Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / A Guide to Bards

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

This thread is 2 pages long.
Go to page 1 2
MiHaiLoo
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 03:02 (GMT -5)

I think it's worth to try taming at least one green 'i' in Bug Temple at level 1 even if you haven't SLB. It's really easy, and helps a lot. Not necessary to tame every bug - just take one, that's enough in the beginning!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 18 hours, 15 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 10:53 (GMT -5)

That'll get half your chars killed straight away - not worth it! Better off doing some safe levelling first.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4149 days, 23 hours, 31 minutes and 52 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 11:59 (GMT -5)

i actually believe heir bard can do it at 80+% ratio.
A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 19:39 (GMT -5)

I believe heir bard can do it 100% if you're careful enough - you just have to make the right steps to avoid the first bug and stick near the top-left corner for easy escape without alerting any other bugs. However I still don't consider it an optimal start, and non-Heir bards shouldn't even bother. Roll-scumming bards for the right sign, stats and skills is very tedious work, and you shouldn't throw a lucky looking character away so quickly.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
MiHaiLoo
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 23:22 (GMT -5)

Yes. And while roll-scumming you'll get lots of 'wrong' bards who can go to the bug temple and try to tame the first bug.
[3 min later]
Just tried it. On second try (no SLB, of course), drakeling bard managed to calm down the first bug exactly when it came to eat him (had three rounds for it). Then leaved temple, stopped in wilderness and tamed the bug in safe circumstances.

...Got an idea. We can try to send our pet to bugs to 'lure' that first bug, can't we? Must be helpful in some cases.
MiHaiLoo
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, April 26, 2009 at 23:28 (GMT -5)

...That bug just killed Hotzenplotz and his guards. And ratling keyseller. And it was not even injured!
I don't know how, but Yergius managed to kill it then. What a pity...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 at 03:04 (GMT -5)

The bugs actually have very poor defence. If you want to use one seriously it's best to level it up carefully at first. ID is good for that - you can run away from any dangerous situation. Once you get a few levels into a greater claw bug it can one-hit-kill most things and has the DV and HP to withstand basic attacks. Still heals slow as feck though.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4897 days, 20 hours, 31 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 at 12:52 (GMT -5)

Killer bugs are destroyers-of-all-that-walk-the-face-of-Ancardia. It takes a bit more work to get one, but they are definitely worth the effort.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, April 27, 2009 at 19:22 (GMT -5)

A lot more work :P But yeah, they are quite a nice bit better, especially with their higher speed.
Mi Hai Loo
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 00:03 (GMT -5)

Quote: "The bugs actually have very poor defence"...
Are you sure? Can you call *this* "very poor"?

Killer bug: DV 50, PV 24

Compare to this:
Ancient Chaos Wyrm: DV 50, PV 20
Minotaur Emperor: DV 50, PV 35

Well, greater claw bugs (DV 30, PV 12) are somewhat weaker, but, still, compare to Hotz: DV 19, PV 9. And at that point of game his defences can'be called 'weak'. Also, compare to default shopkeeper: DV 16, PV 20.

Though, bugs' hp is quite low: 36 and 78 hp.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 at 10:20 (GMT -5)

I suppose very poor is an overstatement, and I was indeed thinking mostly of their HP. One lucky critical and they're out. It's important to not let them get surrounded early on.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4486 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 02, 2009 at 23:41 (GMT -5)

Tried it today w/ a Hurthling bard. I leveld up to 6 in holeinthewall and ID, w/ slb and music at 100 it took three to calm and 1 to tame, very easy.
koctyxa
Registered user

Last page view:

5468 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 07:18 (GMT -5)

Fairy dragon regenerates very fast, so it is not that fragile as one would think.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 12:41 (GMT -5)

Have you ever managed to keep one alive? :P It takes a lot of work I find...
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4928 days, 18 hours, 40 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, May 05, 2009 at 16:32 (GMT -5)

Back in the old newbie days, I used to try gray elven bards. Despite the fact that they are one of the most fragile combos one could think of (especially since back then I was playing with a later gamma of 0.9.9), I still played them eagerly, because I thought that with this fairy dragon (it was probably the "dragon" that made me think this), I was rather well protected, if maybe not foolproof, for some time. I still remember when, walking into Lawenilotehl with my second gray elven bard, my fairy dragon attacked an outlaw, who got rid of the critter in 1, maybe 2 turns. That's when I thought that fairy dragons aren't all that cracked up to be.

However, for the challenge "kill one of every monster", they would be a great candidate - would likely spare a wish for the otherwise really rare bastard.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
vogonpoet
Registered user

Last page view:

4957 days, 1 hour, 45 minutes and 45 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 03:30 (GMT -5)

Also: nice first kill for ultra aspirants who don't give a rats arse about courage, and who don't want to run the Lawenilothedeilietlabahwstupidname gauntlet
koctyxa
Registered user

Last page view:

5468 days, 23 hours, 17 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 06:37 (GMT -5)

To save fairy dragon you just have to switch places with it when severly injuried and command it to not run out of your sight after those teleported enemies. With a little training it's a decent, fast and unique companion.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4486 days, 17 hours, 51 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at 23:34 (GMT -5)

IMO, pets are annoying, too much waiting around if you have SLB. However, nothing finer than two or three Greater earth elementals on D:50. Its a nice novelty, but annoying, I prefer to just bash stuff.
B_C_
Registered user

Last page view:

5157 days, 13 hours, 14 minutes and 3 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, May 18, 2009 at 20:11 (GMT -5)

i just rolled an heir bard with godly starting skills. I checked my list and saw it went off the page and rubbed my hands together like 'heh.' Detect traps, find weakness, herbalism, smithing, swimming, concentration, pick pockets and gemology (he's a gnome.) Stats are good too. I'm really starting to understand how good this class can be.

Hopefully he doesn't die like my last promising bard. He walked into SMC at level 13 and "forgot" to walk downstairs. last thoughts: "gee this giant raccoon is hard to tame."
anon
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 20:32 (GMT -5)

Excellent guide, sir.

Re: Treasure Hunter. Would you say that Heir has priority over TH for 3-talent characters? It is very hard to generate a pc with 4 starting talents with a drakeling, dwarf, human, orc or troll. Hell, even with hurthlings and elves it requires the candle/falcon star sign. Also, is it best to take TH early or wait until XL9 or 12 and take early game survival talents before then? Hurthlings in particular should get tremendous benefit from early good shot/keen shot talents.

One thing I'd add to the smithing/mining sections is that the ants on PC2 are a highly effective mining crew. Tame as many as possible and you can run through a level with very little effort--get plenty of food, move to a "dead end" and then w5. The ants will quickly(in real time) tear through everything and generate tons of ore(and gems if you have gemology):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                 Screenshot

#####
   ######### #######                #.*.###   ##
   #[......# #.....#                ##*...####.#              ######
   #.....<.###..>..### ###    #######**.]*....###         ### #..*.#
   #......./......./.# #.######.##***....*.***..#    ### .#.###]..]##
   ############*####.###.*#..]]].....***..*.*]*.######.###***##*]..]########
             #...*.#.............................................[.........#
   ###########.#**.*.###]##**]....#.]**......**##]*.]*]]#]].......]........#
   #0........#**...*..*......*.]*#*..***.*...*..#.....#*.*.*.*]##.]#.......#
   #.........#..*]..]*..**.....****].]*..###]*#...#.###]..*.]]*#.**#.#######
   #.........#*.*..*.]....*#...#]].*.....#......^.....*#..]]]*#####..*#
   #..........*#..*]..*.**...]..*.***.*..*...............*.*..*####*/##
   #........./..^.a......................]........**.**.......#......##
   ############.##@..#**].]*#*#...]*]........................]........#
              ##.#a.]..]*.*.*]].*]......./.........../.........+.....*#
               ##.a*..].*]....**.*.*........................*].#.....##
                #*..*].].**]....#]....]].....................]*......#
                ##a]*#..*..*.]#####...*....].]....***......]*.].##*#*##
                 **.]##****.#.#   ####..*]]..]......]]..**..*.#.##..*.#
                ###### ########      ##################################
Farmer        St:18  Le:11  Wi:11  Dx:17  To:15  Ch:13  Ap:13  Ma:18  Pe:12 C
DV/PV: 20/11   H: 83(83)      P: 61(61)      Exp: 11/20797      PC: 2 Sp: 92
Satiated Burdened

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 21, 2009 at 07:46 (GMT -5)

Choosing TH or SLBs depends on player choice I guess. Personally I'd go with SLBs most of the time, since they do make such a fantastic difference in the early game. As for when to choose TH, there's generally little loss in leaving it off to level 9.

Ants are indeed great for mining out levels, though you do have to beware in case of crashes resulting from this.
Fiddler
Registered user

Last page view:

5188 days, 13 hours, 57 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, December 12, 2009 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

I just generated DE bard with 4 talents, entered SMC and on my way back to Terinyo over the hills ran into hill orc patrol. One of the crude spears thrown turned out to be frozen orcish spear of devastation (+1, 5d8+11).

Bards truly tend to find brilliant gear.
Narcolepcy
Registered user

Last page view:

4806 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes and 37 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 17:25 (GMT -5)

Regarding taking 7lbs or treasure hunter for low talent chars, I would most assuredly take treasure hunter on a drakeling. With a drakeling the entire early game is easily beaten just by stocking up on large rations and spitting at things, makes Hotz a cakewalk.

I am in the middle of a great game with a tree born drakeling that started with 2 talents. Didnt really care what my starsign or talents were as long as the skills were good.
Go to page 1 2

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: