Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / The lamest way to waste 35000!

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Mi Hai Loo
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 08:30 (GMT -5)

Lol.
My 7 lvl trollish healer dives into ID, right now at I13. He gets white baby dragon tension room, and large: 5x11. He kills every dragon exept the last one, gets about 35000 gold - not bad for 7lvl character!..
...And decides to try if baby dragons can double money just as adult ones. But baby dragon just don't get the money from floor, and troll decides to give this money.
"How many (WNTER=35086)?
The gold pieces disappear in a small hole in the ground. The white baby dragon misses you. The white baby dragon misses you. The white baby dragon misses you."
Sometimes I hate you, TB.
ADOMlover
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 09:18 (GMT -5)

Thats FUNNY!

I've never seen that message before!
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3130 days, 3 hours, 42 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 10:16 (GMT -5)

Baby dragons can double money, just for the record.
And you're lucky, they first time I tried that, the baby red dragon decides it's a good idea to breathe fire. "your life savings melt away"
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5258 days, 14 hours, 20 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 13:53 (GMT -5)

How do dragons double money? I've heard of this a lot but I've never really been interested in it.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

4499 days, 7 hours, 49 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:31 (GMT -5)

Lets say you kill a dragon. Siad dragon drops 1000 in gold. You see another dragon coming. Leave the money there and get out of the firing line (so the new dragon does not breathe fire or acid or something to destroy gold). The dragon will pick it up, and when you kill dragon #2 the original 1000 will have doubled plus the the new dragons loot. You could always just drop 40k or so, run, kill, repeat. Some consider it scumming, i consider it to be a pain!
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:05 (GMT -5)

I can see the scumming perspective, how the hell could duplicating gold be considerd a pain? wouldnt that make ANY rare find in a shop available? what about pre/crown/post? I would think the biggest pain would be getting 2 dragons ligned up...

What about if you first discover a single dragon and drop gold in anticipation of this certain phenom? is gold only duplicated if it is origionaly droped by a dragon? Is it necesary for 2 dragons to perform this non magic spell?

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 5/29/2009 at 17:09 (GMT -5) by liptick]
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4252 days, 8 hours, 13 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 22:38 (GMT -5)

Can be done with any gold. Generally considered to be a bug in the game. Certainly very abusable, for all 99 stats with Garth and lots of precrowns for instance.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Mi Hai Loo
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, May 29, 2009 at 23:30 (GMT -5)

To get 99 for all attributes you'll need *LOTS* of dragons...
Mi Hai Loo
Unregistered user
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 02:27 (GMT -5)

Well, I tried to calculate it. At my opinion, it will take about 5'000'000'000 gp. Starting with 10'000 gp, for example, we need something about 20 dragons... Well, it's not difficult at all. Even I had chances =(.

(And instead of it I died!)
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 09:16 (GMT -5)

Yeah, doesn't take lots of dragons at all. Doubling each time quickly leads to huge riches.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5038 days, 11 hours, 10 minutes and 35 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 13:47 (GMT -5)

it's slow at first, but it's an exponential growth.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4910 days, 10 hours, 30 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 at 05:08 (GMT -5)

Straight into negative numbers.
Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 at 12:42 (GMT -5)

The dragon credit crunch ;)
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, June 02, 2009 at 13:25 (GMT -5)

I consider almost anything other than bashing or casting spells to be a pain, gremlin bombs, dragon or ID scumming, pickpocketing. Ever forward defeats the 90 day limit!
Mi Hai Loo
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 at 07:51 (GMT -5)

Yes. And nobody will call you cheater.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, June 03, 2009 at 20:10 (GMT -5)

not true! I am a save scummer
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 at 16:26 (GMT -5)

I tried scumming for a short while. I learnt a lot through experience that I couldn't learn from the guidebook. eventually I realised I wasnt having fun anymore, rather I was developing a strong hatred for the rng. I swear it knows when you are cheating to the extreme. I'm talking about resetting a save before the DH or after every floor in any given dungeon to produce desired results. Obviously that's cheating to the max, but that fucking RNG knows I swear.

P.S. I no longer scumm or even think about it, to this day I still have not won a single game.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 6/4/2009 at 16:28 (GMT -5) by liptick]
Portrait
Maul
Registered user
[banned user]

Last page view:

4941 days, 8 hours, 39 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 at 17:13 (GMT -5)

Actually, I can only share that. I have recently acquired my first two legit wins alright (A ULE and a UNE - both of them felt like real accomplishments after a long time of gruesome deaths), but I never finished a game back when I savescummed 'cause of different reasons - one being that I couldn't bear the frustration of going through something again after a long period of no backing up.

That's why I can easily resist the temptation to reload a crash backup - not an easy thing for some, I hear.
1l= Y0(_) [4l\l R34[) 7l-l15, Y0(_) l\/l(_)57 83 PR377Y G00[).
Mi Hai Loo
Registered user
Demented kobold

Last page view:

5392 days, 16 hours, 26 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Thursday, June 04, 2009 at 22:23 (GMT -5)

I scummed a lot when I started to play. Even won by this way for two times. And then understood that it's just not interesting to play when you can't die. And that it's not interesting to win when you can't boast about it. So I don't scum anymore. Crash backups are not a problem for me - I think it's better to have a character with 200'000 points in highscore (normal result for me currently) than to have no honest character at all.
THC842
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Saturday, June 06, 2009 at 15:48 (GMT -5)

It took me six years to learn how to save scum, and another 1-3 years to beat it after the fact. Recently, i have tried to not scum and i get killed anyway. Game is very challenging

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: