Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / adom stability

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

5258 days, 8 hours, 25 minutes and 58 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 04:53 (GMT -5)

ive played version 1.1.1 as long as ive known about adom, I'm getting sick of the game crashing on me. im using adom sage and i remember reading something about how it might cause more bugs, i can see how that would be true, but im wondering if anyone else using it experiences frequent crashes ranging from character creation to mid-late game (ANGER!). also does anyone using the vanilla version of 1.1.1 experience this instability? is there a more stable, older version that is not missing any of the 1.1.1 features? I've about had it with this shit, if i can't come up with some sort of solution i just might quite adom. i love this game and the difficulty has ensured that i have a continuing reason to play as ive still never beaten the game, but the longer and farther my characters make it the more likely the game is to crash...

thomas is no longer working on adom so if these crashes are inherant and not just some sort of side affect of adom sage then that sucks...
Portrait
Maelstrom
Registered user
The Knight of the Black Rose

Last page view:

3129 days, 21 hours, 47 minutes and 54 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 14:46 (GMT -5)

I've had about 4 crashes in my ADOM career that were not my fault, that is they didn't occure because I've lured tha banshee on the animated forest level with a big screen resolution.

I've played ADOM since early Gammas (before there was a mana temple :P ).

So I think it's ADOM sage, since I'm not using it.
A pessimist sees a dark tunnel.
An optimist sees a light at the end of that tunnel.
A realist sees a train.
And the train driver sees three idiots on the tracks.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 7/28/2009 at 14:46 (GMT -5) by Maelstrom]
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 22:50 (GMT -5)

thx, i figured that was likely the case, but it has some nice features that dont alter the game, oh well, maybe ill actually beat the game without it
Mi Hai Loo
Registered user
Demented kobold

Last page view:

5392 days, 10 hours, 31 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at 23:33 (GMT -5)

I'm using vanilla Windows version, and almost never get crashed. Though, I save game before dropping *large* amounts of items and before giving to Helavaster AoLS (aargh, I hate this crash!!!). This is the only cases when my ADoM crashes.
Don't know anything about DOS version.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 03:52 (GMT -5)

well ive been doing some research and it seems to me that people have different experiences with adom regardless of what version they are using.now that i think about it i dont really remember having much of an issue before using sage, but then again a lot of people say that sage crashes least often for them...

a lot of people say the same thing about the winbeta 4 version but of coarse some people hate that as well....

im pretty frustrated with this whole thing, winbeta cant be played full screen, annoing, dos lags enough to be annoing, and i dont have a mac or linux, and sage seems to be the least stable for me... even love must overcome hardship, but usualy love entails getting laid as opposed to being repeatedly exposed to brutal deaths.
moomoo
Registered user

Last page view:

5397 days, 7 hours, 14 minutes and 26 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 06:43 (GMT -5)

Hi, I'm using dos version of 1.1.1 with dosbox (so no fullscreen windows issues) and its working great so far.

Take a backup .svg before dropping/picking up lots of items and giving aols to khelly, these seem to be the usual(only so far) crashy spots.
liptick
Registered user
The elf lover

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 07:34 (GMT -5)

as far as i know ive never experienced a consistant crash causing bug, and i have not experienced either of those 2, altho ill be sure to keep them in mind, last thing i need is to lose it over a game lol
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4252 days, 2 hours, 18 minutes and 42 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at 17:10 (GMT -5)

What sort of crashes do you have? Some things to avoid:

-too many items on a level, especially if there's monsters there
-dropping ingots
-giving amulet to Khelly (best to back up first)
-choosing skilled talent (I'm sure you know that though :P)

Probably some others I'm forgetting... I use Sage all the time and almost never crash. ADOM is far more stable than most commercial games in my experience.

Another option is to play on the server, since it auto-backups and restores upon crashes.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

5347 days, 23 hours, 47 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Wednesday, September 09, 2009 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

I am using the Windows version, it works well for me so far, but not having a full screen option does suck. I thought about getting DOS box and the DOS version of the game back (this is how I played before I got stuck with Vista) but then I started a character that is doing ok, so I have to wait until I die (because there is really no chance of winning for me right now)to move back. No full screen was a big mistake.
Playing for 10 years, got nothing to show for it.
Portrait
gut
Registered user
Painted this one too.

Last page view:

4910 days, 4 hours, 35 minutes and 38 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 at 16:10 (GMT -5)

> I have to wait until I die

The saves are compatable between winbeta and
the dos version. Also, I created a thread on
the adom.de boards a while back regarding the
process of getting ADOM to look good in DosBox.
You might want to check it out.

Put me in the 'fool filter', where I belong!

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: