Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Countering Lich Stat Drain

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

5461 days, 4 hours, 25 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

I'm planning to take on a Greater Vault full of
Greater Undead with my level 35 Monk. I've killed all but the central liches, but there are a lot of them. I've got double death ray resistance, along with some nice items (Nature's Companion, BoW, Wyrm-somethingorother polearm, RotMC). But I can't resist their stat drain, and I'm quite keen on my lovely stats. How do you suggest countering it?

My initial idea was to take a load of 'Boost' potions, as aside from improving my chances, the denigration might affect the temporary stat rather than the permament one. Is that right, or would I still lose permament stats?

After doing the Library, I do have Improved Fireball, but at 0 efficiacy, so I'm predicting being the target of a lot of stat-drain spells.
Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 14:16 (GMT -5)

Boost potions do work as far as I know, but with all those liches you may still have trouble. The only guaranteed thing is to keep your distance - they only stat-drain if you're next to them. Blessed arrows or quarrels of undead slaying make very short work of them without putting you in close quarters.

Another option is simply to avoid them. Is there any reason you need to clear that vault? Many people steer clear of greater undead vaults because they can be such a giant hassles.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 15:42 (GMT -5)

I'm lacking 7LBs or a scroll of danger, two things I really kind of need, but not urgently; being a Monk I can live without 7LBs - my speed is ridiculous, 200ish - and as for the scroll of danger, there's a chance I could get one in clearing out the BDC.

But it's a tempting prospect... All the lovely shinies... We'll see how it works out.
Knowledge is chimera, for beyond it ever lies other knowledge, and the incompleteness of what is known renders the knowing false.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 17 hours, 20 minutes and 56 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 16:12 (GMT -5)

You might not get any shinies in there. Perhaps just Soaker and the Black Tome. BDC is definitely much better for rewards. At the very least you can come back later when you're more powerful and able to take them down quickly.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Covenant
Registered user
The Unbeliever

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

So, I did it. Just basically melee'd them all to death. My HP never dropped by more than a hundred, though there was, as predicted, bloody annoying statloss. Thankfully I can bring it back up to reasonable levels by use of Garth/Herbs.

Picked up the Black Tome (grr) and The Far Slayer, which isn't too bad. At least it's done. No wish or ?oDanger though. Grr.
mozzy tunes
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 at 22:06 (GMT -5)

you were infected with a common disease known as Adom inspired temporary loss of senses. such as meleeing the cat lord, saccing at unaligned altars, picking up all your gear w/o thick gauntlets on, and reading spellbooks of wish with strength of atlas in effect.

we've all suffered from this at times. luckily you survived. you've got to calm yoru senese at times like those. you can always come back later. don't forget about wands of webbing, could've made your situation a lot easier.

one time i died in one of those high king gold vaults you see sometimes in the CoC. starved to death (i got teleported in by a trap). it wasn't until i died and looked at my inventory that i realized i had wands of trap creation that could've got me out.

anyway, enough babbling, but in adom there's almost always a better way to do things. usually the best is to just keep moving.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: