Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / ADOM / Noobleness

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

benno the Mad
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 04, 2009 at 08:06 (GMT -5)

Hey, trying to play this with a Trollish Wizard... the keyword is trying. I start off, read what i have, then head to the small cave of level 6 death. usually, thats where it ends.

sometimes - not often - i survive to lvl six, then do the mad carpenter quest and head off to the chaos caves (the one with the arena) around level 8-10, and that is as far as i've ever gotten.

I figure i'm doing something terribly, terribly wrong because i've never had a char get to lvl 20.
Hatefulgravey
Registered user

Last page view:

5348 days, 2 hours, 52 minutes and 28 seconds ago.
Posted on Saturday, September 05, 2009 at 13:26 (GMT -5)

Don't feel bad, I've been playing for 10 years and I have gotten one character that I can remember past lvl 15. Maybe I just need to put real effort into learning the hundreds of pages of information need to win.

I'll go out on a limb and say your first problem is the tollish wizzard. I don't have alot of good example and such to give, but troll and wizard never really go well together.

As far as spell casters go, when I was just into the game I played Gnomish Elementalist. They seems alot easier to get going.
Playing for 10 years, got nothing to show for it.
Portrait
Taz
Registered user

Last page view:

5038 days, 8 hours, 20 minutes and 59 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, September 06, 2009 at 23:38 (GMT -5)

a few suggestions:
- try a different class (druids are very good for beginners)
- skip the small cave
- gain your first few levels in the infinite cave

and dont worry, the great majority of characters die at low levels.
Taz: A potion of gain attributes (4s) is lying here. Suddenly a stone block hits your head! Something on the ground is smashed to pieces!
PeanutGod: Awwww no! How harsh is that! This is where you need the artefact 'mop and bucket'.
psy_wombats
Registered user
Untitled

Last page view:

5349 days, 3 hours, 20 minutes and 30 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, September 08, 2009 at 16:06 (GMT -5)

Actually, trollish wizard is an excellent class, but you might run into issues with food and xp levels as a beginner.

Trollish priests are very nice... And try the month of the Candle. Really helps early-game.
WHEN WOMBATS STRIKE!
Enjoy your last days...
Molach unplugged
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 at 09:00 (GMT -5)

SMC is pretty decent place for trolls, as they level slow. Just do a quick sweep of the place, then butt out of there.

After completing the SMC you should go elsewhere. Go to a bandit village and talk to a master thief. Talk to the druid (not village chief) in terinyo. Even try to walk westwards to a "forboding place" and give that place a good run-to.

You are not doing anything terribly wrong. Your troll will not reach level 20 before a lot of the game is finished, that is how they are. If you played a , say, hurthling wizard you should get to levels over 20 easier. But do not take them to the small cave unless you like to regenerate chars a lot.
Molach still unplugg
Unregistered user
Posted on Friday, September 11, 2009 at 09:06 (GMT -5)

Your goal is mainly "get tough enough to survive the game", and this goal you can accomplish without doing any missions (although some of them helps)

I forgot to add, as a new-ish player using wizards you can walk around in the ever-changing cave, levels 1-5 for example, and pick up & read books. Once you get most of the spells you can handle most situations a lot easier. Also try to find and wield a one-handed weapon, get hold of a shield, find some basic armor items. Keep killing monsters and build up your strength.

Trolls get hungry fast, I would instead recommend the almost-as-tough but less-hungry race of dwarf. Take talents 'hardy' -> 'tough skin' -> 'iron skin' -> 'mithril skin' -> 'steel skin' as soon as you can, and you will be pretty well protected. Naked.
benno the mad
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 19:14 (GMT -5)

Thanks for the advice.

I've stopped using the troll wizard - too much death is bit demoralising. Troll beastfighter seems to work well (fighting through the arena, getting to dwarf village)... the last one i had was killed by a water grue in a monster room.

the first character i had that got that far was an orc healer.
Mol without the plug
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, September 21, 2009 at 08:57 (GMT -5)

Hurm. Water grue are very dangerous, as you noticed. With a beastfighter you should be able to outrun it, and that is what you need to do, sometimes. 5 levels later you would have pasted it all over the floor. Part of ADOM learning is also learning which monster to fight, and which to run from.

I seem to nag about trolls, but you may have noticed the slow levelling they get. Level real slow. Beastfighter is a class that gets _very_ nice boni to their attack as they level up, so they actaully want to level up as much as they can. When beastfighing with a troll, you will stagnate around level 11-12, not seem to get much stronger, and be ...lured... to drift into no-go hard areas. And there you will die.

Good beastly classes are dwarf, drakeling (acid spit trades food for a non-fail acid ranged attack that improves with level), orc. If you can survive a weak start - try dark elf or gnome beastfighter. Yes, gnome. Try it.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: