Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Potions of exchange

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 01:43 (GMT -5)

I was thinking with herbs one could raise their stats to say 30 (with sickness). Then drink a potion of exchange, preferably cursed. Hope some lower stats are moved into dex, wis, and toughness. Then herb those up and repeat until all stats are at about 30.

I supposed it could also be done with mining; crystals and stone giant corpses. Though, one would need mining and gemology.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 01:48 (GMT -5)

Does any one know what effect a blessed potion of balance has if all your stats are the same?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5195 days, 1 hour, 29 minutes and 57 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 07:16 (GMT -5)

If your stats are the same, B/U/C potion of balance will have no effect on stats. Your stat average also needs to be under 35 to have more than a 0% chance of it changing your stats instead of your alignment. (Even 30 average is only about a 9% chance.)

Balance is probably most useful early, in cases where you have high stats you don't care about (Ap, Ch, or Wi/Dx/To as they can be retrained) and ones you do like lower (Ma, Le).

Abusing a ring of weakness and exchanging strength will probably bring you better results than merely herbing it up, but of course you can always do both.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

I suppose you could use a ring of weakness like that. But those things are supper rare. If you are lucky sure, but I say don't waste your time trying to hunt one down.

AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

3178 days, 7 hours, 56 minutes and 50 seconds ago.
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:34 (GMT -5)

Potions of balance stop helping quickly, but potions of exchange work very well with herbs.
If you do sickness and hunger, you can get your stats into the 40s with herbs and learning to 50+ with gems, and exchange them! :)

Certain corruptions will also help raise stats as well as items that give stat penalties.

Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:40 (GMT -5)

Is potion of balance depended on your base stat or modified?
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 12:48 (GMT -5)

Depends on your modified stat, but it caps very early, and won't raise stats beyond that cap.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 13:15 (GMT -5)

You'd have to have a hell of a lot of patience to raise your stats that high with Crystals of Knowledge; you have a mere 1% chance at getting a boost once you're already at 29 or more Learning.

It's not like this kind of excessive stat scumming is at all necessary anyway, but if you're going for it you might as well wait until you find a ring of weakness (or wish for one) to reduce the tedium a fair bit.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 13:21 (GMT -5)

Well, you can starve learning, I believe that is what he meant.

I agree though, on the "excessive stat scumming", I don't want to go though that much trouble; I am happy with 30 or 35.

Although, I still have to disagree with you on the ring of weakness, it's just to rare, and there are, imo, better things to wish for.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 14:09 (GMT -5)

It IS quite rare, this is true. I'm just saying that if you're going to be trying to get 50+ of all your stats, it's going to be an easier route than most other options =) Starve-scumming is generally plenty sufficient to get solid 30-range stats; Exchange isn't that important here as you'll already be getting the most important stats generally speaking, though if you happen to have an unusually high amount of exchange it might be worth playing with. I'd generally prefer to play with it and items myself, hehe.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 15:13 (GMT -5)

Actually, the chance is far higher than 1%, and the mechanics work differently from herbs.
The cap for gems is 30, but you can get +1 or +2, and a +2 result is lost if you're at 29 since it would take you over 30. If you roll a +2, you don't get +1 instead, a +2 result from 29 is simply lost. It's easier to go up from 28 since either result will apply, and a +2 will take you straight to 30.

With starve/sick, you can go to 50+, but starve is riskier than sick. If you only use one, sick is the safer choice.

Of course, crystals in general are not a resource readily available in large quantities.
Only a few race/classes get gems, but everybody can get herbalism, and that includes 3 stats plus unlimited starve/sick capability. Potions of exchange are great with this.

Rings of weakness are that rare... More rare than amulets of life saving or djinni rings. About the only things more rare are wands of wishing and ibm manuals.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 17:28 (GMT -5)

Yes, obviously thy are different; I know exactly how the mechanics work. There is no actual cap, as you always have a 1% chance of an increase, but the soft cap (where it becomes 1%) is at 29. On the other end, you'll always gain if you're at 19 or less Learning. You ALWAYS gain 1d2 Learning - there is never any lost +2 result as you describe.

Stethoscopes and Artifacts are, of course, rarer still =)
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 20:33 (GMT -5)

And if you modified your stats with a boost potion will a potion of balance deduct from you temporary modification or from your base stat?
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 07:59 (GMT -5)

Pretty much everything in ADOM determines stuff based on your current amount of a stat (after counting all boosts, equipment, corruptions, etc.) This means that you may want to take off certain equipment before eating certain corpses, or that yes, you can boost a junk stat so that balance will lower it but maybe raise someone else, if you do it right.

(Cursed boost only boosts less, so no luck with a temporary reduction there.)
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 13:08 (GMT -5)

"Pretty much everything in ADOM determines stuff based on your current amount of a stat" - Twinge

Herbs, corpses, training and crystals do. But potions of <stat>, PofGA and apparently Garth don't go off your modified stats. So it is closer to half and half.

Also, there is no guarantee that losing stats works in the same way as gaining stats.

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 14:15 (GMT -5)

Garth *absolutely* does. It costs more the higher your stat is, ramping up very quickly. Potions of Gain stat don't go off of _anything_, because they're just a flat +1 gain no matter what, and your stat is irrelevant unless 99. (A few corpses are also a flat +1, but not very many.)

Losing stats is almost always a guaranteed effect, and thus also irrelevant. Negative stat training is still based on your current stat amount at the time it does a training check.

[Edited 1 time, last edit on 12/23/2009 at 22:27 (GMT -5) by Twinge]
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 21:08 (GMT -5)

Don't worry about it Twinge; I don't want to aruge over it. I'll just tried it out see what happens.
AshenPlanet
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 21:34 (GMT -5)

Garth is based off your actual stat and not your current stat.
Rings of weakness would be even more powerful than they already are if this was not the case...

Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 at 22:26 (GMT -5)

Oh failure, that one is completely my mistake. I could've sworn I had tested that before, but I guess my memory lied to me! (Maybe I had just assumed it was based on active stat since everything else is...)

Checking, it looks like the only other areas that should be based on your actual stat are Class Summons/Necromancy abilities (obviously they won't work if your actual stat is too low to draw from) and sort of for Potions of Potential; those and Garth are seriously the only relevant things that check your base stat (the only other things that do are for displaying them).

Rings of Weakness are still somewhat useful there, because they lower the difficulty of the training check, but they do not lower the cost of training itself.
Jbc
Unregistered user
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 at 00:47 (GMT -5)

" I could've sworn I had tested that before, but I guess my memory lied to me!" - Twinge

Happens to us all.

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: