Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / General / Wisdom

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

7938 days, 5 hours, 14 minutes and 9 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 at 09:23 (GMT -5)

Since many of you people seem to appreciate wisdom and stuff I'll distribute wise teachings on this thread where you can read them.

Sengoku
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 at 09:26 (GMT -5)

Keep your mind and body in the present where it belongs

Observing respiration is also the means for practicing right awareness. Our suffering stems from ignorance. We react because we do not know what we are doing, because we do not know the reality of ourselves. The mind spends most of the time lost in fantasies and illusions, reliving pleasant or unpleasant experiences and anticipating the future with eagerness or fear. While lost in such cravings or aversions, we are unaware of what is happening now, what we are doing now. Yet surely this moment, now, is the most important for us. We cannot live in the past; it is gone. Nor can we live in the future; it is forever beyond our grasp. We can live only in the present.

If we are unaware of our present actions, we are condemned to repeating the mistakes of the past and can never succeed in attaining our dreams for the future. But if we can develop the ability to be aware of the present moment, we can use the past as a guide for ordering our actions in the future, so that we may attain our goal.

Sengoku
Sengoku
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, February 08, 2002 at 04:24 (GMT -5)

Enlightenment

Most people think of enlightenment as a kind of magical attainment, a state of being close to perfection. At this level, one can perform amazing feats, see past and future lives of others, and tune in to the inner workings of the universe. This may be possible for a number of special beings, but for most of us enlightenment is much more in line with what Suzuki Roshi describes. It means having a quality of "beginningness," a fresh, simple, unsophisticated view of things. To have "beginner's mind" in how we approach things is a major teaching. In many ways, the process of enlightenment is clearing away the thoughts, beliefs, and ideas that cloud our ability to see things as they really are in their pristine form.

Sengoku
Vallak
Registered user
The Nightmare Elf

Last page view:

8078 days, 1 hour, 24 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2002 at 20:20 (GMT -5)

Sengoku, I don't think it's possible to have it explained better then you just did. Kudos. ::golf clap::

"But then I sigh, and with a piece of scripture,
Tell them that God bids us do good for evil.
And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With odd old ends stolen forth of holy writ,
And seem I a saint, when most I play the Devil."
-William Shakespeare, King Richard III
Portrait
Iridia
Moderator on this forum
YASD

Last page view:

3763 days, 19 hours, 29 minutes and 17 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 08, 2002 at 20:58 (GMT -5)

It seems like enlightenment would be (or at least partially be) a state of having no preconceived ideas or biases when viewing the world: To see everything as it truly is. Does that make any sense?
Die Gedanken sind Frei

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: