Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Shyssiryxius

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4742 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 08:55 (GMT -5)

Can you kill Shyssiryxius with fireball?. I'm lvl 17 DE Wizard, trying to loot the underwater cave. I have limited spells, but have Shyssiryxius trapped in a small space, enclosed with a door. I'm trying to blast it into oblivion with fireball, but as darknes is keeping her stationary, I can tell if I'm doing any damage. I'd love to use Acid Ball, but havent found it yet. Ice ball wont work, and lightning ball is also useless.

Thanks in advance
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

4996 days, 23 hours, 23 minutes and 27 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 09:40 (GMT -5)

two things you should know before trying that:
-she can break down doors
-any monster helpless in darkness that gets cornered WILL be able to attack you once they panic, so even if you corner her into the wall (possible in the underwater cave) in darkness, she'll still be able to kill you once she's low on hp

if you just want to loot the cave i suggest darkening the stairs, darkening the area over the stuff you want to loot, pick it up, and teleport out. that shouldnt be too hard with a wizard.

and killing her at level 17 is a bad bad idea. you need lots and lots of hp to take on that dragon.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4868 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 10:12 (GMT -5)

Unfortunately, I also have never found a reliable
way to kill her with a low level PC.

Code dived info:

Spoiler

Regenerates, shrugs off bolts, sees invisible, is
immune to cold, and poison.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 20 hours, 26 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 15:39 (GMT -5)

Fireball will work eventually. However at low levels it does little damage, and before she dies she will panic. Then she will either hit you in the dark (normally involving a lot of pain) or teleport away. Neither's much use to you.

Personally I strongly suggest you stay away. Far tougher PCs than yours have ventured to take on the mighty water dragon, and few have come back to tell the tale. Seriously, way too many people lose chars they like over the lust of gold and xp in Shissy's lair. Sometimes it's best to just say 'no', kids.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4570 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 at 20:29 (GMT -5)

Gut, the water dragon isn't immune to poison. I shot her with some poisoned arrows recently and got the "cringes in pain" message.

Of course, that character died after a long, drawn out battle. She'd get severely or critically damaged, then start teleporting away and regenerating at a horrifying rate. No sooner did I track her down and injure her again, she'd teleport away again. Eventually, she attacked me and scored three critical melee hits and finished me off with her water breath, which is like a blue death ray.

RIP Rinault, Dwarven Priest, finder of an amazing amount of PoGA (I think it was about 13).

My theory is, you need to do massive damage quickly. I was able to kill her with an assasin, with their deadly backstabbing class power, in the dark.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4868 days, 22 hours, 43 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at 04:41 (GMT -5)

It was code-dived info, so I don't see how it
was wrong. Here is the full quote:

Spoiler

#
--- ADoM, monster information
286 0x11E great water dragon
Char: D (cyan)
Alignment: Lawful
Corpse weight: 480s
Monster Class Flags:
mcfDragonWyrm
mcfWaterDragon
unk_00080000
Monster Flags 1:
mf1Breath
mf1Regenerate
Monster Flags 3:
mf3ShrugOffBolts
mf3SeeInvisible
mf3Unique
mf3IgnoreWater
mf3ColdImmunity
mf3PoisonImmunity
AI Flags:
maifIQ1_90
maifIQ2_90
unk_00002000
unk_00008000

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Jules
Registered user

Last page view:

4742 days, 6 hours, 47 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

Thanks for your help guys, but !!!

I got bored, realised that I wasnt really causing any damage, ran out of spells etc. Left the cave, in a bad mood, and promptly came across a wild boar. Excellent I thought, chance for a skull. So why did I decide that it was time for melee practice??? I'm a Wizard for %^*&*( sake.

Took me down to 1hp, so I teleported away. Phew I thought, safe now. No, hadnt noticed I was also bleeding !!!!

Still new character is currently searching for AOLS, lvl 15, and lots of spells. Hope renewed.
Nightmare
Registered user
Soul Calibur 2

Last page view:

4570 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 48 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 at 15:05 (GMT -5)

Can anyone get over there and test out the poison immunity? I could have sworn I dipped arrows of dragon slaying in a potion of poison and shot her, and got the "cringes in pain" message. I'm playing on the latest version.
"As for me, I feel priveleged to be among the only species able to make scientific inquiries." -unknown

"Be sure to keep your distance if you don't have resistance." -DG
LostInPlace
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 at 12:24 (GMT -5)

Tested Momma dragon's Poison Immunity with a Trollish Assassin.

The game stated she was poisoned upon being struck with a poisoned club, and she cringe in pain roughly two turns later. I also tested this with other monsters who are listed as having poison immunity via the mf3PoisonImmunity flag, and this seems to be the case with those as well, e.g., goodwives are vulnerable to poison.
LostInPlace
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 at 12:29 (GMT -5)

Additional sidenote: all monsters with said monster flag are lawfuls and non-hostile by default. It has been suggested elsewhere (specifically at http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/results/datadump) that this is an alignment drop modifying flag.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 01:17 (GMT -5)

I don't know how old this is but I am going to post anyways.

I have only been able to take that great dragon out a few times.

Once with a gray elf wizard using dankness and acid ball. I believe she can also be burned with burning hands.

Once with a trollish barbarian wielding Vanquisher. With a few darkness scrolls and natural berserk she actually fell quickly.

Then once with a trollish healer, I can't remember what weapon I used but I remember it was a long fight. The stethoscope did help in the darkness as did the massive life pool troll healers have.

At any rate,it is a gamble no matter what approach you take. She can dish out damage like crazy and if you can't survive a round of attacks then you are taking a huge risk. Her breath weapon is very scary also.

For the melee getting pass her PV is the hard part. I can't remember what it is but it is like 50 or something crazy like that. I have been thinking of rustproofing a phase dagger (at least I am assume since it is iron it can be rustproofed) and giving that a try. I suppose a penetrating weapon would work as well.

A wand of monster detection helps. Andy's guide says rings of fish, helm of water breathing, and a high swimming working in together will lower the damage done by her breath attack. But I have not been able to test that, as of yet. Mostly she kills with her claws.

Also be careful killing her if you are already crowned lawful. It could change you to neutral and cause you to lose your crowning.

Has any tried zapping her with a wand of paralyzation?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5166 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 07:20 (GMT -5)

I am going to bet that extra water breathing effects, swimming, etc. do NOT reduce damage of her attack, but I am not completely certain. And no, I would say she mostly kills with her breath attack; I've never ever been hit by her melee attack. Why would you be? You attack her in Darkness, and you only have an issue if she runs away; to find her again properly you might need to go outside the darkness, where she can water breath blast you for ~200 damage.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

Darkness is not total protection from her attacks. Also her breath weapon can do more then 200 points of damage. It is more like 300 - 400 points of damage.

AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3149 days, 9 hours, 50 minutes and 16 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:27 (GMT -5)

It wasn't in the guidebook the last time I checked, and I believe I was the first to post it, and yes, multiple sources of water breathing does reduce her breath damage (full water-breathing effects not swimming, etc., but full effects like eating blup, either trident, helm, etc.)

She is not immune to poison, easily verified by a stethescope.

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:37 (GMT -5)

Well it is in the guide book now; I certainly didn't get from here.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:49 (GMT -5)

That's good. :)

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5166 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 23 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 14:05 (GMT -5)

As I suspected, it is not true. 3 sources of water breathing (average damage - 114) were no better than 1 source (average damage - 115).

The damage ranged from 81 and 157 for a single water breath attack. (This may or may not have been a little less than normal since my Perception was maxed during this test; a quick run with Perception at 15 gave me an average of 125, which is within the margin of error but possibly related.) Of course, keep in mind she's fast, and depending on your speed she can sometimes launch 2 blasts in a row.

Darkness IS complete protection if you're surrounded in Darkness and she isn't panic-berserking.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 15:31 (GMT -5)

Eat blup, weild trident, wear helm, run test...

The damage with no water breathing is far higher than 200, her unmitigated damage can easily reach over 400. Having a source of water breathing makes a huge difference.

Darkness is complete protection as long as you have no intention of killing her...

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 20:29 (GMT -5)

How much of an alignment drop will you get from killing Blup?
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 03:20 (GMT -5)

A lot! lol... ;)

nymersic
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 19:07 (GMT -5)

A lot of people forget/aren't aware that if you're lucky enough to find a pickaxe, you can mine away the houses in towns and surely find a stone giant or two. Lure them towards the mobs you want to kill, and they will die pretty fast. Stone giants seemed to be able to take out anything in Terinyo. I wonder why I never hear of anyone ever mentioning that method to get farmer and Blup corpses? I thought it seemed obvious. I guess the corpses would be less likely to be generated; but there's enough farmers around for it anyway.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4210 days, 20 hours, 26 minutes and 34 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 21:49 (GMT -5)

Quite a nice idea actually - I may abuse this in future!
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

4880 days, 8 hours, 51 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 23:41 (GMT -5)

For an update..

I have tried the rustproof phase dagger on her. It worked very well

Also wands of paralyzation seem to work for keeping her from teleporing away or berserking, when she is getting low on hp. Of course it helps to have a stethoscope to keep track of her HP. I guess stun might also have the same effect.

At least I think it was the wand that kept her from teleporting around. I'll have to try it again.

But if so, then this my recommended approach:

Go in there darkness the whole area around her.

Using a phase dagger, slaying ammo/weapon, or something with penetration hit her as hard as you can.

When she is getting low(unless you have a stethoscope you'll just have to take your best guess) paralyze (or maybe stun?) her and perform the coupe de gra.

If she gets away from you and leaves the darkness then, I would suggest you, forget killing her, just grab the loot and leave.

Also, having wands or scrolls of monster detection will help.

Although, to be fair to the old girl; darkness really is a cheap shot. Not really a fair fight.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 10/19/2010 at 23:41 (GMT -5) by Jbc]
Brandon T
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 12:43 (GMT -5)

I just wiped her out extremely easily with a levle 23 Hurthling Weaponsmith wielding an eternium dagger of penetration. She never panicked for some reason, possibly because I was invisible (permanent from a fountain)? I've never tried to kill her before... but she had an eternium tower shield AND Preserver in her hoard, so I *HAD* to do it. The 7 levels I got were just a bonus.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: