Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Roguelike / Elona

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Rephikul
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 03, 2008 at 10:10 (GMT -5)

well i havent checked back this forum for ages, so there's many thing i dont know. But i've recently got a rogue (for windows only it seems) called elona which i found, really good. The developers themselves and based on my experience, admit that it's loosely based on ADOM and many other roguelike games (it has a puppy quest!!). It's very friendly toward normal player as many hard-core elements of roguelike was removed such as permadeath (still there if you choose not to res yourself) with added hilarities and anime-like graphics (loli pet!!)

There's many things to say about this game so i suggest just download/play it as you see fit.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html

Control : just z x c, ? and numpad (with numlock off) for beginning. You can use the numpad and tab key to scroll things, too.

Please do note that if you have an internet connection, it'd try to connect to the online server for online elements (I wont spoil this) everytime you start up the game. If you reload the game alot, this might slow things down.

I hope everyone have fun :)
Rephikul
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 at 04:52 (GMT -5)

I'm NOT a spammer xD
Portrait
Ancient_pink_dragon
Registered user
So I was talking to a dark elf

Last page view:

5709 days, 3 hours, 27 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 at 19:38 (GMT -5)

Ouch! WHITE BACKGROUND!

You hear a horrible squeak!

I'll try it. Although from first glance it looks vury weeaboo. Besides I like my Rouge likes without any pictures or atleast just in ascii, this includes the websites.
You attack the Ancient pink dragon with all of your force, but do not mange to harm it! The Ancient Pink Dragon breaths a deathray, poision, fire, acid, ice, lightning, water, corruption, missle, petrefication, and stun breath at you. All of your equipment is torn apart! You die...
#######################################
..-------------------------------D%$[(%
#######################################

Robojesus_gintfrg St99 Le99 Wi99 Dx99 To99 Ch99 A99 Ma99 Pe99 L++ Dv/Pv 1500/1500 H -5843(18857) P 99999 (99999) Exp50/48320283474958492 ID:48374 Spd:5833 Blessed Invisible Bloated
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Saturday, August 09, 2008 at 07:56 (GMT -5)

It is essentially a console RPG style of roguelike. For some reason I find this distasteful (even though I play Japanese RPGs a lot), but I can understand its appeal.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Rephikul
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, August 18, 2008 at 21:35 (GMT -5)

It's a weeaboo roguelike, made known to me via 4chan, as a matter of fact.

The game does indeed sells for its lack of forced perma death and bundled visual presentation.

I like it for a relatively deep game balance. For example:

Throwing Weapon
+ Grenade: Deal less damage then a rock, but that's if it doesnt explode, which is like, all the time? The only AOE throwing weapon. Cause confusion on the area it hit if it explode.
+ Panty: The best, and rarest of all. These things deal mind damage which in turn cause confusion. Too bad these guys arent aoe.
+ Rock: Your first throwing weapon aside from potions, and the most widely seen. While they are inferior then other kind of throwing weapon, the simple fact that there's so many of them around guarantee you'd find yourself carrying skill-boosting rocks the most.
+ Shuriken: Also less damage then a rock, but has much better armor piercing %, and cause bleeding.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes and 1 second ago.
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 12:25 (GMT -5)

You can throw panties? Oh for Christ's sake, it really is a weeaboo game...
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Rephikul
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 19:25 (GMT -5)

http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/The_Shena%27s_Panty
maddog
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 at 08:17 (GMT -5)

No Perma-death? Count me out. Only reason why roguelikes have appeal to make them stand out from other games is that you have to face consequences of your actions.
Rephikul
Unregistered user
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 at 09:56 (GMT -5)

That's correct, although "common" ppl now prefer to continue their characters. Whenever you are killed you have an option to continue with some penalty (item loss, stat loss, gold loss) or really drop dead.

From my experience, once you have your basic knowledge of the game it's really hard to die.You have companions, and they'd happily play meatshield for you when you are running to the stair or waiting for the Return/Escape spell to work.

On the other hand, being allowed to "Continue: mean there's lots of reckless playstyle going on. Elona has an online chat function which also display wishes and death messages. I see people die from performance quests all the time, sometimes just to come back and die from the SAME quest!!

Performance: You skill at using music instruments. Be aware that higher level npcs are really picky and may throw rocks at you if your performance is not good enough.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: