 16 hours, 16 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 at 10:41 (GMT -5)

Try killin beggars.My only UCG had beggar as a first kill.Never tried an ultra ending adter that.

THE MESSIAH,I'm here now,Worship me.
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5833 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 at 21:47 (GMT -5)

Argh! There's something following me into the forest *stab* oh it's just a farmer. *shed tear*

Hey that's one of those amulets of life saving i've heard so much about when i was young. Perhaps i'll keep it here with this nice fellow and take it with me when i go down the next cave.
(i had one load in the outlaw village shop once - however the char died early to 2 WMoPCs from traps that couldn't be sacrificed)

All of a sudden a enormous flux of chaos overwhelms me, and takes control. With my twin axes flailing wildly many innocents die needlessly, however a voice in my mind keeps telling me that i must complete these quests, it's my destiny. After shedding much innocent blood i feel great remorse and give much of my earnings to the needy and the gods of order.

OOC: What i'd think would be a tricky one is getting to nonnak in charactor. Unless you teleport away thrundarr. "Hey, what's that lever do?"

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 at 04:45 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the helpful reply, Dougy - you should put an in-character YAVP on the Hall of Fame next time you ascend.

For Nonnak, perhaps you could go down until you find the portal and then return to Thundarr and ask him about it. It's not what I'd normally do, but nor is teleporting away Thundarr.

What I meant about AoLS was that my character might plausibly wish for it, but would then surely wear it. Perhaps if she was aware of the possibility of it being destroyed by traps she would carry it and put it on only if she was about to die, or only take it into dangerous areas (but dangerous areas like the Pyramid are often full of traps too).

I, on the other hand, would stash it somewhere safe at the first opportunity and not pick it up again until I'm ready to give it to Khel. (Don't know whether everyone does this, but I'm paranoid about losing AoLS, as the very first time I met Khel I couldn't save him because the AoLS had been ripped to shreds by an exploding door.)

What about stashing the six sacrificable artifacts, giant boar skull and so forth before you know that anyone wants them? Is that also driven by a voice in your mind telling you that you will need these items if you are ever to defeat the Elder Chaos God?
BM
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 at 05:59 (GMT -5)

Aligment: One I have a big problem with change my aligment... My PC was high level necro C_ of korz;) And I naked only with lots of cash, stand on altar and sacriface, sacriface and sacriface 5$;) Many sacrifaces later;) When I was CN than suddenly appears white Unicorn, ofkorz hostile, ofkorz he ignores calms spell, music, and others, I cannot teleport him, I havent any undeads, and I canot kill him, beceause it's very chaotic act.. He atack me.... 500 hp... 400hp he kill cats, and some others monster who was calmed by me... And last when I have only 200 hp.. I'm weebing him and killing with Sting and Needle;) Ofkorz I trangesing some law:) Buuuu.... Oki But I change my aligment to NC.... But this is not all;) Later I was walk, ofkorz speedwalking:) Never but never use this options... It's very dungerous;) Fast, but... Usualy you will stab mimics:) Ahmmmm so I walking and suddenly I just see only that tex...
"Suddenly white unicorn apers... You stab white Unicorn, You stab and slay white unicorn" (Sting and Needle;))
Buuuuu My PC change aligment on C:) I don't bleive in that text, but white unicorn teleported in this same place when I walk... I don't see this unicorn, only kill him:)... At last when I thirth time change my aligmnet on neutral I get ToRR. And kill druid and hehehe Khelavester;)
I think that first are autopickup, next teleport and at last normal action... Maybe like that, I'm not sure.
In libbrary,I met cave tiger. And AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I atack him, one step to far;)
You stab cave tiger. You stab cave tiger. Ups he survive double stab by Sting and Needle... Ufffff:)))))) It was crazy pc;)
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

9 hours, 7 minutes and 36 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 at 22:00 (GMT -5)

Well about the in-character stuff...

You can always suppose that your character visited a local oracle or what not or had a visoin or dream of some sort before he set out on his quest, and just refeer to things like "the oracle had said I would need a AoLS to save Khel when I encountered him". The "Oracle" in this case beeng the spoily info you have aquired but that your character would not have reason to know.

Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Portrait
Dougy
Registered user
What is the deal with cards?

Last page view:

5833 days, 7 hours, 4 minutes and 44 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 at 23:31 (GMT -5)

Not wearing your AoLS until it's needed is like not wearing bike helmet until you get hit by a car.

If you know ur going to die, you pray, potions, teleport, spenseweed, water orb, you don't use up your AoLS.

Well there is logic in not wearing it, but i always wear mine. The chances of succeding in an ultra ending even after saving khelly is slim.

Oh and i've never ascended, i've done quite a few normal endings. Closest i got to ascending was about a week ago where the mad minstrel didn't give me his quest. And once in g16 i coudln't kill andor drakon fast enough and transformed into chaos being (mostly from inexperiance).

Oh and has anyone managed to kill keriax on day 61 ?

Adomer from Australia.

DougyDougy - Dougy - DougyDougy
Caladriel
Registered user

Last page view:

4700 days, 12 hours, 35 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2002 at 12:16 (GMT -5)

If you want to be more in character, you can keep the AOLS on you, but don't wear it, except when you see a situation that could threaten your life. Your character could understandably be aware of how easily worn items are damaged in dungeons, and thus decide to keep the AOLS packed away, except in emergencies.

My big out of character problem is that I deliberately avoid getting crowned, until I am ready to go for the ultimate endings.
Portrait
Ekaterin
Moderator on this forum

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 15, 2002 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

I finally ascended last night! Rowan, the Human Healer, killed Andor Drakon (by going berserk and beating on him with the Trident) and transformed into an Avatar of Balance. I'll put it on the Hall of Fame in due course (the laptop with ADOM is at home and I'll have to bring it into work), but I don't think I'll be able to make it into an in-character YAVP because I did too much evil stuff just to boost my chances of ascending. Not only did I lure an innocent farmer out of Terinyo and kill him, I did the black unicorn's quest because I preferred its reward, and zapped Sharad-Waador with a death ray just for the experience. (Thank you, Dougy, for that helpful tip.)

(Hmmm, this thread is getting kind of spoily. Jan, if you think it's gone too far, perhaps you could move it into the Spoilers forum.)

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 2/15/2002 at 06:54 (GMT -5) by Ekaterin]
Arion
Registered user

Last page view:

7898 days, 15 hours, 41 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 at 09:49 (GMT -5)

Check out Avatars section in gamma 14's HOF and read Khazad's story...

"No more shiny ones. Oh well, back to lurking I guesses."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: