Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Weaponsmith guide

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

koctyxa
Registered user

Last page view:

5469 days, 8 hours, 22 minutes and 39 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, April 22, 2009 at 08:39 (GMT -5)

I've written half of a guide for a weaponsmith. I apologize it's not eloquent.

Starsign

Raven - Weak. +10 to speed is rather a hinder than boon, because you've already got Athletics and you don't want to get too speedy - less experience penalty triggers. Dopplegangers are not that a threat to justify Ravenness.

Book - Great. It's ideal for fighter with Concentration added. You will learn tough spells earlier. Additional skill increase means you will be able to smith something significant earlier.

Wand - Good. It's +10% to PP or -10% to spell casting cost will be handy since early midgame.

Unicorn - Weak. With this starsign you can easier plan playing chaotic, or playing faster bypassing Rift and letting Khelly die.

Salamander - Great. More Mana and powerpoints means more ranged attacks.

Dragon - Good. Faster levelling in melee skills, better tactics and more magic power - all are very useful for fighter with magical skills.

Sword - Medium. Just like Dragon starsign, but less.

Falcon - Weak. If you're Orc or Troll, you will need the extra talent for Long-living and Alertness which will be life saving. For other races it's not that important.

Cup - Great. Books are nicer to you, more skill advances is good for your Smithing and Healing.

Candle - Good. As a weaponsmith you won't be hit hard enough to consider healing a big deal. In the beginning it can be very useful though. Free talent is good for Orco and Trolls.

Wolf - Weak. Maybe for a Drakeling it is nicer because you can spit with acid easier.

Tree - Weak. Since you probably won't get Herbalism, +5 Willpower may be important in several places in game, but usually items such as =oClearMind are enough. And let's be realistic: ball spells are not for you.
---

TODO: starting equipment.

Races

Weaponsmith isn't very picky if it comes to races. He can choose either might or might-and-magic path. Drakeling, Dwarf, Orc and Troll make might their main weapon.
High and Grey Elve - Might and magic. May be quite fragile in the beginnig (not as much as a Mindcrafter), but from experience level 6 on they are getting bolder. Dodge may save elf's life early on.

Dark Elf - Might and more magic. As fragile as other elves, but has more magic inclinations and also makes melee fights better with Fight Weakness. Also Alertness gives much benefit with some encounters. His problem with cash flow (by Dwarven hatred) gets less frowns for a Weaponsmith, because he won't sell all the junk. Providing you are able to get him through to Healer, it's great choice.

Drakeling - Might. Acid spitting can drive you through beginning when weaponsmith is most vurnable. Alertness makes boss fighting less dangerous, so Drakish Weaponsmith is quite good combination.

Dwarf - Might. It's smith per se. Double Smithing training gives you opportunity to start smithing as soon as you find a forge. Thus and because of inherent dwarven sturdiness it's easy to keep dwarven weaponsmith in the early game stages. Having Minning you can smith more and you don't need Treasure Hunter that much. Digging and Smithing is tedious so it's not necessairly a great boon, nevertheless if you wan't to be a walking tank, welcome in dwarven world.

Gnome - Might and magic. It's suprisingly good combination. Gemology, Mining and Smithing complement together. Everyone likes pickpocketing because of just plain water supply. Ventriloquism is maybe a toy, but comes handy at times. High mana, faster levelling, affinity with crossbows - which are smithable - fits weaponsmith a lot.

Human - Might and some magic. What can I say about medium race? Fast leveling is not badly needed for weaponsmith. Food is useful during smithing, so it's easier to start early smithing with Food Preservation. Magic is not that strong for human, but at least basic spells can be learnt by human.

Hurthling - Neither might, nor magic. Hurthling weaponsmith is somehow disabled. His starting attributes promise a tough beginning and not that epic ending which is not softened by the fact that his levelling is faster because of lesser experience demands. Weaponsmith doesn't depend on levelling much. Slings and rocks are not metal so who cares? It's better for Hurthling to crop some cucumber from his garden and make a good meal. And peace.

Orc - Might. Orcs gives great weaponsmiths. Maybe they won't be as proficient in magic as other races, but their might is enough. With Find Weakness he deals a lot of damage. With Mining he can make even better armour. With double Strength and Toughness early game is a walkthrough. But his short lifespan and not that great Learning and Mana drives him to training more with shooting, including talents choices.

Troll - Might. It's just like orc, but harder. Gemology is nice for the Learning and fireballs. Strenght and Toughness are even bigger. Experience is not that important for weaponsmith, but it's better not to be too fast. It can be quite annoying not to be able to take a Rift or Maze, but you can approach ending faster then others. Just don't look back.

---
Talents

There are some important talents for weaponsmith but there's not that much. First of all you don't need protective nor offensive talents. It's just not worth it. Three talents for +6 to damage and to hit or +6 to DV or +6 to PV are to be laughed at by weaponsmith. You don't need quick talents, because you're already quick with Athletics. Long Stride and Healthly are of great importance in early game, because of lack of Healing. If you want to smith a lot, get Alert-Miser-Treasure Hunter, maybe along with Porter-Master Packager-Beast of Burden. All metal junk you find in the caves, including 120 stones heavy rocks can come handy. It's just easier to cary them along all the time but it's not necessery. If you want play might, then it's important to have Good Shot-Keen Shot-Quick-Quick Shot. If you're going magic way, pick up Potent Aura-Charged. Long-lived is essential for Orcs and Trolls. This makes at most 12 talents. Other's are just cheries on top of the cake.

---
Crowning gifts

Bracers of War - One of the best artifacts in the world. You won't smith other bracers beyond [+8, +4] so there's no conflict of interests.

Hammer of the Gods - Good throwing weapon. If you are not Orc nor Troll you are probably not proficient with shooting weapons, so this weapon is good enough to throw from time to time. Useful in Air Temple and in blue caves. Maybe you would even hold it in hand if you can spare that DV from shield (but I wouldn't do so).

Perion's Plate Mail - Not that fantastic, you could smith better. But it won't be damaged so it's quite nice artifact.

Protector - Great shield with nice resistances. And you woudn't smith better.

Ring of Immunity - There's plenty nice rings out there, but this one is one of the nicest. With this on you're getting closer to becoming walking tank.

Skullcrusher - This is not the best option, but it is a hammer, so you should have already a proficiency with them. It's also a humanoid slayer, and most of the big bad monsters are big bad guys.

This set of crowning gifts gives us the conclusion that it's better to stay with hammers in hand until crowned (there's 1/3 chance you'll get hammer). Also you shouldn't smith your shield nor torso armour a lot. It's better to spend more time on headgear or boots.

saladman
Registered user

Last page view:

5482 days, 14 hours, 22 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, April 23, 2009 at 00:31 (GMT -5)

The weaponsmith class starts with the Find Weakness skill, and the skill is pretty easy to train to 100. I don't think the orcs and dark elves have much advantage over the other races from Find Weakness.
Portrait
Soirana
Registered user
Chaos Freak

Last page view:

4150 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes and 8 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, April 24, 2009 at 11:06 (GMT -5)

Starsign

>Raven - Weak.

Rune covered trident in tower? Also IMO you can never have enough of speed, stay bloated if xp is that much problem.
Overall i think it is second strongest sign for any race/class, skipping roleplay reasons.

>Book - Great.
It is old discussion that it does actually. From what i know cuts negatives from book reading, while not actually easing reading improved fireball... IMO, this one is weak.

>Wand - Good. It's +10% to PP or -10% to spell >casting
Hey, neutrals only and we don't speak about druids... Situational at best.

>Salamander - Great. More Mana and powerpoints >means more ranged attacks.
Mana is easiest stat to train. Powerpoints can be easily fixed via wand absorption. Mana potential is different talk. I'd rather take +6 to potential than +3 to Mana.

>Dragon - Good. Faster levelling in melee skills, >better tactics and more magic power - all are >very useful for fighter with magical skills.

Best part is discount for missiles which you missed.

>Falcon - Weak. If you're Orc or Troll, you will >need the extra talent for Long-living and >Alertness which will be life saving. For other >races it's not that important.
Huh? Long-lived is about effect of one blessed potion of longevity. Allertness? maybe alert? It is discussable choice, but not must have.

>Candle - Good. As a weaponsmith you won't be hit >hard enough to consider healing a big deal.
Huh? Candle beats healing at 100 and you just advertised another month for being better as it raises healing faster. One can never have enough healing rate.

> Dodge may save elf's life early on.
bellow 65 in skill you get +3DV at best. Dodge is excelent at 100 or nearing it, which is not early on.

>Dark Elf - better with Fight Weakness.
Class skill

>Having Minning you can smith more and you don't >need Treasure Hunter that much.
That mining got to do with sucky TH talent?

>Hurthling - Neither might, nor magic. Hurthling >weaponsmith is somehow disabled.
Exuce me ... you evr generated one? Due to starting item carrying feature they start at ST17, while having regular hobbit Dx and To and reasanoble skillset. I won't even speak about going through questions on generation and always picking answers with negative strength.
Beats orcs and some other races on any given day.

>Orc -With Find Weakness he deals a lot of >damage.
Find weakness is one of easier skills to train. Having it via class is more than enough.

>Talents
Have not seen anyone being off target that much by long time.

The only thing i could agree is missile talents.

>You won't smith other bracers beyond [+8, +4]
You kidding? Something like +8, +6 bracers of resistance happens every time i'd go for smithing with any char...

>Protector - Great shield with nice resistances. >And you woudn't smith better.
O_o o_O. Take eternium tower shield and work it. Protector's intrinsics? Which ones are vital?

>it's better to stay with hammers in hand until >crowned
I'd rather stick with standard polearm advice

A root is a flower that disdains fame.
Kahlil Gibran(1883-1931)
Preormakern
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 at 17:43 (GMT -5)

Could not find a suitable section so I written here, how to become a moderator for your forum, that need for this?
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

Hurtling are a good race for any class, even weaponsmith. They start with food preservation, cooking (with a cooking set & their gods like cooked food) and level four in thrown rocks. They have good toughness and dex and their lower str will train up fast enough.

The only problem with hurtling is finding some rocks right of the bat.

Draklings are another good all around race and their acid is far more useful then just for the beginning. Especially, when you have awesome armor class, then you can just go into coward and start spitting acid on some of the scarier monsters (like ghost).

Although, I like dwarf weaponsmiths, as they do have great starting stats, they can be strong, tough & smart, there are better races for this class.

The two races that I would say fit it best would be troll and gnome, as they both have gemology.

The gnome probably fits the class the best though, because of the magic ability and skill with crossbows. But if you want gemology and food preservation then go with a troll.

--

I disagree with you on the defensive talents. I say you can never have too much DV and weaponsmith, shield skills and spear is some great DV.

Porter and those skill are just a waste for weaponsmith. You don't need to haul your gear with you, just leave it somewhere.

Long stride + speed can be helpful for just about anyone. But there other ways to get speed.

I say don't wast talents on charged. You are not a pure caster.

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 05:25 (GMT -5)

Birth signs

I say sword, dragon, or candle.

Candle is just a nice to have for many class/races.

Sword, to help you train your spear.

Dragon, probably the best, imo, for weaponsmith. It will help with weaponskills and magicskills.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5195 days, 10 hours, 17 minutes and 6 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 07:23 (GMT -5)

Having more than ~70 DV is pointless. PV also has diminishing returns, but it really doesn't have a usefulness cap like DV does.

Charged is the 4th worst talent in the game, and should never be gotten by anyone generally speaking. Definitely not byanyone that has Concentration.

Candle is easily the best birth sign in the game always, though a few others are at least halfway decent.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3178 days, 16 hours, 43 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 11:47 (GMT -5)

Good start, a few comments:

Starsign
Raven - Weak.
-- Normally, raven is one of the best for the early trident, but it's a bit redundant for weaponsmith (what's the point, really unless you're making your own weapons/armor). Agree with you on speed comments - +8 To is useful when you get it at 40th level after you've already boosted that stat by conventional means, but +10 speed at the beginning of the game is not terribly useful unless you are specifically challenging yourself with no herbs or potions of exchange (which would make the bugs a risky proposition).

Book - Great. Wand - Good. Unicorn - Weak. -- This is bugged, opposite effect actually makes it harder to get lawful.

Salamander - Great.Dragon - Good.Sword - Medium.Falcon - Weak...talent,orcs,trolls... -- I assume what you mean is that if you are getting alert no matter what character you play (which is very advantageous), extra talent means you can also get extra lifespan for orcs/trolls. This is true, it's worth about 2-3 blessed potions of longevity.

Cup - Great. Candle - Good. Wolf - Weak.Tree - Weak. Since you probably won't get Herbalism -- Herbalism is way >> than healing. Heck, I'd even rate gardening > healing. The only time I'd say the carpenter quest is a better choice than the druid's is if I'm playing a race and/or class which gives herbs and gardening to start or I want to do the healer's infinite healing potion thing.

Races -- For weaponsmiths, the most important skills to add to your character are mining, gemology, alertness, and food preservation in that order making any race with mining a good choice, and gnomes an excellent choice (mithril skin also makes dwarves an excellent choice).

Talents -- Treasure hunter is, of course, immensly valuable for any character. The beast of burden line is probably the most valuable for weaponsmiths. Long-lived is nice, but not essential since you can duplicate that bonus if you find or make an extra few blessed longevity potions. The potent - charged line is a waste for weaponsmiths, I think. While the weapon master talents require too much for too little in my opinion, the defensive talents (both the dv line and the pv line) are very useful. More dv/pv is never a bad thing. You will see a bigger benefit going from 70dv to 100dv than you do going from 40dv to 70dv. If you get up to 140+dv which you can as a weaponsmith, you'll be very comfortable. :)

Crowning gifts -- You can absolutely go past the +8/+4 bracers and far past the +1/+13 plate and the +20/+4 shield. That message you get "despite your best efforts, this can't be improved further..." is not accurate. You can go past that; weaponsmiths can go far past that... +24/+16 shields, +20/+20 armor, and +10/+10 bracers are not unheard of if you have a tremendous amount of patience. That being said, the bracers and skullcrusher are still good rewards here since the luck and +crit and humanoid slaying are all nice features. Since you can't change what you get as a crown, however, this section doesn't really add anything to a guide on how to play weaponsmiths other than to say that if you play a dwarf you could get the pickaxe or if you play an elf, you can get the undead slaying bow. If you include all artifacts, you could mention that the pickaxe is easily the best artifact you could get for a weaponsmith.

As for weapon types, there's no question that polearms have it all over everything else, but it's nice to try out other stuff like hammers, axes, etc. Since you are doing a weaponsmith, this is a good oportunity to try out other stuff, since they can make any metal weapon good.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 13:10 (GMT -5)

Long-lived is only worth 70% of one Blessed Potion of Longevity for an Orc, or 110% for a Troll (on average).

If you don't want to get Healing, Candle becomes that much better. I don't really see how you could rate Gardening higher; you'll find a few herb seeds, but not usually enough to make having Gardening very noteworthy.

As much as I personally like it, Treasure Hunter is generally overrated. However, it is worth noting that it is somewhat extra nice with weaponsmiths, as you can convert a lot of the junk armor/weapons into ingots using the class ability.

Actually try testing 70DV to 100DV sometime - there is no difference whatsoever, atleast as far as normal combat goes (I haven't tested it with regards to blocking special attacks and such, to be fair). PV talents also seem weaker than normal if you're going to be doing a lot of smithing, but they could help early on (also depends on what equipment you start with).

Weaponsmiths basically have the best crowning gifts in the game - though the BoW don't actually give any crit bonus.

A Weaponsmith's ability to make a weapon better is pretty poor compared to finding one that is naturally very good, e.g. Of Devestation.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/22/2009 at 13:11 (GMT -5) by Twinge]
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

If I'm not mistaken, potions are random, long-lived isn't. Usually 2 blessed gets you as much as the talent.

Candle is good, better than healing plus you get a talent. Gardening is good even if you never find or use a single herb seed. Its benefit is not just planting herb seeds (you can just use holy water for that). Having even a single point in gardening allows you to grow herbs on any level, even right next to wherever you found your forge. So, instead of taking time to herb and taking time to smith, you can spend time herbing and smithing together. You can also herb next to any altar you find, etc...

It's hard to overrate treasure hunter, the best talent in the game. Roughly double the dropped items is all good in my book. Even if you use stair-hopping which I find far more tedious than herbs and smithing, you still get double the rare dropped items that you won't find in the ID, and so it's still worth having.

I can't test anything right now since my only non-vista computer died, so no dos, and I can't deal with the windows version. You will see a difference with higher dv however. Try going to the bug temple. Killer bugs will hit 70 dv 100% of the time, but they can miss a fair amount at 140dv. Pv is all good except when they bypass armor... Generally speaking, you can find mobs that bypass pv, and you can find mobs that bypass dv, but there is nothing that bypasses both.

I actually think weaponsmiths have one of the worst selections of crowning gifts in the game, bracers and skullcrusher being the only good ones, and none of the non-random artifacts.

Even weapons of devastation can get their hit bonus raised to +10-12, and +4dv/+1pv which are pretty good things to have, I think. Find a weapon of penetration or a phase dagger, and you're adding +10-12 damage to that as well.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

Correct, potions ARE random - the numbers I gave were based on the average result. They can be better or worse but will be around there. How good they are in comparison obviously depends on the race. Even humans are only at 142% and Hurthlings 175% though; you have to hit one of the long-lived races before you hit that 2 potion figure.

You can only convert a level to an herb level by successfully applying the gardening skill with an herb seed; if it withers or you don't actually try to plant an herb seed, the level will not be made into an herb level. So you'll need at least 1 herb seed and 2 holy waters at the very least to create a new stable patch from scratch (and of course, you'll only have an 11% chance at best with only 2 holy waters, hehe).

The best talent in the game is Bard-Heir. TH mostly looks good because most talents are so bad. You only get double the dropped items from monsters, and then only from weak monsters (it won't improve drops from e.g. a dragon). You won't get any more items from shops, graves, pickpocketing, floors, high level monsters, etc. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is worth taking in many cases - but it is absolutely overrated. Keep in mind it is 3 talents to get there and it's essentially useless by the time you hit the Casino.

My DV/PV tests specifically involved killer bugs, among other creature types :P Specifically it was about 65DV where no further increases seemed to matter at all. I used to be a bigger proponent of DV until I did those tests, for the record - I had thought late game PV was nearly pointless, and it's far from it. Prior to this I had personally noticed in game that ~100DV seemed to be 'maxed out' and no further DV mattered; tests proved this figure to be even lower that I had thought.

Bracers of War, Protector, and the Ring of Immunity are all amazing Top-Tier artifacts. Skullcrusher is also solid. Hammer is mediocre, and Perion's is crap. I exaggerated a bit, as e.g. Beastfighters have an even stronger set, but Weaponsmiths are definitely solid.

Phase Daggers are probably where you'd see the most usefulness out of smithing weapons, indeed. I had always found it took too much effort for too little gain to do normal weapons when I'd tried in the past.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 20:12 (GMT -5)

"I can't test anything right now since my only non-vista computer died, so no dos, and I can't deal with the windows version." - AshenPlanet

Have you tried something like DOSbox?
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 20:49 (GMT -5)

"My DV/PV tests specifically involved killer bugs, among other creature types :P Specifically it was about 65DV where no further increases seemed to matter at all. "

That certainly is not my experience. I noticed a huge difference when pushing my DV up over a 100.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 21:53 (GMT -5)

What level where the bugs that you were testing against? They go up in levels you know.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 21:58 (GMT -5)

Or rather they come in different levels. Not too sure how it works. Is that dependent on how many you kill or is it just random spawn?
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 03:09 (GMT -5)

longevity -- Perhaps my comments on this weren't clear enough - I was illustrating that long-lived is a poor talent even for orcs because a couple longevity potions is all you need to get the equivalent bonus.

Treasure: only from weak monsters -- what? Balors, greater titans, lich kings drops >> anything stair-hopped from ID. it won't improve drops from e.g. a dragon -- are you sure it doesn't increase dragon drops?

That certainly is not my experience. I noticed a huge difference when pushing my DV up over a 100. -- Definitely not my experience either, and keep in mind that 140 is on the low end for weaponsmiths - you can get much higher than that. Were these tests run using a 1st level character and adombot? That won't be accurate...

I actually have dosbox to play master of magic, but that's a slow mouse-based strategy game; whereas adom is a fast-paced keyboard game, and the lag/jitteryness annoys me here, I tried the windows version, but the lack of full screen and different colors/icons will take time to get used to...

Artifacts -- if you don't think bracers of war give +crit, then why are they better than commonly found bracers of regen which you can smith much higher? I have no way to dispute or verify the +crit right now, so I won't comment about that. Protector is good for non-smiths, but for a smith who can make much better, why? Ring of immunity, I usually don't use even if I find it randomly, I prefer kitty ring/stability ring. I understand some love it, no argument here, but it can, like all the other weaponsmith crowns, be found randomly. I'd say most classes' crowns have a better selection.

Any devastation weapon can get +10-12 to hit and +4dv/+1pv - this is bad?
Phase daggers or penetrating weapons also can get +10-12 damage on top of that, so it's a nice bonus, but it's certainly worthwhile on any other weapon also.
Besides, why play a weaponsmith if you're not going to, um... smith weapons?

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 08:16 (GMT -5)

Re: TH and high level mobs - Absolutely sure. Basically, the way TH works is it gives you an extra chance for an item to drop if the monster dropped no items. A dragon dropping a pile of loot means you'll never hit the no-item check, and thus TH will never give you more items from them. Higher level mobs in general have higher drop rates, so it becomes less useful against them overall. And no, high level mobs (e.g. balors) do NOT drop better loot - they simply appear in more dangerous areas, where better loot is generated. This is independent of the monster.

I guess I'll have to run some more in-depth DV/PV tests to really say for sure. As I said, my in-game experience has definitely indicated that ~100 was absolutely the same as ~150, but I'll do some more tests with different level mobs and see if my figures stay true.

I think Bracers of War probably do give +crit _if you wield them as a melee weapon_ ;P I didn't test that, but they definitely do not improve your crit chances when equipped normally. This also should apply to the Ring of the Master Cat (though I haven't had a chance to test that one yet).

BOw friggin' give all of {Dx+8} +Rgen +Luck -Stun -Deth -Conf ; that's a hell of a lot better than a few extra points of DV or PV when you already have a decent amount. Likewise Protector also gives {To+2} -Slee -Stun -Conf which isn't quite as impressive but still quite nice. They're also indestructible and give you strong DV/PV without tedious smithing work.

RoI is a bloody +5/+5 ring that gives immunity to all 4 elements. The RotMC isn't much better than that honestly, and that's saying a lot (since, obviously, the RotMC is amazing).

Many classes get garbage for crowning gifts. Take a gander at Thief, Archer, Bard, Druid, Ranger, Merchant, or Farmer for examples.

Weapons, as I've said, I always found really tedious to get any noteworthy gains on. Armors I only tended to smith to +10/+10 or so because the success rate got so low and it became really tedious, and really the gains past that pain are fairly marginal. It's possible my past experiences were primarily smithing with non-smiths and smiths get enough of a bonus to make it less annoying; I haven't smithed in a long while so may perceptions there may be flawed to some extent.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 12:22 (GMT -5)

"Farmer for examples." - Twinge

Do you play many farmers?

Nature's Companion ( +15 to speed & two immunity), Ironfist (is ok due to the +7 to str),Serpent's Bite, Skullcrusher, The Far Slayer (+18/+18 to missle attacks)& Preserver (need I say more)

Btw, don't go off what Andy's guide says for crowning gifts, it is way off.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 12:28 (GMT -5)

There are some crap gifts you can get with farmers like you can the stupid artifact bolt. Or some of those lame spears artifacts.

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 12:38 (GMT -5)

"Weapons, as I've said, I always found really tedious to get any noteworthy gains on" - Twinge

There is nothing wrong with adding a +10/+10 with a +2 or +3 to DV, to your weapon. And that is not tedious at all and is very simple to do with a weaponsmith.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 14:11 (GMT -5)

Uhh, you're confusing Crowning and Pre/Post crowning. Crowning only happens once per game, and it is always one of 6 (sometimes less) artifacts per character, dependent on class (and race if dwarven/elven and not beastfighter). Pre/Post crowning is the same for everyone, and is just a random artifact of those available (which is only like half of them; most are unavailable for pre/post or dungeon creation, kinda lame.)

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 19:04 (GMT -5)

Even so Preserver is a framer crowning gift.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 21:56 (GMT -5)

+2 or +3 to DV -- Why stop there? every weapon can get +4 dv and +1 pv if you have the patience for it. :)

Artifacts -- Most other classes have possible crownings that you can not get randomly like vanquisher, shirt of the saints, the cloaks, etc. Weaponsmiths don't even have the pickaxe on their list which is the best thing you could get for a weaponsmith. I think weaponsmiths intentially have the worst crowning list because they can make better items (in terms of base stats) in most slots than many artifacts.
Regardless, a discussion of crowning gifts isn't terribly useful in a guide anyway since it's decided at character creation and will not change. Adding that dwarves can get the pickaxe and elves can get sun's messenger would be somewhat useful in deciding which race to play.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 22:33 (GMT -5)

Sure - this is more a tangential conversation than anything. I'm not saying they couldn't be better - all sets could be - but it's still very good. You're simply not pulling friggin' True Aim or the Silver Key or other such garbage with a Weaponsmith =)

Preserver is not a farmer crowning gift; only Necromancers, Healers, and Beastfighters can get that amazing gem from a crowning. Andy's guide is correct for crowning gifts.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 00:35 (GMT -5)

"Preserver is not a farmer crowning gift; only Necromancers, Healers, and Beastfighters can get that amazing gem from a crowning. Andy's guide is correct for crowning gifts. " - Twinge

Twinge, I happen to be playing a farmer, currently, who got Preserver as a crowning gift, for becoming champion of order. So clearly it is a crowning gift for farmers and clearly Andy's guide is mistaken.

-
On a different note...

I am also not sold that pre-crowns are totally random. And I also have suspicions that alignment can effect crowning gifts; not just class.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 00:38 (GMT -5)

I meant pre-crowning gifts on the alignment thing.

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 01:02 (GMT -5)

Now that I think about, maybe it just in my head. Could have just been cowincedence.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 01:04 (GMT -5)

But I am sure about Preserver as that happen just yesterday. I am still playing the PC.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 at 02:13 (GMT -5)

"and +10/+10 bracers are not unheard of" - AshenPlanet

I just smithed +12/+13 bracers of speed. :) I had no clue it could go that high.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, December 25, 2009 at 02:19 (GMT -5)

You might actually be able to get higher results from iron then the other metals. As iron is more abundant and easier to smith.

But it is much weaker metal and damages easily.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: