Register new account
Edit account
Search

Ancient Domains Of Mystery, forum overview / Spoilers / Mining Trouble

Online users ( Unknown)
Application object not working properly at the moment, no clue who is online...

* Numbers in parentheses are the number of minutes since the user last loaded a page. Logged-in users time out after 40 minutes (unless they manually log out), lurkers and anonymous posters after 20.

Halp
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 04:25 (GMT -5)

I am having some problems trying to smith.

I have tried digging for ores but after a very short amount of time ADOM will crash after I walk over some rocks and I will lose my save. This only seems to happen when digging since I have also gotten this crash when digging for completely unrelated reasons such as digging shortcuts through levels and once by digging to the fire temple.

It does not seem to matter how many rocks there are to crash the game since I have crashed with barely any rocks at all dug out. This is very annoying to lose a character like this and I would like to know if there is any solution for this at all other then constantly backing up my saves and hope that it does not happen.
Portrait
Jan Erik
Administrator

Last page view:

16 hours, 38 minutes and 25 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 05:24 (GMT -5)

Do you have auto-picup turned on? If so try to turn it off or exclude rocks at least.

I vaguely seem to recall there being some kind of crash bug related to auto-pickup and rocks or something like that...
Jan Erik Mydland
HoF admin
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

4909 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 05:53 (GMT -5)

What version are you using?

If you are using windows the winbeta4 seem to be the most stable.

Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

4239 days, 12 hours, 55 minutes and 15 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 08:16 (GMT -5)

I find ADOM Sage to be the most stable, but it seems everyone's set-up is different.

I've heard of crash problems from too many items on a level, and in particular when monsters start picking up those items. However you really shouldn't have these sorts of troubles simply digging into temples or doing small amounts of digging. Does the same problem happen on levels with ants?
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Halp
Unregistered user
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 13:52 (GMT -5)

I do not have auto pickup turned on. I was not really aware of such a setting.

I am using the latest 1.1.1 Winbeta4 and have tried ADOM Sage as well but I have had the crash happen with both.

Yes ants specifically have done this when I tried using them to dig out ore for me.

Also now that I think about it, most of the times I have had this crash I had fought a large amount of enemies that left large piles of things in addition to digging out places for ores.

But I do recall enemies being able to pick up large amounts of rocks and ore and being able to just kill them and take it before crashing.
Twinge
Registered user
Communist in Disguise

Last page view:

5194 days, 19 hours, 52 minutes and 4 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 15:17 (GMT -5)

Items can be generated incorrectly, and stepping on them (or if you were carrying them, dropping them en masse) can cause crashes; this is usually associated with ingots rather than ore, though.
Jbc
Registered user

Last page view:

4909 days, 1 hour, 20 minutes and 20 seconds ago.
Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 17:19 (GMT -5)

What is your operating system?
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Monday, December 28, 2009 at 19:11 (GMT -5)

Personally I always pacify levels before doing any major mining because the game is known to crash from enemies picking up or dropping too much stuff.

Pacifying, in case you weren't aware, normally involves trapping at least 40 enemies (normally breeders like worms or jellies) behind locked doors so no further enemies are generated. You can then mine in peace without being interfered with by nuisance enemies.
Waldenbrook, the dwarven shopkeeper, mumbles: "I'd offer 9 gold pieces for yer dwarven child corpse."
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1885 days, 8 hours, 28 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 10:09 (GMT -5)

does pacification apply to all levels? i only ever thought about the big room...
Darren Grey
Registered user

Last page view:

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 16:25 (GMT -5)

Yup, works on all levels. Can be handy if you find a forge level or herbs on some other level and want some peace during your scumming sessions.
Portrait
Naiyor
Registered user

Last page view:

1885 days, 8 hours, 28 minutes and 14 seconds ago.
Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:55 (GMT -5)

i cat believe ii didnt make connection this will really help with herbs and forging...do you know how long i have been playing *cough,1995, cough*

Color mixer:
Red: Green: Blue: HTML color code: result:      
Your Name: Check to login:

Your Message:

Read the
formating help
Are you a spambot? Yes No Maybe Huh?
Create poll? Yes No   What is this?
Poll question: