Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / "intrinsic" loyalty of pets

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

JHB
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 at 14:23 (GMT -5)

I wonder whether if it's true that some pet species are more likely than others to get the "strange glint in eye" and attack themselves or their owners, once they get to "critically wounded" stage. In other words:

(1) is there a "morale" component in pet loyalty that varies according to the pet's species?; and

(2) Does the PC's charisma effect the chance that a pet will go berserk, once the pet gets to "critically wounded" stage?

It seems that, for example, silver wolves are much more likely to go Cujo when they get to critically wounded than the other pet species, whereas racoons seem rather more stable.

Is this actually the case, or am I not properly factoring in that raccoons, dire wolves, cave bears, etc. are stronger than silver wolves, so they get to 'critically wounded' less often in the first place?

AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3178 days, 17 hours, 35 minutes and 31 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, February 27, 2009 at 21:28 (GMT -5)

Interesting questions...

I don't know whether there's a morale component based on species or charisma, but I think there is a morale component which depends on class.

For most classes (including clerics, even though they start with music), a pet can lose loyalty and turn on you after many many turns of following you around.
This is not from going berzerk or being wounded, though corruption may have something to do with it, it just seems to be a random occurance that happens after a long time walking around in the dungeon.

This is evident from powerful pets such as balors or G. earth elementals gained from familiar summoning as well as more mundane animals attracted with music.

Bards are not subject to this effect and iirc, farmers are resistant to it as well.

I've had powerful pets turn on me for seemingly no reason with other classes, but never as a bard.
I've never lost control of a necro undead slave, but I have lost control of a necro pet.
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4240 days, 4 hours, 11 minutes and 49 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 at 09:22 (GMT -5)

For bards it's a listed class power that pets will never turn on their master. For farmers it seems they just have a better chance of things (but are not completely immune). All other classes are even. Necro slaves as far as I'm aware never rebel, even if you have necromancy in another class.

As for monsters berserking on criticals, as far as I can tell most creatures have a certain chance of this when they are at the critical stage, and it has nothing to do with whether their pets or not. Whether different creatures have different chance is open to debate, though I'd hazard not since I've seen most types of monsters, strong and weak, do it regularly enough. I imagine the likes of constructs are immune, but otherwise I've not noticed any variation myself.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: